Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: Wild Oasis

Display Avatars Sort By:
Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Locale: New Hampshire
WTB: Wild Oasis on 10/04/2012 13:30:05 MDT Print View

I'd like to buy a Wild Oasis. Please let me know the condition, asking price including shipping, and if it's sealed.

Thanks!

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
Wild Oasis on 10/04/2012 14:50:54 MDT Print View

Get one, its a great shelter. Then ship it off to Bear Paw Wilderness Designs and get John to sew in a floor. Fully enclosed shelter for about 15 oz. Just don't get the 45" SMD pole, its too short. 48" would be perfect.

Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Floor on 10/04/2012 16:29:51 MDT Print View

What an awesome idea! This is the first I've heard of this. I'm wondering how that would affect experimentation with different pitch heights. I'm definitely going to get comfortable using a stick since I never have trekking poles. Curious about cost for such a modification as well. Any insight regarding this shelter is definitely appreciated!

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Wild Oasis on 10/04/2012 19:03:07 MDT Print View

FYI, I own a stock Wild Oasis and use a polycro groundsheet without any problems. The modification you're describing would be interesting but SMD already has much of what you're suggesting. The Lunar Solo, Wild Oasis, and Gatewood Cape all offer the same footprint, with the Lunar Solo offering a bathtub floor.

http://sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

Ryan Christman
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Midwest U.S.
Re: Floor on 10/05/2012 21:32:16 MDT Print View

Bear Paw quoted me $70 (I believe) to add a floor to my Wild Oasis. I am learning how to sew now and will probably do it myself. I think a bug netting floor combined with a polycro groundsheet inside (like the Zpacks Hexamid) could be decently light and economical.

Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Wild Oasis on 10/10/2012 18:30:06 MDT Print View

Bump Because I'm still hunting for one of these.

Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

Bump on 10/17/2012 08:14:22 MDT Print View

To the top

Dale Caldwell
(dalemc)

Locale: Coastal Georgia
maybe... on 10/17/2012 12:57:22 MDT Print View

I bought a used one on here not too long ago and was planning to use it for the first time this weekend. I need the money so I may be willing to part with it. Let me give it a try first! I'm only doing a one-nighter...

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Wild Oasis on 10/17/2012 13:13:01 MDT Print View

Charles - I sent you a PM a few weeks ago about mine I am willing to sell but never heard back from you. Did you get the PM?

Charles Tufankjian
(ctufankjian)

@Kathleen on 10/17/2012 13:21:05 MDT Print View

Hi Kathleen, I did not, Please do send another.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Wild Oasis on 10/17/2012 20:08:02 MDT Print View

PM just sent. If you don't get it, let me know and I'll post the information here on this thread. I will be on a day hike all day tomorrow (Thursday), but can respond when I get home.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Wild Oasis pictures on 10/19/2012 16:35:05 MDT Print View

Charles - as promised, here are the pictures. I couldn't send them through a PM.

Back of Wild Oasis

Back of Wild Oasis

Added tie-out

Added tie-out

Close-up of tieout

Close-up of tie-out