The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Good to learn on 04/05/2013 10:15:25 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info re titanium alloys, Roger!

Another thing about this stove, that I don't recall if I've seen mentioned, is that it simmers like a champ! The flame is very controlled over its broad range, with no sputtering.

Re reliability and field maintenance: though it goes counter to everything we've learned at BPL school, these stoves are light enough and small enough that one could simply carry two. (On longer trips, of course).

Edited by swimjay on 04/05/2013 10:22:36 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: stove on 04/05/2013 15:11:12 MDT Print View

> If it were a blocked jet, why would the stove return to a normal flame on the
> next usage and then suffer the same problem?

Common. It means that whatever is causing the blockage is not really jammed in place. It falls back, then gets blown up to the hole again. Most annoying! Strip and clean.

Note that some recent stoves have a sintered brass filter inside the jet. This is a stupid idea, and I have told FM so. If that gets blocked there is almost no way to clean it out! At home, drill (VERY CAREFULLY!) the plug of sinter out - use a bench drill and a vice, not a pistol drill. Replace with a tiny bit of TP - a tiny bit. If that gets blocked, remove and replace the TP. Do NOT jam a lot of TP into the cavity.

Cheers

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: FMS-300t Jet Blockages on 04/05/2013 20:44:34 MDT Print View

Well, not to be a Luddite with respect to new technology, but I think I'll hold off on picking up a Hornet/FMS-300t until they get the jet blockage issue resolved. I don't have access to the tools to resolve something like that, and, well, it just seems like something that fundamental ought to be taken care of before the product is shipped.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
re:"The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" Where to buy on 04/07/2013 12:26:48 MDT Print View

For those of you who have pulled the trigger on one of these where is the most reliable place to buy one.

I've seen them on AliExpress for ~$44 and on Amazon for over 70$

Big difference in price, not sure why.

Any advice on where to purchase?

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: re:"The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" Where to buy on 04/07/2013 14:51:15 MDT Print View

Try eBay too. I'd say in general buying direct from Chinese sellers is a lot cheaper. Import duties and taxes are not included in that however.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
AliExpress on 04/09/2013 01:17:23 MDT Print View

Purchased my FMS-300t from AliExpress. Shipping was reasonably quick (and free), given the distance involved. Item arrived damaged (see previous posts), but was able to fix it (mostly--one of the pot supports now pivots only with difficulty).

AliExpress has a dispute process, which I've initiated, more to communicate their need to use stronger shipping containers than to receive compensation (had to ask for at least .01 for dispute form to be sendable).

My guess is that AE represents a lot of firms willing to ship overseas, as an order clearing house, so there's some potential for chaos, but aside from shipping damage, process went smoothly. Will report on their response to the "dispute."

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Re: AliExpress on 04/09/2013 21:29:39 MDT Print View

Just pulled the trigger with Aliexpress for $44. I'll report how the shipping goes. I ordered some titanium pots from China a few years back without any problems. Hopefully this works out too.

m

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: "The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" Where to buy on 04/09/2013 22:48:26 MDT Print View

The only concern I have here is that sintered brass filter in the base of the jet. If you don't drill it out, it could get blocked, and there's no way to clear it in the field (well unless you brought some carburetor cleaner with you and maybe not even then).

So, unless you're prepared to do the necessary mods, I would not take the stove to the field just yet.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Patrick O'Neil
(human) - F
Re: Re: "The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" Where to buy on 04/13/2013 06:17:41 MDT Print View

Just wanted to chime in and saythat i bought one these off ebay. Not sure why really when i have plenty of other things to lose ounces on. 3 bucks shipping and got to canada in a couple of weeks no duties or taxes on arrival. I put iton a cannister just to test, lit it and evrything seemed fine although i find i have to screw it on tighter than my gigapower. I havent tested it with any of my pots yet. .

Patrick O'Neil
(human) - F
Re: Re: Re: "The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?" Where to buy on 04/13/2013 06:24:05 MDT Print View

Edit previous comment removed. Turns out the cannister had problems on my gigapower as well. Tried a jetboil can everything fine. I think ill bring both on a trip in early may.

