Forum Index » GEAR » Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/07/2012 22:30:34 MDT Print View

I had been using this reclaimed "peanut jar" as a re-purposed water bottle mounted on my shoulder straps via shock cord and toggles.

water bottle 1

They weigh 1.65 or 1.95 ounces including the cap. Curiously a blue capped one is lighter. and a red capped one is heavier. ;-?

The problem with these is that the caps and the bottles need to be hand washed. Dishwashers generate to much heat during the wash and dry cycle. Their shape changes and leaks around the caps start to develop because the seal isn't perfect anymore.

I moved back to the tried and true 1.8 oz Gatorade bottle.

water bottle 2

But lately I've noticed an annoying tendency for them to slip the bonds of my shoulder strap mounted shock cord and toggle water bottle carriers. I believe it has something to do with the bell shape and the weight of a quart of water.

Lately I've moved on to a new reclaimed and re-purposed water bottle.

water bottle 3

The Powerade bottle is a 1 quart bottle that weighs 1.65 oz and with its different shape seems to stay put in my preferred method of carry.

Shoulder strap type water bottle carry

Note: The bottles in the picture above are the smaller 20 oz Gatorade bottles.

On a recent training walk with the above pack and carrying one re-purposed Powerade quart bottle on each shoulder strap all went well. The bottles rode well, never slipped out of the shock cord carriers and were easily accessible.

I think the difference is the shape of the top of the bottle. The fact that the bottle weighs 1.65 oz which equals the smaller "peanut jar" is a win, win for me. I've added no extra weight for the bottle and gained some volume as far as the water that I can carry.

Party On,

Newton

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/08/2012 03:27:43 MDT Print View

> The problem with these is that the caps and the bottles need to be hand washed.
This is a problem?

Cheers

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re:This is a problem? on 10/08/2012 06:11:02 MDT Print View

Roger,

I will attest to my own laziness when it comes to standing in front of the sink to hand wash anything. ;-) L O L

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re:This is a problem? on 10/08/2012 06:17:40 MDT Print View

I am my own dishwasher. Never had a use for the appliance type.

That's pretty lazy John.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: That's pretty lazy on 10/08/2012 06:26:23 MDT Print View

Hi Ken,

ROTFLMAO :-)

Yep!

I'll hike a hundred miles, sleep on the ground in a tent, cook my own meals and make my own gear but I hate washing dishes.

Have a great day.

Party On,

Newton

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Powerade good on 10/08/2012 06:47:57 MDT Print View

I really like the Powerade bottles, for the weight, shape and durability.

I direct our butler to gently hand wash mine.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: I direct our butler to gently hand wash mine. on 10/08/2012 06:56:14 MDT Print View

Thank you Erik.

But now I have to go outside and get my silk and merino "base layer" off of the clothes line.

Drying Out

;-)

Party On,

Newton

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/08/2012 08:01:15 MDT Print View

"Curiously a blue capped one is lighter. and a red capped one is heavier. ;-?"

Well duh! The government carries much of the weight of the blue capped one, the red capped one you have to carry all on your own....

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Red and Blue on 10/08/2012 09:09:43 MDT Print View

""Curiously a blue capped one is lighter. and a red capped one is heavier. ;-?""

"Well duh! The government carries much of the weight of the blue capped one, the red capped one you have to carry all on your own...."

THAT'S Funny

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/08/2012 10:22:29 MDT Print View

Doug,

Love the comment!

The cost of my lifetime membership is worth every penny if for nothing else but reading your posts. ;-)

Yeah, I know that I could read them for free but they are worth their weight in gold!

Thanks for the smiles.

Party On,

Newton

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
bottles, bottles everywhere, but not a drop to drink... on 10/08/2012 10:57:08 MDT Print View

I have collected in my gear closet a bunch of different recycled plastic bottles for water.

There is no Gateraid here in Sweden (or at least, I have not seen it), but at 1.8oz or about 51g that strikes me as a tad heavy for a plastic bottle--but probably makes up for it in durablity.

My current favorite is an Evian 750ml bottle that is 29g, cap included. Then there is Imsdal bottles, 700ml and 31g total. Not sure if you can get these versions in the USA. But I remember in the US getting generic spring water bottles that were pretty tough and light too.

I have been on a quest for a bottle over 500ml that is the number 2 plastic, which I have read is supposed to be the "safest." The two I mention above are number 1--numbers 5 and 7 are supposed to be the "worst" but I am no expert.

