Forum Index » GEAR » EDC Knife

Display Avatars Sort By:
M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Gerber LST on 09/28/2012 21:38:52 MDT Print View

EDC for me (@ home, @work and in the car mostly) is the Gerber LST @ 1.3 oz. Sometimes I add a Leatherman S2 or PS4 multitool.

Mike

Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Re: EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 22:33:46 MDT Print View

In the past, I've carried a CRKT PECK, Kershaw Two-Can, SOG Flash I, Boker Credit Card, Leatherman Style, Leatherman Style PS, and Spyderco Squeak.

The 1.0 oz. PECK was nice, one-hand opener, like having a heavy-duty razorblade in my pocket. Nice and sturdy frame-lock, but a bit heavy for what it is.

The 0.6 oz. Two-Can is a sleeper. Clever scissors and knife with only two blades, it always catches my eye before every backpacking trip because of its weight. Terrible carabiner design though, and I prefer knives that open with one hand.

The 1.2 oz. SOG Flash I is super-nice in the pocket. Good steel, nice handle, small package, assisted opener (thus "flash").

The 1.2 oz. Boker Credit Card is an interesting frame lock about the size of the credit card. It is a bit harsh in the hand for heavy cutting, but is wonderfully slim on the pocket (even with the pocket clip).

The 0.8 oz. Style is my daily EDC multi-tool. Sadly, this now has replaced my Style PS (see below).

The 1.6 oz. Style PS is a wonderful compact multi-tool positioned for airline carry since it has no blades. I found the pliers (same as Squirt P4) quite useful, and the scissors could be opened with one hand (somewhat easily). Unfortunately, the scissors broke three times while in my pocket, and although Leatherman replaced them twice, I'm afraid it'll just happen again.

The 1.2 Spyderco Squeak is the EDC knife I carry when not using the Style. It has a clever non-locking blade that can't collapse because your finger blocks (in a safe way) the blade. Wonderful steel (Italian!) and solid handle for a small knife.

I have carried by accident an Opinel No. 7 and a Kuhn Rikon Paring knife in my backpack, along with a Leatherman P4, in addition to my EDC!

The PECK, Flash I, and Boker, can no longer be "legally" carried here in NYC because they have locking blades, but then it depends what you're doing when frisked. I still carry them now-and-then, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

Edited by Einstein on 09/28/2012 22:35:08 MDT.

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 23:56:47 MDT Print View

Normally I slip a Benchmite into the coin pocket of my jeans. (Got it as a free promo, and at a 1/4" thin I haven't felt reason to look for something slimmer.)

My Kulgera is a bit large to fit in most fitted clothes but it gets to come out for general sporting and recreation. I also have a Style PS often in the vicinity (usually in a bag or jacket).

Edited by requiem on 09/29/2012 00:00:51 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 23:58:46 MDT Print View

Benchmade 940 Osborne

"The Knife"

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
EDC Knife on 09/29/2012 04:23:18 MDT Print View

Gerber LST

Nancy Twilley
(goodcaver2)

Locale: STL
EDC knife on 09/29/2012 09:11:54 MDT Print View

Benchmade Mini Griptilian in baby blue!

I had a Kershaw Leek (in the same color) that I loved and that was cheaper and lighter, but the pocket clip must have failed at some point because I lost it. Griptilian is solid.

Edited by goodcaver2 on 09/29/2012 09:13:04 MDT.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: EDC knife on 09/29/2012 09:25:46 MDT Print View

I use a Victorinox Rambler which is basically a fat "Classic" which has added a small philips head screwdriver which is seem to frequently use. The blade (just like the classic) is rather minimalistic, but it's enough for most of my needs. I typically have a Benchmade Ritter MK1 near by if I need a substantial blade.

--Mark

Jim L
(bmafg) - M
EDC Knife on 09/29/2012 09:31:17 MDT Print View

If I'm in slacks it's my Wm Henry otherwise one of a dozen depending on what I'm wearing and what I expect to need to do.

Jim

Edited by bmafg on 09/29/2012 09:31:53 MDT.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
a brian goode on 09/29/2012 09:43:36 MDT Print View

friction folder. he makes about a dozen of these a year and they sell out in about 5 minutes at the atlanta blade show in June.

BGOODE1

BGOODE2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/812863-First-Friction-Folder-WIP

http://www.bgoodeknives.com/gallery.htm

Edited by RICKO on 09/29/2012 10:08:13 MDT.

Gia Le
(giale123) - F
benchmade 551h20 or spyderco pacific salt on 09/29/2012 10:20:49 MDT Print View

Depending on what environment you in, you should consider a knife with a blade that is rust resistant, like the benchmade 551h2o or spyderco pacific salt. You cannot go wrong with either of these. They are both built to high standards, and retain a good edge even when sitting in water.
If your hands sweat and such, and you don't want to deal with rust on your blades, invest in one of these and it will be worth it. I have had a spyderco pacific salt for 4 years, no problem. I just got my benchmade 551h2o and it is superb.

