5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 20:11:46 MDT Print View

Since this thread was affected by the spam attack making it impossible for some to post I have made a duplicate thread here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70743&skip_to_post=603613#603613

So please post over there.

To the BPL family.

Please welcome in 2013 by attending the 5th annual GGG. January 25-27th at Henry W. Coe State Park in Morgan Hill, CA.
It is a short hike or ride into camp. Right around 3.5 miles. There will be some organized events again this year along with some special presentations.

Once again we welcome cottage manufacturers to attend and meet their passionate customers.

Looking for ideas and activities for what promises to be the biggest and by far the best GGG yet.

We will have a courtesy tent with a schedule of events and other pertinent information posted. Like a GGG HQ.

Weather permitting we will have support vehicles like last year. This allows us to haul in firewood, water, supplies to camp.

We'll make it happen no matter the weather.

If you have a demonstration, exhibition, new skill or gear that you would like to share, this would be the time to do it.

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.

The park charges $75 per night, per group site. I am thinking of getting three spots so we can have two of the new bathrooms.

This would give us room for a hundred. I stopped counting at 65 last year.

For those of you unfamiliar with the GGG concept take a look at reports from years past. All you repeat offenders might enjoy looking at them again too.

Year 1 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

Year 2 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28191

Year 3 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43671

Year 4 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59898

If you are thinking about the car camping spots by the park HQ, say for Thurs. night they are $20 a night, one vehicle.

Questions? Ask away...

Let's keep track of who is coming.

Richard Gless
Frank Heide
Chris Steutterman +1
Rick Horne +1
Sharon Jue
Jack Elliot +1
Jeremy Pendrey +1
Jane Baack
EJ +1
Jay Wilkerson
Marc Eldridge
Tony Wong
Dave Lutz

Amy L. and Jim will be there too giving a talk about the birds of Coe.

More cottage manufacturers

Hikin Jim will be back with more pyrotechnics

Andrew, Gaia app developer will be there to do a demo

Gonna be a good one!

Edited by kthompson on 11/26/2012 19:30:03 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 22:02:35 MDT Print View

Edit: I will be car camping at the HQ campground on Thurs. night if anyone is interested.

Edited by kthompson on 11/18/2012 08:32:12 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/05/2012 12:50:12 MDT Print View

Please count me in and I will be able to contribute money to help with your cost of setting things up....supplies you purchased to make things run smoothly.

Once you have setup the paypal account, I can send money over.

Question for those attending: Do we want name tags?

I have bought out name tag stickers for the past few years, but last time a small percentage of people used them.

No point in bringing them and spending money on them if they won't be used.

-Tony

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Yes on name tags on 10/05/2012 12:53:43 MDT Print View

Tony,

Thanks for bringing up that question. I vote for having name tags. It makes it somehow way easier for many people to start conversations.

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering on 10/05/2012 17:57:18 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Yes on name tags on 10/05/2012 13:07:06 MDT Print View

"Thanks for bringing up that question. I vote for having name tags. It makes it somehow makes it way easier for many people to start conversations."

I vote for no name tags. Too many people looking for me......

Doug Coe
(sierraDoug) - M

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA
Re: Re: Yes on name tags on 10/05/2012 13:24:52 MDT Print View

Doug,

Only if you are coming to the GGG! I'd be curious to meet the more active/famous Doug around here. My only (small) claim to fame is my last name is the same as Henry Coe's.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
For the "famous" Doug, not the one with the famous last name on 10/05/2012 14:41:59 MDT Print View

We'll just look for the guy with no name tag, ha ha!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/07/2012 21:32:36 MDT Print View

Name tags are a must have. I'm terrible with names.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/09/2012 19:07:40 MDT Print View

Sort of on topic. I hope I'm not breaking some BPL rule posting this (*I don't work for SWA).

Southwest Airlines is offering a 40% off promo right now on "Wanna Get Away" fares. The catch is you have to purchase the tickets before Oct. 12. and the fares are only good for flights on the following dates: Nov. 28 through Dec. 12, 2012, and Jan. 7 through Feb. 14, 2013.

Obviously this is good for GGG'ers flying in from out of town as the GGG 5.0 date makes the cutoff.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/10/2012 19:15:25 MDT Print View

Wouldn't you know it, OR is the same weekend.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/10/2012 20:10:34 MDT Print View

I've got it on my schedule. I'm looking forward to the gathering again this year.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/11/2012 10:08:06 MDT Print View

Ken, I'll be there (barring major conflicts).