I do have a 475ml little bottle from the US that I saved from last time I was there that is 35g and pretty dang tough. It's a recycled witch hazel bottle, and it's 2 plastic. I am pretty sure I remember bigger versions of this bottle, and I think I bought it at Kmart.

Anyone an expert on plastic that can weigh in here, btw?

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Lightest 500ml bottle on 10/08/2012 16:14:24 MDT Print View

Coca Cola sells these 12g 500ml bottles for flavored water here in Japan. Crushable environmentally friendly... yada yada. Never used one myself as I am a 1L Nalgene hard bottle devotee as Fall/Winter approaches.

http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/dynamic/press_center/2010/06/i-lohas-mikan----a-new-flavored-water-from-the-i-lohas-brand.html

Edited by rmjapan on 10/08/2012 16:15:03 MDT.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
re Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/08/2012 16:23:58 MDT Print View

I don't wash my water bottles. I rinse them out. If I suspect some sort of contamination, I'll use warm water with a bit of bleach and let them sit for a while but other than that, I don't know why you'd need to run water bottles through a dishwasher.

Mal Hooper
(malligator)

Locale: Valley of the Sun
Re: Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/08/2012 16:25:41 MDT Print View

@Doug

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: I don't know why you'd need to run water bottles through a dishwasher. on 10/08/2012 17:02:51 MDT Print View

Dena,

For the same reason that drink glasses, knives, forks, spoons and plates get run through a dishwasher or hand washed in the sink.

I have a collection of these things and after I've used them on a hike or a training walk they deserve a bath the same way I relish a good hot shower.

They may sit unused for quite a while and a water bottle that has been dipped into a water source on the trail has the same things on the outside of it that we treat the water inside of it for.

In the heat there is no avoiding perspiration dripping onto the bottles carried on my shoulder straps. Add a little trail dirt and I see no reason not to pass them through the sink or dishwasher when the hike or training walk is over. YMMV

I guess I could mix up some one to ten bleach solution in a plastic tub, submerge them and let them soak for a while instead. The dishwasher is easier for me.;-)

Funny thing is that the Gatorade and Powerade bottles and cap survive the dishwasher just fine.

Party On,

Newton

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: I don't know why you'd need to run water bottles through a dishwasher. on 10/08/2012 18:11:06 MDT Print View

I think the plastic degrades over time.

I replace them every year or so.

Or if there's any sign of delamination or cracking.

I don't see how bottles every get so dirty you have to worry much about cleaning - maybe swish around a little detergent and warm water, shake vigorously,...

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/08/2012 20:53:52 MDT Print View

Douglas,

Thanks for sharing your humor with us.

I'd hate to see it bottled up.

Daryl

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Recycled Water Bottles on 10/09/2012 04:40:13 MDT Print View

"I'd hate to see it bottled up".

Good one Daryl! ;-)

OK this has been a fun little thread!

Points we have established.

1.) Ken T. and I both agree that I am pretty lazy when it comes to my water bottle maintenance. ;-)

2.) Roger, Ken, Dena and Jerry do not mind maintaining their water bottles by hand. :-)

3.) Cesar and Rick have both found lighter alternatives.

4.) Erik likes the Powerade bottles but makes his butler gently hand wash his water bottles.:-)

5.) Jon, Mal, Daryl and I all enjoy Doug's sense of humor. ;-)

Original point of the first post.

It was to let the members of this forum know that there is a lighter and better shaped IMHO recyclable and able to be re-purposed plastic "water" bottle possibilty out there for use.

Thread Drift.

When I mentioned what happened to my "peanut jars" in the dishwasher it was meant to let others know that these particular bottles don't play well in that kind of heat. I don't believe that water bottles have to be washed in the dishwasher, far from it. I stayed two weeks on the AT last year with only a pre-filter, rinse, fill and treat regimen.

FWIW According to the info in the following links the main reason for not reusing #1 plastic bottles is that they are just porous enough to harbor bacteria.

http://www.livescience.com/5487-murky-truth-leaching-plastic-bottles.html

"Number 7 plastic, a hodgepodge of various newer plastics not defined by numbers 1 through 6, often contains BPA. Then again, new plastics purposefully free of BPA might carry the number 7. And other plastics might be hard to recycle (#4 and 5) or porous enough to harbor bacteria (#1)".

>>>and<<<

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles#axzz1uScJmkiE

"The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it".

I hope that these links in some way helps to answer Cesar's question at the end of his post.

