Forum Index » Chaff » Infield fly rule...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Infield Fly - Romney and Obama on 10/06/2012 13:53:41 MDT Print View

Douglas,

Clever and funny. Nice job.

Ken,

I'm with you on not liking to watch sports. I would pay more to be excused from watching a game than I would to watch one .

Daryl

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re:Sports talk on 10/06/2012 15:28:37 MDT Print View

Well everyone has opinions....if you don't like baseball or sports, why post on here?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re:Sports talk on 10/06/2012 18:06:05 MDT Print View

I was agreeing with Doug about not being into baseball.

So it's still the land of baseball and apple pie so I will post at my leisure even if I don't follow the national pastime. Isn't America great!

It's chaff. Man what's with you lately?

Edited by kthompson on 10/06/2012 18:08:47 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re:Sports talk on 10/06/2012 18:37:36 MDT Print View

I LOVE situational baseball, but w/ no one on base and/ or a 5 run lead its kinda boring. But thats also what is cool about it. Its like hanging out and playing a physical game at the same time. Like frisbee. (not ultimate frisbee, thoug)

Situational baseball- when its 2 runs lead, one out and, someone on first- or something like that. When the batting team has a chance to change the lead with one swing of the bat...

or bases loaded and no outs. ouch

Apple pie, however is amazing in any situation.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re:Sports talk on 10/06/2012 20:43:20 MDT Print View

"Apple pie, however is amazing in any situation."

You ain't kidding! I could show you pictures......

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re:Sports talk on 10/07/2012 11:06:37 MDT Print View

If you are referring to me Ken my post was not aimed at you but rather to anyone on here that does not follow baseball. Baseball is boring to some, and that is ok with me as I love it. That is all. Don't know where you got that this was directed at you.

Edit: Wow. And what has gotten into me lately? Life?? Dunno what you are referring to, if you do please point it out to me as I am confused

Edited by kennyhel77 on 10/07/2012 11:15:42 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re:Sports talk on 10/07/2012 11:10:31 MDT Print View

Barry, I agree with your post about situational baseball. That is why the NL is a superior league as pitchers hit and sac bunting, steals, double switches make it more interesting

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re:Sports talk on 10/07/2012 11:18:27 MDT Print View

If you like to see games with more hits, then better to no have poorly hitting pitchers stick to pitching.

Just arguing for the sake of arguing...

I think they should adopt those multi-colored basketballs

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Infield fly rule... on 10/07/2012 11:25:47 MDT Print View

I love baseball on Wii. Does that count?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Infield fly rule... on 10/07/2012 11:42:54 MDT Print View

I used to be part of an unofficial hardball league made up of local skaters, punks, and metalheads. I don't think we knew about the infield fly rule. There were three teams, often with barely enough players to get by. Sometimes right field was unmanned and considered foul territory. 40s of malt liquor were the standard dugout fare and harassing the batter by any means imaginable was legal.

Watching the pros? No thanks.

-Bucktoof Willy
(the artist formerly known as Craig Wisner)

Edited by xnomanx on 10/07/2012 11:43:46 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Infield fly rule... on 10/07/2012 13:37:43 MDT Print View

Craig...errr I mean Buckfoot....that is sloshball....same thing up here. We had a game every Sunday made up of punks, skaters, metal dudes and miscreants with a healthy does of beer and ummm some other stuff :)

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: Infield Fly on 10/07/2012 14:39:45 MDT Print View

>> "terrible call, and a terrible way to end the Braves season."

>> @ Ben - agreed.

>> I know there are exceptions and subjectivities to every rule, but a shot to the middle of left field seems a bit of a stretch for an IFR to be called.

>> Admittedly, Cards probably deserved to win--Braves didn't really show up to that game-- but def a terrible way to end it.

Agreed on all counts. I love my Cardinals, but even I'll admit the Braves got pooched on that play. Would it have changed things? Maybe. But that's the way the "infield" fly bounces...

What makes me more sad is that it was the last game for Chipper. I would have liked to see him go out on a better note. With Alberts departure this year, I have a new respect for class act players who dedicate their entire career to a single team.

I was down at Turner Field for game three of the 2000 NLDS (Cards swept Braves). Braves fans are also a class act.

They need to settle that contract and get these replacement umps off the field! Oh... wrong sport.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Infield fly on 10/07/2012 17:19:29 MDT Print View

The only thing the ump did wrong was call it late. If it's a routine play for an infielder (and there are runners on first and second and less than two out) the infield fly rule applies. And the Cards' shortstop was camped under this one for several seconds. My team didn't make the playoffs so I didn't particularly care about this game, but the LF umpire clearly got it right. If the shortstop had let it bounce in front of him and started a double play, the Atlanta fans would have howled if the infield fly rule hadn't been called.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
At the Bat on 10/07/2012 17:20:33 MDT Print View

Doug -

Insightful and highly amusing. Terrific!

Richard