Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter S (masc. über linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 04:52:41 MDT Print View

Hello

Browsing the Fire-Maple website i saw this:

FMS-300T
The FMS-300T

They are known for the very light FMS-116T (48g) (AKA Monatauk Gnat), but...

The new FMS-300T weighs 41g!

Edited by prse on 10/10/2012 15:28:28 MDT.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 05:36:49 MDT Print View

Because its performance is HIGHLY wind affected the 'true' weight would have to be compensated with extra stove fuel unless you cooked in your tent.

(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 06:25:36 MDT Print View

Compared to?

MSR micro rocket?
Monatauk Gnat?

Nick G
(HermesUL) - F
. on 10/08/2012 06:52:25 MDT Print View

Every time I see the phrase "World's Lightest Canister Stove", I translate it in my head to "World's Lightest Heavy Stove".

(prse) - MLife

Re: . on 10/08/2012 07:22:56 MDT Print View

Doesn't that depend on trip length, group size etc.?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: . on 10/08/2012 08:21:16 MDT Print View

"Every time I see the phrase "World's Lightest Canister Stove", I translate it in my head to "World's Lightest Heavy Stove"."

Conveniently leaving out the word "canister."

So when you hear, "Worlds lightest tent" you actually hear, "Worlds heaviest tarp" ?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: . on 10/08/2012 08:28:14 MDT Print View

"So when you hear, "Worlds lightest tent" you actually hear, "Worlds heaviest tarp" ?"

LOL!

Colton Akers
(Akers07) - F

Locale: Indiana
snowpeak litemax on 10/08/2012 08:52:40 MDT Print View

I have a snowpeak litemax that weighs 1.9oz. Not quite as light but pretty close. I use it as part of a 2 person cook system. I carry less fuel than alcohol stoves and my water is ready much faster and im eating sooner, which is worth the weight(wait?lol). The only downside is that we ocassionally have to carry a second cansiter, but the wife can carry that.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 10/08/2012 10:19:33 MDT Print View

Every time I see the phrase "World's Lightest Canister Stove", I translate it in my head to "World's Lightest Heavy Stove".

x2356778800

Bringing the exact amount of fuel you need is also nice, that's very hard to do with canisters.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re on 10/08/2012 10:34:55 MDT Print View

I've tried Esbit stoves.

They get bottom of pot dirty with some weird chemically stuff

I remember backpacking with someone. They had canister stove. It took forever to get water boiled with my Esbit. I probably should have used a bigger piece which would have helped.

I switched to canister after that.

I bet the BTUs per ounce for butane is bigger than Esbit, so if you do enough days canister will be lighter. Also, depending on how much water you boil per day.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re on 10/08/2012 10:46:57 MDT Print View

That is where my thought went for my Long Trail hike.. 1 100g canister went the whole way. 16-18 boils and still has some left. equivalent of alcohol would have been heavier, slower, and more finicky. a few more ounces for a canister stove is worth the aggravation for sure.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove on 10/08/2012 11:41:48 MDT Print View

Thanks for the heads up. I am a fan of canister stoves and like seeing their overall weight come down.

Randy Reamer
(Apathy) - F

Locale: Great White North
Hmm on 10/08/2012 12:33:41 MDT Print View

Interesting, I had just grabbed up a SnowPeak Ti at REI. But I think I prefer the design of the SnowPeak over this one.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: The New "Worlds lightest COMMERCIAL canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 13:17:25 MDT Print View

Look up BPL contributor Tony Beasley if you want to see a canister stove that makes an alcohol stove look grossly overweight

Ultralite Hiker
(Ultralite) - F
Re: Re: Re Esbit on 10/08/2012 13:24:23 MDT Print View

Rub the bottom of your pot on the ground for 5-10 seconds. Sand, grass, whatever. That gets rid of the residue. I love Esbit. Trail designs GVP is a great kit.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re Esbit on 10/08/2012 13:35:46 MDT Print View

"Rub the bottom of your pot on the ground for 5-10 seconds. Sand, grass, whatever. That gets rid of the residue."

Maybe. Maybe not. I've used three different brands and packages of Esbit fuel this summer, and I found each one to be different. With one, the black residue would rub off easily. With another, it was more persistent. With the third, it was tough. Part of that has to do with the height of the cook pot above the Esbit, the metal texture of the cook pot, and the air temperature. If you rub it off quickly, it will come off easier. If you let it harden, it is tougher. I got to where I would not even try to clean it off in the field. I would just throw it into a produce bag (to keep the black from rubbing off onto everything else) and clean it at home.

--B.G.--

Ultralite Hiker
(Ultralite) - F
Ah on 10/08/2012 13:45:37 MDT Print View

Ah, I use an aluminum Fosters can and the traditional Esbit brand. I have never had an issue with it rubbing off. Good to know.

(prse) - MLife

Re: Re The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove on 10/08/2012 15:18:33 MDT Print View

"Thanks for the heads up. I am a fan of canister stoves and like seeing their overall weight come down."

I'm glad it's appreciated Dena.

Edited by prse on 10/08/2012 15:20:15 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 15:46:19 MDT Print View

I have been field testing the FMS-300 for some time. I took it with me for our 2 month walk in Europe. It's a strange beast: it makes a noise like an XGK for some weird reason, and the airholes are tiny. To get full power you have to turn it up so it roars. But it does work well, and preliminary testing says it has low CO emission.

Cheers

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: The New "Worlds lightest canister stove"? on 10/08/2012 15:51:51 MDT Print View

It seems like the weight of the stove would be less important than the efficiency, if there's any difference between stoves.

If a stove weighed an ounce more but you needed a couple ounces less fuel, it would be better.

If, on the other hand, a stove weighed an ounce less and you also needed less fuel, it would be great.