Party On,

Newton

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Re: John on 10/09/2012 11:35:37 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info. Too busy a lot of times to research every little detail, so it is much appreciated. Looks like what I read in the past was correct about 5 and 7 being bad, though I did not know about the issues associated with #1. #2 was absent from that quote, so I guess that means my earlier reports still stand about #2. Tomorrow I am going to make it a point at the supermarket (I am going anyway) to find a lightweight (something under 40g and at least 500ml). I don't like the idea of my bottles, super-light or not, being loaded with bacteria. I do, for the record, make sure to wash my bottles often by hand. It's easy if you are a parent of younger kids, because you probably have a brush for cleaning out baby bottles, which works great for water bottles too.

I will try and remember to report back any good finds out there... though these might only be alternatives to be found here in Sweden.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Cesar on 10/09/2012 13:27:41 MDT Print View

You are quite welcome. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Recycled Water Bottles on 10/09/2012 15:59:59 MDT Print View

> "The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is
> only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it".

This is total and utter BS!

This #1 plastic is PET, and that is what many of us have been using for years at a time. Most rocket-based fizzy-drink bottles are made of PET. It is extremely robust.
Btw, I think many baby formula bottles are made of PET too.

So why do industry sources say this? Two main reasons.
1) Reuse means you don't buy a new bottle from the vendor every time. Agh! The lost profit! Pain and Suffering!
2) The lawyers want to make sure you never sue their client (the mfr).
THAT IS ALL!

Cheers

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Recycled Water Bottles on 10/09/2012 16:24:10 MDT Print View

What I have heard is that Rogers' reason #2 is the main one. The small necks on most soda bottles make it difficult to clean the interior thoroughly, and so they cover their behinds with the recommendation that you should not re-use.

By the way, The OP notes that Gatorade bottles handle the trip through the dishwasher just fine. Well, I have been using a different Gatorade bottle - comes with a nice squeezy top, it's not the regular Gatorade but something like G series or O2 or something like that - and they do not do well in the dishwasher, at least not mine. They deform and shrink. But they are my favorite bottle - wide enough mouth for shoving in snow, squeezy top for convenience.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Gatorade bottles on 10/09/2012 16:59:00 MDT Print View

Paul,

Which one are we talking about?

Bottle #1?

Gatorade #1

or

Bottle #2?Gatorade #2

Party On,

Newton

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
recycled water bottles on 10/09/2012 18:10:43 MDT Print View

Like that G 02. Wide enough top for a cleaning brush is a must for me. Maybe most of you use just water, but tea and other drinks that can get moldy residues often go into my bottles. That is why I use the wide mouth bottles, and not the bladders.

The cap looks quite sturdy also, with a straw hole that will take a nylon bolt for a cap retainer. Wonder what the capacity is, the recycle #, and the weight, of course. With a little lurking around the drink coolers, will find out.
These could replace my #3 peanute bottles - no word here on #3's yet, though.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
DASANI on 10/09/2012 18:13:14 MDT Print View

I did a little more research into this 12g 500ml bottle now in Japan and it seems it might also be the same bottle under DASANI brand in the USA.

http://www.dasani.com/#/home

Edited by rmjapan on 10/09/2012 18:14:51 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Gatorade bottles on 10/09/2012 19:09:15 MDT Print View

I have not seen the #2 style of bottles here.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Re: Gatorade bottles on 10/09/2012 21:23:58 MDT Print View

Bottle #1

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/09/2012 22:19:33 MDT Print View

This has been my go-to bottle for a few years. These are plastic bottles with a wide mouth. I cannot get them in California anymore so when my son was in school in Idaho he would pick them up for all of us. I have quite a few of them. I like the wide mouth because they are easy to fill and they are not as wide as a Gatorade so they fit easier in my side pocket. I usually take one of these bottles and then a 1 liter Platy that I use when needed. Since these are 1 liter they are nice for using with chlorine dioxide drops. I also used it with my Steripen Adventurer since that model is round not oval
Here is a view of two wide mouth bottlesWide Mouth Soda Bottle
and a side by side with a standard and wide mouthWide and Small

Edited by scottbentz on 10/10/2012 07:37:15 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/10/2012 04:31:05 MDT Print View

Scott,

I we're not being too forward here what are your measurements, of the wide mouth openings of your go to bottles? ;-)

Gatorade opening is 1 1/4" and Powerade opening is 1 1/8" inside diameter.