Are you thinking about moving the date due to OR?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/11/2012 19:22:33 MDT Print View

"Are you thinking about moving the date due to OR?"

I have to admit I am a bit conflicted. A week earlier perhaps?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/11/2012 19:45:22 MDT Print View

What's OR?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/11/2012 19:50:12 MDT Print View

Outdoor Retailer.

Keep up.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 10/11/2012 19:54:46 MDT Print View

It's far enough out on the calendar that it doesn't make a difference to me. Is there a concern of not getting some of the cottage manufacturers to attend if OR is taking place at the same time?

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
I'll be there on 10/14/2012 21:33:32 MDT Print View

Can't wait. Should be super fun. I'll bring the circus tent again.tent with stove

Edited by Joshua on 10/14/2012 22:29:07 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0- Taking the Family on 10/14/2012 23:37:00 MDT Print View

Ken,

There will be three of us....including my 9 yr old daughter- the evil little monkey. :)

If it rains, then it will only be me...but hey, I got them to agree to come to see all of you miscreants!

-Tony

Mike Urban
(murban) - M

Locale: Northern CA, East Bay
"5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0" on 10/19/2012 15:55:17 MDT Print View

Sounds like fun to me. Count me in as a first timer.
-Mike

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/09/2012 22:31:45 MST Print View

We are going to keep the date set as is. I have heard that some vendors will attend OR for two days then come down and play with us for the weekend. Best of both.

With the posting issues here I ask everyone to feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I don't want anyone to feel left out as all are welcome.

Here's to a great 5.0!

Edited by kthompson on 11/09/2012 22:33:01 MST.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Temperatures on 11/11/2012 11:56:21 MST Print View

Question for you: I've never been to Henry Coe. How cold is it likely to get?

I'd like to attend but I'm afraid I don't have adequate cold weather gear. I'd go buy some but right now money is very tight so I probably have to make do with what I have, or opt to stay home if what I have is not sufficient.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Temperatures on 11/11/2012 12:42:23 MST Print View

Rowan,

What typre of cold gear do you need? I have extra stuff, maybe not the lightest in my gear closet, but it's your's to borrow if you need it.

Ken I'm in, I'll send the funds on my next pay check.

Rowan pm me with any questions.

Jack

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Temperatures on 11/11/2012 13:29:39 MST Print View

According to Weather.com for January in Henry Coe State Park:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/CASPHENWCO:13

38° F Average Low
18° F Record Low

61° F Average High
78° F Record High

4.38 inches Average Precipitation
January is the average wettest month

Note: I've watched hail fall and accumulate in March in Coe Park, so be prepared for wild, or beautiful weather.

Edited by Rex on 11/11/2012 13:30:38 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Temperatures on 11/11/2012 16:17:08 MST Print View

This is one reason for the change back to January. Seems like we get a break from the weather and cold that settles in for the month of February. We had below freezing one year so far. So if you are good to 32 you should be fine. There will be a large campfire. And there is always an abundance of gear.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

@Jack. Thanks.

Doug Coe
(sierraDoug) - M

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA
I'm in on 11/12/2012 22:03:21 MST Print View

Ken,
Thank you for organizing this fun event yet again. It'll be my second year, and this time I'm going to take a much closer look at everyone's shelter since I'm looking to buy a decent one finally!

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Temperatures on 11/13/2012 07:29:39 MST Print View

Rowan,

Since it's a short hike in Coe is also a great place for fleece, bulky and heavy poly fill jackets, etc. No need to be uncomfortable.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/13/2012 22:40:46 MST Print View

Ken,

Whats the ante going to be per person this year?

Thanks, Jack

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/13/2012 22:50:45 MST Print View

@ Jack. $15 per and we'll have room to spread out.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/13/2012 23:01:17 MST Print View

Sounds good, I might be +1

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/14/2012 08:31:13 MST Print View

Change of heart, there is a good chance that I will be attending. Paypal funds?

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/14/2012 10:45:07 MST Print View

Ken,

I'm planning on attending. How would you like payments/contributions sent?

