The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: pots sliding off canister stoves on 02/06/2013 20:03:18 MST Print View

Roger Caffin wrote: Forgive me if I sound biased, but my personal opinion is that the Pocket Rocket is a really good stove to avoid! Any of the latest generation of stoves would be miles better. (eg ones from Snow Peak, Fire Maple, Kovea ...)

Cheers
Here, here. I've never quite understood the devoted following the PR has. It's just not that good of a stove. It's an older generation. The stove world has moved on.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

FMS-300T on 02/06/2013 20:32:27 MST Print View

Tracksterman clearly has a dud. Other FMS-300T's (Roger's) appear to be working fine, but I do worry a bit about Chinese stove manufacturer's quality control in general.

When I see stoves from Kovea, Snow Peak, MSR, etc (possibly all of them actually made by Kovea), the fit, finish, and design are much more advanced, which inspires greater confidence in me.

Still, the Chinese are doing interesting things in terms of lightening stoves up and trying new designs, and for that I commend them.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: pots sliding off canister stoves on 02/06/2013 21:15:54 MST Print View

My pot slid off a Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight once, but that was my own stupidity. I now have a windscreen attached to my pot, which aslo prevents it from sliding off.

I've been using my Pocket Rocket for a while.

Roger says the flame is too concentrated in the center. Now, in one way, it doesn't matter, it spreads out from there so it doesn't matter. I just boil water. Except, I simmer oatmeal for just a bit before I turn it off, and sometimes there's a burned spot at the bottom if I don't turn it down and stir it vigorously. But the Exponent was almost as bad. Next time I'll get a different stove.

The fact that it's old technology is good in a way. Proven. PR weighs 3 ounces. Other stoves weigh 1.5 or 2 ounces so that hardly matters. Efficiency is identical.

I just glanced at the new lighter weight Pocket Rocket and it appears to have the same burner that's concentrated in the center.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: pots sliding off canister stoves on 02/06/2013 22:26:54 MST Print View

I was thinking in terms of pot stability and compactness as well as the durability of the pot supports. There are so many stoves that are SO much better than the PR.

In terms of efficiency, I don't think you're going to see a drastic difference unless you use something like a Jetboil.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains
The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove on 03/25/2013 12:34:30 MDT Print View

Does anybody have a good source to buy the Fire Maple 300T? All the ebay ones come from China and I need mine by April 05.

Todd Ler
(Toddler) - F

Locale: PNW
gnat on 03/25/2013 14:26:40 MDT Print View

If you can't find the fire maple 300T, their next lightest model the 116t aka monatauk gnat(1.69oz) is on sale $47.96 @ campsaver.

The snow peak lite max(1.9oz) is also on sale $50.96

Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains
The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" on 03/25/2013 15:59:23 MDT Print View

Thanks I ordered the Gnat

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" on 03/25/2013 16:08:11 MDT Print View

That's a really good price on the Lite Max which is a much more compact stove than the Gnat and has really good pot stability.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

A D
(wentworth) - F
Stove problem on 03/25/2013 17:32:08 MDT Print View

I've been having an issue with the hornet on a few trips. After screwing it to the canister (as tight as it will reasonably go) and lighting it, the flame sputters and grows low after about 30 seconds. I checked the thread and found that I was now able to screw it even tighter. Thermal expansion of the titanium or aluminium canister?
This allowed the stove to burn as normal for another 30 seconds or so before the flame dropped again.
I don't think it's a blockage, or it would surely be present every time I use the stove.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Stove problem on 03/25/2013 17:36:22 MDT Print View

Hi AD

Don't screw the stove on too tight. You will just strip the thread on the stove.

Dying flame - that's not 'sputtering. That's a blockage in the jet.You need to remove the jet and clean it, carefully.
Read http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/essential_stove_maintenance.html

Cheers

A D
(wentworth) - F
stove on 03/25/2013 17:50:13 MDT Print View

thanks Roger.
If it were a blocked jet, why would the stove return to a normal flame on the next usage and then suffer the same problem?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: stove on 03/25/2013 20:32:37 MDT Print View

I had one canister do that with pocket rocket.

Comes on fine. 30 seconds later gets low so I screw it tighter, then it's okay. Then 30 seconds later same thing. Then it works okay from then on.

Other canisters work just fine.

Must be some tolerance thing with lindal valves on different canisters and the pin on the pocket rocket.

When I remove the outer washer on the pocket rocket, then I can screw it tighter and there's no problem.

Richard Colfack
(richfax) - MLife

Locale: ARIZONA
Fire Maple FMS-300T Wasp on 03/25/2013 22:12:46 MDT Print View

After reading Will's recent review I decided to order the Wasp. It was $58 (free shipping) and I ordered it on March 13 from a Hong Kong Ebay seller and received it March 25. That's sooner than expected and they threw in a free Fire Maple shorty titanium spoon. I just weighed it on my scale and it's exactly 45 grams as advertised. I did one burn on it with absolutely no issues.

