Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Kuster
(slacklinejoe) - MLife

Locale: Flatirons
Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger on 10/06/2012 13:58:55 MDT Print View

I was going to make my own DIY charger similar to what Roger had done in the past, but saw this system going for $25 (less than my parts + shipping) and I can pick it up locally.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11496

Anyone used it? On the electronics forums I follow people are pretty happy with it, but I don't know the exact weight or fragility from a backpacking standpoint. Specs seem pretty good and it'd directly work with the Steripen UV water purification systems that charge of USB.

Edited by slacklinejoe on 10/06/2012 13:59:28 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger on 10/06/2012 14:27:33 MDT Print View

Before you jump into the purchase of a solar panel+battery, you might want to first calculate what your power needs are going to be. Compared to the cost of a pure solar panel, you are paying a bunch for the battery portion which you may or may not need.

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger on 10/06/2012 14:36:36 MDT Print View

Rather small solar cell. Unless you are in the desert you may never get enough power from it.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger on 10/06/2012 16:16:50 MDT Print View

"Rather small solar cell."

Exactly. That's why I made the warning.

I don't think that I would fool with any solar panel under a few watts. Something around 5-10 watts becomes useful, but it still may not be weight efficient.

--B.G.--