Make sure you get a knife that you can use for EVERYday carrying. Most won't last you 3 months.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: EDC Knife on 09/29/2012 14:41:40 MDT Print View

I found a Benchmade Mini Pika original model in a thrift store for $4.50. It had a nick in the blade and sent it to Benchmade for repair and they did a great job.

The knife has a 2.9" 440 stainless steel patially serrated blade, lockback design, linerless handle, and a deep carry, point down, ambidextrous pocket clip. The blade can be opened (slowly) with one hand using the oval hole in the blade. It weighs 2.0oz on my scale.

It works well for me for EDC and general cutting chores. I typically carry a larger knife with a stronger design for hiking, but I wouldn't be adverse for carrying this knife on the trail. The design is much like many Spyderco models or the Gerber LST models where the handle has no metal liners, reducing the weight, strength and cost.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/10410

I also like to carry a small multi tool like a Letherman Style or Victorinox Classic. I've been carrying the Style lately. I do miss the toothpick on the Classic.

My criteria for an EDC knife:

Left hand capable

Pocket clip

Light weight

Slim design

Inexpensive---- EDC knives are more prone to loss and abuse

Easy to sharpen and clean

Locking blade

One handed opening

Under 3.5" for legal local carry

Good ergonomics

Public friendly

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/03/2012 10:07:41 MDT.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Case on 09/30/2012 11:47:09 MDT Print View

My grandfather told me that every man should always have 1.A knife 2.a hankerchief and 3.a dollar in change on him at all times.

I can't stand change in my pocket, but I do always have a hanky and my W.R.Case Sod Buster Jr. in tow. Come to find out, my grandfather actually carried the same knife on him while working at the Charleston Naval Shipyard as well as Oscar Mayer. Neat coincidence.

Ron Berry
(squishware)

Locale: Southwest Florida
edc knife on 09/30/2012 13:22:41 MDT Print View

I just sold my ZDP-189 Full Flat Ground Endura 4 and bought a Tom Krein Reground Stainless steel handle Endura with VG-10. I like the VG-10 because it's very easy to keep sharp. Three passes on each side on my compound loaded strop, less than a minute. I didn't touch the ZDP-189 one for 6 months and it stayed reasonably sharp.ss endura

Ron Berry
(squishware)

Locale: Southwest Florida
ss endura on 09/30/2012 13:24:20 MDT Print View

The weirdness on the handle is the plastic protecting the stainless before I removed it.

John Tunnicliffe
(BenWaller)

Locale: Northern California
EDC Kershaw Skyline on 09/30/2012 19:37:29 MDT Print View

I find the Kershaw Skyline adequate for EDC. Sandvik 14C28N stainless, 2.3 ounces, G-10 handles, single side frame, American made. I used to carry a Wave when I was mainly doing physical jobs but after a few years I got tired of it pulling my pants down to my knees and besides I didn't really need it that often. It stays in the BOB in the truck.

I recommend that Skyline regularly when asked as I have not found a more practical blade for EDC or for general on-trail use. It's not a bushcraft blade, for that I favor the Kabar Mark 1 Navy. Heavy as that is I always carry it off-trail and I always find it more useful than heavy.

rexx john
(psychbeat) - F

Locale: SF CA
+1 for opinel on 10/01/2012 00:39:24 MDT Print View

some of the smaller opinels are fairly light and VERY affordable.

Jack Richland
(BlackScoutSurvival) - F
EDC Knife on 10/01/2012 19:14:59 MDT Print View

I've carried the Emerson CQC-7B for 10+ years and by far my favorite tactical folder/EDC knife I've owned. It has a longer handle than most tactical folders and I have large hands so it gives me positive control.

As of late I've been carrying the Benchmade Griptilian, I truly only bought the knife because of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on the blade. But I've come to like the knife for the price.Benchmade

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: EDC Knife on 10/02/2012 14:17:40 MDT Print View

Swiss army knife - the little tiny one - on my keychain. One of the freebie giveaways that companies often hand out. Great scissors on it.

Kershaw Random Leek - in my pocket. An amazing one handed knife that I use constantly for cutting apples, or opening packages, etc. I really love it. GREAT blade.

Edited by keith_bassett on 10/02/2012 14:46:15 MDT.

Jim Larkey
(jimlarkey) - MLife

Locale: NoCO
Knife on 10/02/2012 17:57:53 MDT Print View

Gerber EAB 2.13oz, never sharpen....EAB

Steve Jenkins
(KillJoy) - F
EDC on 10/02/2012 18:53:23 MDT Print View

Leatherman Wave. All day. Every Day.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wave