Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sounds you've never heard before

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sounds you've never heard before on 10/11/2012 22:30:27 MDT Print View

> At some point during the night I heard the koala make a different sound and then
> heard a loud cat like growl, not a domestic/wild cat but something bigger than that.
> By the time I got out of the tent to investigate it was gone and so was the koala.
Found a mate maybe?

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Sounds you've never heard before on 10/11/2012 23:19:17 MDT Print View

Don't know but was a very high pitch not at all like the sort of noises I have heard a koala make .
Somewhat like the sound of a Tasmanian Devil (fighting) except that we were in the Otway (Victoria)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Sounds you've never heard before on 10/11/2012 23:24:56 MDT Print View

The bone chilling sobs of La Llorona.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Sounds you've never heard before on 10/11/2012 23:39:08 MDT Print View

I was hiking around off trail in my local state park. It was getting dark, I was just trying to get back home. I was passing through a section of the woods where there must have been 100 turkeys all going crazy and gobbling. It was very disturbing. Like a giant turkey music festival. Then, out of nowhere, I hear a person let out a bloodthirsty yell and the sounds of turkeys fleeing. Some weirdo was out there in the dark stalking turkeys like some kind of feral tarzan man. I think he heard me walking after that and hid from me.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sounds you've never heard before on 10/12/2012 03:30:45 MDT Print View

Hi Franco

Otways eh?
Probably a Geelong supporter after a bad result.

Cheers

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
re: Sounds you've never heard before on 10/12/2012 08:57:42 MDT Print View

Around sunset on a dayhike in Briones, a regional park that while surrounded by urban development, is known to contain cougars, bobcats, coyotes, etc., I heard something I've not been able to identify by listening to various audio clips. By far the closest match is Robert Plant's screech at the beginning of Immigrant Song. (abbreviated, about two seconds of arraaaaaaaaaahh!, repeated)

James W.
(jimmyjam)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Sounds you've never heard before on 10/12/2012 11:20:25 MDT Print View

One of my favorite sounds is that of the loon. I never heard one until I got to go camping in the BWCA years ago. You guys up north probably don't think any of it because you hear it all the time- but I really thought it was such a cool sound.