November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
kookabay still around?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 01:00:02 MDT Print View

Howdy Folks,
It's been some time since I've been around here. A number of years of traveling and growing up will do that to you I guess. Anyhow I am back in the states and remember before I left that the guy at Kookabay could make me a custom 2 person DAM. I just looked and can't seem to find the company anywhere. Any insights?
many thanks,

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 01:02:22 MDT Print View

No. Iirc, no reason was given for closing down. One member was asked if he'd like to buy the business.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Kooka on 10/09/2012 01:42:46 MDT Print View

Bottom line is that Kooka Bay is no more. It's a shame really as I love my Kooka Bay mat. However, there are now a lot more UL pads available from mainstream manufactures than when Kooka Bay started out.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

bummer on 10/09/2012 12:49:52 MDT Print View

Yea, I've had my ear to the ground with a lot of these new mats but man, there is no replacement for a plush down mat underneath you, especially a double wide that keeps a lady happy and warm. Weight I'll happily carry anyday. I'll see if i can dig up the old emails and get in touch.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: bummer on 10/09/2012 13:42:06 MDT Print View

What about the Exped ul downmat? It is 19.5oz for a 20x72. You could strap 2 together and only take 1 of the 1.7oz pumpsacks. I don't think Kookabay was a whole lot lighter, at least in that size with the same 6oz of down.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Deep Frreze
Re: Re: bummer on 10/09/2012 15:28:28 MDT Print View

I really like my Down Mat UL7, it's just as nice and weighs the same as a similar rated Kookabay pad I had in the past.

Matt DeLapp
(ATrocket10) - F
2 person pad? on 10/09/2012 15:50:01 MDT Print View

Are there any relatively lightweight 2 person sleeping pads on the market? or is tying two pads side by side together the way to go?

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 16:12:09 MDT Print View

There's definitely still a market for custom pads - doubles and a short wide pad (I would love one of these.) But I don't think Bender is going to be contactable.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

double wide on 10/09/2012 23:27:27 MDT Print View

Yea, strapping two together has never worked for me, the weakspot is always right where the snuggle happens.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife
kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 23:33:06 MDT Print View

It is certainly too bad that nobody has stepped up to fill this gap! I feel fortunate in that I acquired a Bender pad before he disappeared from view.

One problem with coupling the Exped mats is that the outer tubes are a little bigger than the inner ones. This is great for one person trying not to roll off a single pad, but not for two people trying to snuggle together over two larger tubes!

Edited by hikinggranny on 10/09/2012 23:34:44 MDT.