Can you give us the weights of your go to bottles?

What is your method of carry? Based on the shape of these samples in the pictures I'm guessing that your pack has water bottle pockets on the sides of your pack. I looked at your gear list from 2009 and I think that I may have answered my own question on this one.

Party On,

Newton

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/10/2012 07:40:19 MDT Print View

I am at the office so I cannot measure right now. I may be able to do so later.

I am pretty sure they bottle weighs in at .5 oz. I use a Mariposa Plus, Gorilla 2012 or an older Murmur pack. All of those packs have pockets on the side which I can access while hiking. I do not have to stop. That is why I like these. They are not real wide and fit nicely into those pockets.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/16/2012 04:26:07 MDT Print View

Scott,

Thanks for the PM with the measurements. ;-)

"... the inside of the wide mouth measures 1 3/16".

Here's another one that I've found.

Promised Land bottle

The bottle in the above picture is a 1 quart bottle. I spotted it in the dairy case at Walmart. The opening is @ 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" wide ID. I'm sorry that I have no weight or exact measurements. The bottle doesn't suit my style of carry and we really don't need the extra sugar in the house.

The bottle does appear to be about the thickness of a soda bottle and it has a rather slim profile. It may suit someone elses needs just fine.

BTW it is a number "1" type of plastic.

This company does use this bottle for other products of theirs that are not as "sweet". Just Google Promised Land milk, egg nog etc.

Party On,

Newton

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/20/2012 06:13:15 MDT Print View

When I need greater water capacity, I prefer carrying a pair of 1.8 liter Gatorade bottles. Along with a bladder for my Sawyer Squeeze, that gives me all the capacity I need.

When I need a little less water, I like carrying a pair of 1.5 liter Lipton Green Tea bottles. The advantage with these is that the threads are compatible with my Sawyer Squeeze, so it gives me a back up that I've taken advantage of on one hike.

The only time I haven't needed that much capacity was in the Sierras, but I just left my bigger bottles partially filled instead of ditching a bottle or switching to smaller bottles.

I do use a 32 oz Gatorade or Powerade bottle for a potty bottle, and I try to make sure that it's significantly different than what I'm using for water bottles.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/20/2012 12:36:18 MDT Print View

I don't mean to jump on the question to Scott but I have my scale and the bottle he is referring to in front of me. They have been my favorite bottles for the last year. The bottle holds 24oz is a #1, weighs 1.2oz with the original cap and the mouth opening measures 1 3/16" It's slim shape works well in my packs side pockets. I don't like the original caps so I replace mine with a standard screw on. Interestingly they are lighter than the smaller G2 bottles and the cap from other gatorade bottles won't fit it--why they used a lighter material and a different cap thread makes no sense but it is what it is. The problem in my area is finding these bottles. My last source was the local 99 cent store.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles on 10/20/2012 13:00:24 MDT Print View

I really liked the Gatorade #1 bottle with the twist cap. they seem to be harder to find around here.. the caps are not super sturdy if you drop the bottle top down. The twist top is nice for drinking without stopping. i wish they were 1L not 24oz though.

Edited by JakeDatc on 10/20/2012 13:01:26 MDT.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

quest for perfect recycled bottle continues on 10/20/2012 15:50:51 MDT Print View

Last weekend I went on a section hike and got to try out a bottle that is now my new favorite. I have gone through four different favorite recycled bottle in the past year, but I think this one will be hard to beat.

And of course for the record, I don't work for these guys or get free juice from them or anything, but here is their website in English (which I guess means you can buy it outside of Sweden): http://www.bramhults.com/

I got a 1 liter juice bottle (strawberry and lime) and when I checked the bottom, it's the hard to find and supposedly least "bad" kind of plastic #2.

Weight is 48g, but very tough and rigid and fit very well in my Zpacks pack side pocket. I also like that it has kind of a grippy top with the ridges on the upper third of the bottle. For spring/fall, one of these plus my Sawyer filter bag is all I need. In the summer I would take one of these plus a 1 liter Platypus, though I would only drink out of the Brämhults bottle and use the Platy as storage/pillow.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Recycled Water Bottles on 10/20/2012 16:20:46 MDT Print View

I hear you Scott,

I love the wide mouth Pepsi product bottles (I use their Aquafina as seen in the review below.) They are getting harder to find though.

http://tinyurl.com/92g6q5l

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Recycled Water Bottles on 10/21/2012 16:37:21 MDT Print View

uninvisibility bump