Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 15:55:37 MDT Print View

"it makes a noise like an XGK for some weird reason"

That's a multiple purpose item. It doubles as an alarm clock.

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 15:58:30 MDT Print View

> Because its performance is HIGHLY wind affected
Not really, in my experience.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Torch on 10/08/2012 19:21:22 MDT Print View

It appears the Fire-Maple stove is a "torch" with that small diameter burner that does not even angle its flame outward. This creates a hot spot.

That's particularly bad for those with low heat radiant Ti pots who actually want to cook, as opposed to merely boil water. Ti pots need all the flame spread they can get from a backpacking stove.

I went with a Brunton Crux and gifted my lighter Vargo Jet-Ti stove B/C the Crux has a wider burner ring.

Edited by Danepacker on 10/08/2012 19:24:05 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: Torch on 10/08/2012 19:32:45 MDT Print View

> It appears the Fire-Maple stove is a "torch" with that small diameter burner that
> does not even angle its flame outward. This creates a hot spot.
That's the funny thing. The burner looks as though it should focus, but it seemed to spread out a fair bit under my Ti pot. It's very different from a conventional burner.

Cheers

Nick G
(HermesUL) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re on 10/08/2012 22:02:58 MDT Print View

"That is where my thought went for my Long Trail hike.. 1 100g canister went the whole way. 16-18 boils and still has some left. equivalent of alcohol would have been heavier, slower, and more finicky. a few more ounces for a canister stove is worth the aggravation for sure."

I did the Long Trail too, with my Esbit stove (admittedly the 3 oz version before I switched to the 0.3 oz titanium. Restocking every 4-5 days, which is necessary because of food, meant carrying a max of 70 g of fuel at any given time, usually less. My total stove+fuel kit, when restocking every 5th day, weighs 78.4 g on the first day and 8.4 g on the way out, which is significantly less than a canister stove could ever weigh, until they come up with a new kind of canister. Admittedly, if you're in a situation where you can't restock except every 16 refills, the Esbit option would weigh 232 g. However, at that point you've got over 30 pounds of food on your back, so you'd probably not notice.

Not to say that canister stoves don't have their place, which they do. I have one within arm's reach at the moment. It weighs much more than the 41 g of this new device.

I was mostly just making a wisecrack. And for the record, my interpretation of the phrase "World's Lightest Tent" is actually more like, "Extremely heavy poncho-tarp (without the poncho)".

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" on 10/08/2012 22:29:31 MDT Print View

Well I love my Caldera Cone but it it definitely is NOT the lightest canister stove...
Here is one reason why I don't like Esbit.. (others have their own...)
It smells and I am not particularly keen to breath formaldehyde or ammonia as I boil water.
(that could already be two reasons)
Another reason is that some actually cook so they prefer a burner that has variable heat output.
Yes you can use 1/2 a tablet or 2 tablets but it isn't the same.
as it stands that FMS 300T appears to be the lightest commercially available stove.
(the commercially available should be understood by the context...)

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 10/08/2012 22:53:51 MDT Print View

Nick, I resupplied 4 times in 18 days.. none of the places would have had esbit except maybe the EMS in Manch center. i don't like the idea of mail drops because plans change.

I can see where esbit would be great, i just haven't tried it yet. I am mostly just a fan of the light, boil, off. I cooked inside, outside, in shelters, on tables etc and never worried about it.

for now i like the pocket rocket.. gf got it for my bday for $10 at REI garage sale so it's easy, cheap and much lighter than the Whisperlight that sits very lonely in the bottom of the gear bin

Peter S (masc. über linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/10/2012 01:55:05 MDT Print View

Roger Caffin wrote: "I have been field testing the FMS-300 for some time..."

Very exciting Roger! Do you happen to have any information about when it will be ready for purchase?

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/10/2012 06:35:00 MDT Print View

Sounds like Roger isn't the only one impressed with the FMS-300.

(prse) - MLife

Tracksterman on 11/29/2012 04:07:32 MST Print View

has got a hold of one on November 27.: http://tracksterman.tumblr.com/

(prse) - MLife

Tracksterman on 11/29/2012 04:07:32 MST Print View

Edit: deleted - double post

Edited by prse on 11/29/2012 04:41:53 MST.

carlos fernandez rivas
(pitagorin) - MLife

Locale: Galicia -Spain
The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove on 11/29/2012 05:56:16 MST Print View

Ummm

Interesting... a titanium version of his FMS-118 Volcano Gas Stove will be a really interesting winter option

http://fire-maple.com/products_del.html?news_id=72&c_id=5&cate_id=8

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
pots sliding off cannister stoves on 11/29/2012 09:49:17 MST Print View

The one time I cooked on a cannister stove, I was backpacking with a friend, using her stove, and my pot kept sliding off her stove and dumping water. I was not impressed. I was using a AGG 2 L pot, so more wide than tall. Her stove was an MSR cannister, so probably a Pocket Rocket. Are there particular stoves whose designs reduce this risk, or is this a problem for all of them?

I like the fact that the wind screen on the Caldera Cone holds my pot securely.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: pots sliding off cannister stoves on 11/29/2012 12:18:24 MST Print View

This can happen, and has happened to me. It helps if the stove is level, but that is not always possible. I have found 2 good solutions -

1) The Coleman Extreme pots have a grooved base - review here http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=62183&cat=Cookware%20-%20Other&cid=44

2) I modified the base of an AGG aluminium pot to create a rim - thread here

Edited by Scunnered on 11/29/2012 12:20:22 MST.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 11/29/2012 13:13:54 MST Print View

So how do I get one?

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Pot slipping off on 11/29/2012 20:01:07 MST Print View

Diane,

Get a Jetboil system. Designed to avoid that problem. And worth every extra ounce for its reliability, efficiency, and versatility.

Richard

(prse) - MLife

Dissapointed on 12/03/2012 16:37:44 MST Print View

Reading the posts from tracksterman (november 27 + 30 2012)

I'm no longer interested in the FMS-300T - read and judge...

/Peter

Edited by prse on 12/03/2012 16:41:09 MST.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 12/03/2012 20:48:34 MST Print View

I believe the FMS-300 is currently available for sale. It's even on eBay.

I read what Tracksterman had to say about his stove. Dunno what he was doing wrong, as the one I have works very well. I took it to Europe for 2 months this year and never had any problems with it at all. It worked well.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: pots sliding off cannister stoves on 12/03/2012 20:52:33 MST Print View

Hi Diane

> Her stove was an MSR cannister, so probably a Pocket Rocket. Are there particular
> stoves whose designs reduce this risk, or is this a problem for all of them?
Forgive me if I sound biased, but my personal opinion is that the Pocket Rocket is a really good stove to avoid! Any of the latest generation of stoves would be miles better. (eg ones from Snow Peak, Fire Maple, Kovea ...)

Cheers

(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 12/04/2012 01:30:41 MST Print View

@Caffin: And now it's interesting again :-)

Thanks