Thanks,

Richard

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

GGG Henry Coe Temperatures & Clothing on 11/14/2012 13:29:09 MST Print View

Just a suggestion to everyone who will be attending....bring extra layers that you would not normally consider taking on a backpacking trip.

Expect to be standing around or sitting and chatting with friends and new found friends for many hours into the night.

I have taken my insulated layers like my Montbell Thermawarp pants and I now have a Montbell Down Jacket that I will be bring to the GGG.

Given the short distance for the hike to the campsites and lack of phsyical activity from standing around with others, you might as well layer up and be toasty warm.

Enjoying the outdoors is all about being dry and warm, so layer up and make sure you have decent rain gear...in case it rains.

Yeah, I have lightweight O2 Raingear that I will bring, but I will likely take my heavy REI rain gear as backup. (I have not used my O2 Rain gear in the rain before...so it may be a good time to test it out).

Warm booties are a nice luxury to have to walk around in if it is not muddy.

A cheap suggestion for keeping warm feet and keeping things light....grab some UPS plastics shipping bags/envelopes and cut them down to sock size.

They are a waterproof, strong, light, and "free" vapor barrier that can worn over your socks and in your trail runners to keep your feet warmer in wet weather.

Looking forward to the next GGG and seeing you all.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: GGG Henry Coe Temperatures & Clothing on 11/14/2012 16:40:02 MST Print View

Sound advice Tony.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
ok well on 11/14/2012 21:00:44 MST Print View

since jack called jabbering about something called the ggg and i couldn t get him to shut up about it until i agreed to go with him to it again this year
i guess im in for another brutal weekend of lightweight gear public drukedness
watching people fall out of hammocks in the middle of the night even with help trying to get in one lol and all the other great activities that are the ggg

count me in we will again be in to camp after midnight friday im assuming

ken
ill pp you here in a few days for my spot

looking foward to seeing everyone except ken helwig again LOL just kidding ken

kevin

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/14/2012 21:02:50 MST Print View

Sounds like I need to do another BPL so cal desert hike that weekend.

It'll be anti-GGG 2.0

Benefits of the 2011 anti-GGG trip to Anza Borrego:
- No snow
- BLUE skies
- crisp and crystal clear night sky
- Moon phase about 13% (waning)
- No campfires separate us from our environment
- Saw NO other humans over the route
- Views of San Ysidro and Santa Rosa mountains
- Got a feel for how Native Americans picked their routes (trails)
- 50 mph winds to test out our shelters and non-shelters
- Large secluded area for group camp
- No group games or activities

:-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/14/2012 21:15:56 MST Print View

Can I go? I'll keep everyone busy somewhere else that weekend.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/14/2012 21:33:12 MST Print View

Gotcha!

Of course you'd be welcome. Not sure I am up to organizing another trip. Too much work; or too much like work. Don't know how you do it.

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/15/2012 11:20:53 MST Print View

Phoebe and I will be there again this year. Will Paypal funds.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/17/2012 07:59:56 MST Print View

70 days away.

Schedule some time off and come out and join us.

See first post for all pertinent information.

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Locale: California
5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 on 11/17/2012 09:51:42 MST Print View

I plan on coming. Can't wait to see everybody again.

-Frank

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/18/2012 08:36:23 MST Print View

It will be great to see all the repeat attendees. And, of course, meet the new kids.

I will keep updating the first post with the latest info.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/20/2012 19:32:14 MST Print View

Don't use up all your vacation time for the holidays. Save a day or two for the GGG!

See first post in thread for most up to date information.

Some of the -F members are not able to post to this thread. Thanks Sharon for letting me know. PM me if you need anything, That goes for everyone.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG Black Friday Special on 11/23/2012 07:14:10 MST Print View

Pay for your spot today and get two in for the price of one! This year is $15 a head. Please Paypal to kenthompson2(at)mac.com

Good through the weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

The GGG cannot happen without your financial support. Money is tight this year, I don't have the spare cash to reserve $470+ of campsites.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

GGG 5.0 Black Friday Special on 11/24/2012 17:03:31 MST Print View

Bump, 63 days away.

Jeremy Pendrey
(Pendrey) - MLife

Locale: California
My son and I are in again on 11/24/2012 21:40:10 MST Print View

Looking forward to it. Hope the weather holds up or I'm sleeping in Josh's toasty warm backcountry condo/sweat lodge.

