Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » snow peak lid

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Nelson
(stephenn6289) - F

Locale: Sunshine State
snow peak lid on 03/15/2007 09:20:49 MDT Print View

anybody have any suggestions for how to make a lid for a snow peak 450? I plan on using an aluminum pie pan from publix and creating a pull tab out of aluminum foil tape to start, but I am not sure how to make it sit in such a way that 1)it wont be blow off in a breeze and 2) it will stay secure or fit inside when it is packed.

In Dr. J's book, there is a picture of a titanium foil lid that he used. It seems to be set in below the surface with three tabs that come up to secure it on top of the cup. Even with this basic design I am not sure how to actually make it. any help here is appreciated. thanks

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: snow peak lid on 03/15/2007 13:51:17 MDT Print View

One way is to cut out a disk of oven liner. Heat it over an alcohol stove (or very carefully over any stove) until it shows red in dim light. Quinch it in cold water. Play with this procedure until it is buttery soft. Then simply mash it into whatever shape you want by rubbing it with any smooth tool over a form (the pot you will use is the ideal form). Popsicle sticks, hardwoor dowels, plastic handles all make good ad hoc rubbing tools for this job. If you want the lid to fit inside the pot, center it over the mouth of the pot and rub it into a smooth shape, then trim any excess that extends beyond the pot rim. A fold of aluminum repair tape or flu tape makes a perfect 'knob' for such a lid. One or three holes beside one edge will let steam escape without burning you when you reach for the knob.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: Re: snow peak lid on 03/17/2007 12:57:07 MDT Print View

You can simply crimp the edges around the lip of the pot to fit as tight or as loose as you want:

Lid

FYI, If you're not cooking with the SP 450, a plastic coffee-cup lid fits it well to avoid spills:

Plastic Lid

Edited by jasonklass on 03/17/2007 13:06:26 MDT.