Edited by human on 04/13/2013 06:33:50 MDT.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

AliExpress order fullfilled on 04/26/2013 21:57:08 MDT Print View

So my stove arrived yesterday. 16 days from the date of order. I had requested original packaging and that a box be used to prevent damage. As you can see in the photos the shipper complied. For $44 I am please with the experience so far. Tested the stove briefly with no issues. Obviously it needs more robust testing in the field but it's a nicely made piece of gear. Roger if you have time I would love a picture of the location of the sintered brass ball filter that you drilled out. I could not easily locate this. My work has a machinist on staff and I would like to have him look at the possibility of drilling this out for me. It would help to have picture showing where and what needs drilling out.

Comparison with my old primus crux (early model, which at the time was very light)which is still working great except the piezzo lighter does not work reliably. If this new stove is reliable it will be its replacement

Edited by drown on 04/26/2013 22:00:52 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Hacking the jet filter on 04/27/2013 04:20:27 MDT Print View

Hi all

As requested.
Mods to Fire Maple jet - remove filter
First remove burner as shown, by unlocking the lower nut. Then remove the jet with a spanner.

The filter is the plug of very tiny sintered brass balls in the left jet.
Hold the jet in a good vice in good drill press or mill, and carefully drill out the filter plug. A 2.5 mm bit would be fine. When you get nearly all the way through the plug it will usually break up, or grab on the drill bit. Extract it. Clean out the insdie with a cotton bud - nothing harder.

Replace the jet and tighten gently - a little beyond finger tight. This prevents leaks at the side.

CAUTION: do not poke the drill bit any further in, or you will have a jet with a 2.5 mm hole. This does not work very well.

Middle jet shows no filter plug. Right jet shows a tiny bit of TP stuffed in cavity as a filter. This works just fine and can be field serviced - provided you carry TP.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 04/27/2013 04:21:50 MDT.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/27/2013 06:29:50 MDT Print View

Excellent!!! Thank you very much.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/27/2013 12:17:52 MDT Print View

So why would I want to buy a stove that requires this kind of modification before I take it out?

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Re on 04/27/2013 22:42:45 MDT Print View

The mod makes it lighter! :)

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/28/2013 03:25:02 MDT Print View

Roger - did you try running this or any other FM stove with the filter removed from the jet and NO TP?

On my FMS-116T (Gnat) the sintered filter was loose so I took it out and tried it without. The stove did not work very well - the flame was lifting off quite badly. I concluded that the filter was causeing a pressure drop that was necessary for the given jet size. I pushed the filter back in firmly and it has been fine ever since (I did not think to try TP first).

cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/28/2013 04:34:26 MDT Print View

Hi Stuart

Um ... really not sure, now you ask. So a brief diversion to the lab.

FMS-300T with .32 mm jet and no TP at all: OK, no lift-off.
FMS-116T with .32 mm jet and no TP at all: OK, no lift-off.
FMS-116T with .30 mm jet and no TP at all: OK, no lift-off.
Various other combos - no flame lift off either.
Tried with Campingaz butane/propane, MSR Isobutane, and Kovea butane/isobutane/propane.

So - dunno what was aflicting yours. Very hot day perhaps? Air temp at test 22 C.

Also tried with TP wadged in hard, and yes that does reduce the pressure a bit. Not a lot, but enough that one could experiment to get optimum tuning IF one was suffering cabin fever badly.

Cheers

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/28/2013 05:00:35 MDT Print View

Hot day? Here??? YMBJ

Strange. I think I'll leave it alone for now.
cheers

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/29/2013 18:22:50 MDT Print View

So why would I want to buy a stove that requires this kind of modification before I take it out?
Well, if one wants the lightest canister stove available, then perhaps it's worth it.

The important thing is to go in with one's eyes open, i.e. knowing that one will need to modify the stove before use.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Hacking the jet filter on 04/29/2013 20:28:52 MDT Print View

"The important thing is to go in with one's eyes open, i.e. knowing that one will need to modify the stove before use."

The stove works without any modification, so I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Other than the one video posted is there any other evidence of malfunction? I plan on testing it as is through the summer. If needed I will drill it out but I'm not doing anything to it yet. We'll see what happens. I'll report back.

MG