Forum Index » GEAR » kookabay still around?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 01:00:02 MDT Print View

Howdy Folks,
It's been some time since I've been around here. A number of years of traveling and growing up will do that to you I guess. Anyhow I am back in the states and remember before I left that the guy at Kookabay could make me a custom 2 person DAM. I just looked and can't seem to find the company anywhere. Any insights?
many thanks,
Sean

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 01:02:22 MDT Print View

No. Iirc, no reason was given for closing down. One member was asked if he'd like to buy the business.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Kooka on 10/09/2012 01:42:46 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42520&startat=100

Bottom line is that Kooka Bay is no more. It's a shame really as I love my Kooka Bay mat. However, there are now a lot more UL pads available from mainstream manufactures than when Kooka Bay started out.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

bummer on 10/09/2012 12:49:52 MDT Print View

Yea, I've had my ear to the ground with a lot of these new mats but man, there is no replacement for a plush down mat underneath you, especially a double wide that keeps a lady happy and warm. Weight I'll happily carry anyday. I'll see if i can dig up the old emails and get in touch.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: bummer on 10/09/2012 13:42:06 MDT Print View

What about the Exped ul downmat? It is 19.5oz for a 20x72. You could strap 2 together and only take 1 of the 1.7oz pumpsacks. I don't think Kookabay was a whole lot lighter, at least in that size with the same 6oz of down.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Re: bummer on 10/09/2012 15:28:28 MDT Print View

I really like my Down Mat UL7, it's just as nice and weighs the same as a similar rated Kookabay pad I had in the past.

Matt DeLapp
(ATrocket10) - F
2 person pad? on 10/09/2012 15:50:01 MDT Print View

Are there any relatively lightweight 2 person sleeping pads on the market? or is tying two pads side by side together the way to go?

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 16:12:09 MDT Print View

There's definitely still a market for custom pads - doubles and a short wide pad (I would love one of these.) But I don't think Bender is going to be contactable.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

double wide on 10/09/2012 23:27:27 MDT Print View

Yea, strapping two together has never worked for me, the weakspot is always right where the snuggle happens.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
kookabay still around? on 10/09/2012 23:33:06 MDT Print View

It is certainly too bad that nobody has stepped up to fill this gap! I feel fortunate in that I acquired a Bender pad before he disappeared from view.

One problem with coupling the Exped mats is that the outer tubes are a little bigger than the inner ones. This is great for one person trying not to roll off a single pad, but not for two people trying to snuggle together over two larger tubes!

Edited by hikinggranny on 10/09/2012 23:34:44 MDT.