My first impression was "WOW this thing is super tiny and light". Almost half the weight of my MSR Pocket Rocket (45g vs 84g) and much smaller. Pot stability was "as expected" for such a small 3-point contact stove. I do not think it is any worse or better than the Pocket Rocket's stability. The Wasp is shorter, which makes for a lower center of gravity. My next impression was "this thing sounds like a jet engine". It's louder than the Pocket Rocket on full blast. I was a bit worried that the low stove height could potentially warm and overheat the canister but no issues there. A few folks commented they are worried that it's made in China. I'm not. The Toshiba laptop that I'm typing on says "Made in China" as is probably 90% of what's in my house and most every other U.S. household.

I was perfectly happy with my Pocket Rocket but I think the Fire Maple is a keeper and could become my go to UL Canister stove. Only a long-term field test will tell if I go back to using my trusty Pocket Rocket.Side by Side ComparisonWasp on canister45g Weightsize comparison

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Fire Maple FMS-300T Wasp on 03/25/2013 22:50:49 MDT Print View

Thanks for posting more pics of the Hornet (it's the Hornet, right, not the Wasp? Or ??) Looks tiny next to a PocketRocket (which is actually pretty big, but good contrast).

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Defective FMS-300T from AliExpress --repair ideas? on 04/04/2013 16:02:25 MDT Print View

Purchased one of these from AliExpress which is frustratingly flawed. The tabs on the three armed ring, just below the burner, are all bent downward where they're supposed to make the vertical turn to hold the pivot to which the pot support arms are attached, completely screwing up the pot support geometry. As result, the pot supports contact the underside of the pot only at their innermost points; the serrated edges extending radially are all bent downward, and hence completely useless.

There's no way this was shipping damage, as the package arrived in good shape, and all three arms are bent--there's no force that could have bent them all, without also crushing the burner assembly

Amazingly cynical behavior on the part of the manufacturer, to ship something this defective.

It's too bad, because otherwise this looks like an excellent, or even an amazing, stove.

The only other potential glitch is that the underside of the block which houses the valve contacts the one canister I tried just about when the inner o-ring is being compressed, limiting further tightening. So if the distance from the top flange of the fuel canister to the inner o-ring seat at the bottom of its well is not precisely controlled, one could get an incomplete seal. On the other hand, if that parameter is well-controlled, the contact is probably a good conduction path for some heat from the burner to reach the canister.

Have managed to separate the damaged ring, and will attempt to re-flatten it, perhaps in a vice.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cold-working titanium?

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Hang on just a minute on 04/04/2013 16:43:40 MDT Print View

I think I may have fixed it. Using some smooth-jawed pliers, I applied some CTFOOI (Crush the F..Out Of It) force to the horizontal plane of the pot-support flange assembly, and bent its wings back to flat, with the result that the pot support serrations are now all in the same plane. So maybe it was shipping damage after all, and titanium is just not all that hard to bend.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Defective FMS-300T from AliExpress --repair ideas? on 04/04/2013 16:50:13 MDT Print View

Yipes. That sounds pretty darned bad. I couldn't completely visualize what you were saying. Do you have any photos?

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Further thoughts and adventures on 04/04/2013 18:39:36 MDT Print View

Realized I could interpose a stainless steel washer between the upper brass nut and the underside of the ring/flange pot support holder assembly, which would help keep it from ever being bent down again.

Used a stainless washer, nominally 7/16" with a .9" OD, in which I had to grind 3 small flats to let the supports swing down freely , ~ 1/16 thick, which added .1 oz but of course didn't affect the stove's wonderful packability.

Just fired it up, and had no problems bringing 2 cups of water to a boil in fairly short order, with no flagging in the flame, even without having it completely maxed out. Pot supports were cherry red, but that's one thing that titanium is very good for--retaining its strength when very hot.

Edited by swimjay on 04/04/2013 18:49:21 MDT.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Photo of washer mod on 04/04/2013 19:11:15 MDT Print View

Stove with stainless washer between upper brass nut and ring/flange assembly

Here's a photo of the stainless washer between the upper nut and the the re-flattened ring/flange with the three upwardly bent tabs, each of which carries a pot support. The ring/flange had been bent downward at each tab, causing the top/bearing-surfaces of the pot supports to lie out of plane.

A slight hassle to do the fix, but having had to take it apart, I now feel like I understand much better how the stove works.

Edited by swimjay on 04/04/2013 19:19:49 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Hang on just a minute on 04/05/2013 03:12:39 MDT Print View

> So maybe it was shipping damage after all, and titanium is just not all
> that hard to bend.

I would suspect shipping damage, like a very hard thump lengthwise.

No, some alloys of Ti are not that hard to bend. 6Al4V is almost impossible, but CP is easy enough. Given the stamping and bending the parts have, I would suspect CP myself.

Cheers