Paypal for $15 on its way. Black Friday sale aside, happy to pay more if you need it. Just let me know.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/25/2012 20:31:33 MST Print View

Thanks for all the help this weekend.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Looking forward; New cottage maker coming; Happy Thanksgiving on 11/25/2012 20:55:42 MST Print View

Hi Ken, payment sent. Andrea and I are so looking forward.

One thing we are very thankful for this holiday season is you and our BPL family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Will be bringing a friend who is a new cottage gear maker of ultralight stove systems, who will be raffling off a full kit. Will post details soon.

Please let me know if you need us to put up a little more to help cover missing funds before others jump in.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 06:59:02 MST Print View

Let's keep track of who is coming.

Richard Gless
Frank Heide
Chris Steutterman +1
Rick Horne +1
Sharon Jue
Jack Elliot +1
Jeremy Pendrey +1
Jane Baack
EJ +1
Jay Wilkerson
Marc Eldridge
Tony Wong
Dave Lutz

Amy L. and Jim will be there too giving a talk about the birds of Coe.

More cottage manufacturers

Hikin Jim will be back with more pyrotechnics

Andrew, Gaia app developer will be there to do a demo

Gonna be a good one!

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
GGG on 11/26/2012 11:02:19 MST Print View

Just sent you my $15, Ken. Larry may make it, hasn't decided yet. If so, I'll PP some more $.

I'm excited about Amy & Jim's bird talk, also the Gaia app presentation. Thanks for arranging all the "extras"!

Planning on arriving Saturday A.M. Any chance that someone will be driving or biking stuff in to the campsite then and could transport the box of brownies? That would enable me to bring a smaller pack (and more brownies...).

Debbie

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Coming on 11/26/2012 11:07:32 MST Print View

I am!

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 11:28:13 MST Print View

Ken....I will be +2.

Bringing the family to this one, which includes my 9 yr old daughter.

Hopefully, there will be other kids around.

-Tony

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 12:10:32 MST Print View

I'm planning on coming, but I don't feel like paying. Is that okay?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 17:21:37 MST Print View

Doug,

If you fly out to the event, I will pay for your $15 share of the cost to attend.

You might have to sleep next to the pit toilet, but I will pay for you. :)

Seriously, you come, I am happy to put up $15 for your sorry, er.....bottom.

-Tony

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 17:31:29 MST Print View

"You might have to sleep next to the pit toilet, but I will pay for you."

Gosh Tony, what a ...... uh ........ bargain... ;-)

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 17:47:19 MST Print View

Doug,

It was sleeping next to the pit toilent or with Ken. H.

Take your pick...lol.

Seriously, are you thinking of coming out???

You add flair and character to the event.

-Tony

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 18:12:08 MST Print View

Money sent.
Please Add me to the list!
UH.. Matthew Edwards that is.

Just got in the door from Henry Coe.
Beautiful and quiet there right now.
Here are some teaser pictures from this weekend:

.Coit lake
.Fall colors at Coe
.View east from Willow Ridge

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 19:29:26 MST Print View

Since this thread was affected by the spam attack making it impossible for some to post to it I have made a duplicate here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70743&skip_to_post=603613#603613

Please post and follow the new thread from here on out please.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Re: Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 11/26/2012 21:18:21 MST Print View

Doug,

If Tony pays the $15.00 you can bunk with me, no pit toilet here. Seriously though, if you come out it's going to be a blast, you're always great company and loads of laughter. I'll be bringing some gear from Borahgear.com so everyone can check out our product. Tarps, bivys, and a few smaller items, and maybe a backpack if I can get it here in time. I'm thinking of bringing my MYOG oven again if any body wants to try thier hand at baking biscuits for biscuits and gravy in the morning, muffins, or browines. Should be fun, it works best with charcoal. If anyone wants to bring extra charcoal to bake with, that would be great, 1 charcoal equals approx. 37* so 10 would equal 370* just to give people an idea.

Edited to clean it up a bit, didn't want people getting the wrong idea. LOL

See everyone soon, Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 11/27/2012 19:43:10 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe on 12/01/2012 10:53:26 MST Print View

Bump for those who might have clicked the follow this thread button.

Since this thread was affected by the spam attack making it impossible for some to post to it I have made a duplicate here.

Please post and follow the new thread from here on out please.