Forum Index » Chaff » Hello from a nomad in Alaska

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Tinker
(NomadicStoveCo) - F

Locale: Land of the -70F winters
Hello from a nomad in Alaska on 10/08/2012 15:14:50 MDT Print View

Hello everyone, I couldn't find an appropriate section to post an introduction so I decided to put it here.

My wife and I are nomadic metalworkers currently in the coldest part of Alaska short of the Arctic Circle. I am the apprentice of Fritz Handel, maker of the Bushbuddy stove and occasionally travel to live with him for several weeks of the year.

I have been reading BackpackingLight for many years and have learned much from it. As nomads, having our equipment being as light as possible is more of a lifestyle rather than recreation. All of the possessions we carry are multi-use and usually a smaller or more compact version of the actual thing. For example, we only have camping cookware for use at home and we sleep on closed-cell foam pads every day of the year. The machinery we use to make the stoves are also either made by ourselves or are highly modified to reduce weight. Many people will be surprised to hear that the lathe used to make our stoves can be carried with one hand!

Thank you for letting me join the forum and thank you for providing the ultralight knowledge to make our nomadic lives easier.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Hello from a nomad in Alaska on 10/08/2012 15:45:24 MDT Print View

It would be interesting to know more

For example, what is your lathe?

Do you stay in tent/cabin/...

Jeff Tinker
(NomadicStoveCo) - F

Locale: Land of the -70F winters
Re: Re: Hello from a nomad in Alaska on 10/08/2012 16:34:50 MDT Print View

Hi Jerry,

I'm glad you're asking questions, I've been so accustomed to just answering that I don't really know what people are interested in hearing. My lathe is an abomination of a thing---stripped of many part with sections chopped off for weight savings and extra welded joints for stovemaking. In the near future, it will also have more surgery with the addition of titanium limbs, hopefully.

We are currently staying in a cabin in the middle of the woods although our shelter always changes. It could be a large tepee, tent, ger, a cabin, the "Tinker Caravan", etc. In our travels, we have made many friends in the "pathway" of life and many welcome us to stay with them. If there is some place specific that we want to be in, we would rent from the property owner. If we need to be in "state land" we would call the local officials to let them know and hear of anything they need to tell us. We are not actually required to call since we only stay temporarily and always much shorter than their maximum time. However, it is nice to know the local news and to have someone know we're there in case of emergency. Where we go is sometimes decided upon a whim but when decided more sensibly, it is related to where the food is, where the salmon run are, and where firewood is. Since we don't have time to wait for wood to dry, we can only harvest wood that is already dead and dried.