Forum Index » GEAR » EDC Knife

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brandon Vidrine
(bvidrine82)
EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 14:53:43 MDT Print View

Just out of curiosity, what knife do you currently EDC and why? For all you gram weenies (myself included) I'm not talking about what you throw in the pack for thru hikes, and I'm not concerned about weight (for the purposes of this thread only), but I'm looking for the knife you grab before heading out to work or routine daily use around the house.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Bradley Alias II on 09/28/2012 15:27:41 MDT Print View

I carry a Bradley Alias II folding frame-lock knife with titanium frame and 2.95" S30V blade.
Weighs 3 ounces.
Awesome EDC knife.

Edited by towaly on 09/28/2012 15:28:22 MDT.

James Tisdale
(Jameyt) - M

Locale: PaNW
Keeping it small and simple on 09/28/2012 15:41:38 MDT Print View

Leatherman Micra.

I use the scissors about 20x more than I actually use the blade.

Eric Moe
(EricMoe) - F

Locale: Washington
EDC selection on 09/28/2012 15:59:21 MDT Print View

Varies a lot based on season and what pants/shorts/mood I'm wearing.

This week it is a Kershaw Blur.
Others I EDC are a Kershaw Leek, Dajo Ascent, Gerber EZ-Out, Spyderco Street Beat and a few others.
New go-to for backpacking is Mora/LMF fireknife.

Roy Staggs
(onepaddlejunkie) - F

Locale: SEC
leatherman on 09/28/2012 16:07:57 MDT Print View

Leatherman S4, or at least I think that's what I says on the side. It's been on my key ring so long it looks like it's been sandblasted. Bought a Benchmade 585 Mini- Barrage the other day. I think I am really going to like the knife, but the only knife I know for sure I'll have on me is the Leatherman.

Chris Lacey
(Staplebox) - F
edc on 09/28/2012 16:08:02 MDT Print View

Most days a Leatherman Squirt PS4 to hide in front pocket in casual business dress. It has everything I need during the day. Also what I take camping.
Sometimes a small Crane two blade folder. Much smaller.
Weekends is a Kershaw Leek composite. More utility for cutting but not as versatile as the Leatherman.

I have to have some knife on me at all times, for utility not self defense.

Edit to add info.

Edited by Staplebox on 09/28/2012 16:12:16 MDT.

Dan U
(danno141) - F

Locale: North Central Texas
Light sturdy knife on 09/28/2012 16:09:18 MDT Print View

I carry a Benchmade 530 both for backpacking and walking around.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/530

Brandon Vidrine
(bvidrine82)
Re: Bradley Alias II on 09/28/2012 16:12:23 MDT Print View

Have you seen the CRK Sebenza? How long have you used the Bradley?

Andrew Weldon
(hypnolobster) - F
Re: EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 16:21:41 MDT Print View

Usually a Ken Onion/Kershaw Leek. I carried a Benchmade Mini Barrage for quite a while and loved that, too.

I have a little leatherman PS4 mini multitool on my keychain as well.

Dan U
(danno141) - F

Locale: North Central Texas
Benchmark or Bradley on 09/28/2012 16:29:23 MDT Print View

The Alias II looks like a titanium version of the Benchmade 530. Benchmade even helped design it. One thing, I don't see a description of the locking mechanism anywhere.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Gerber Harsey Air Ranger on 09/28/2012 16:31:57 MDT Print View

For years. 2.6 oz., less than 2 oz. without stainless clip. Great knife and not the least bit puny.

Gerber Air Ranger

Matthew Naylor
(mrnlegato)

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 17:00:27 MDT Print View

Spyderco Delica - small, solid and satisfying grip, good jimping, many colors to choose from, awesome blade, 1-hand opening (can even wrist-flick it with practice), and respected by martial artists on top of that.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
EDC on 09/28/2012 17:26:44 MDT Print View

Ken Onion Eros 2. 20 grams, 2" needle sharp blade with titanium frame. Spliced to my car key with a bit of Dyneema cord, so pretty much with me all the time. Only good for light cutting though (letters, packaging and such)

Recent acquisition: Benchmade 707 Sequel. 2.95" blade, Axis lock. Aluminum scales. 68g. Thinner than my previously carried Mini-griptillian 556 and lighter than the Mini-barrage 585. First impression is that this should be a good all around EDC.

Edited by BER on 10/03/2012 11:16:04 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: EDC on 09/28/2012 17:35:06 MDT Print View

I carry an ESEE Izula- same knife I use hiking. Hiking I carry it in a kydex sheath (neck carry), not hiking I carry in a pocket sheath w/ a LD01 light

Photobucket

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Re: Re: Bradley Alias II on 09/28/2012 17:36:41 MDT Print View

Yes, I spent a good amount of time comparing the Chris Reeve Sebenza to the Bradley Alias.
In the end, I felt that the Bradley Alias was the better knife for me. The shape fits my hand better.
I've had the Bradley for about a year and a half now. I love it.

While I think CRK makes very fine knives, and the Sebenza is considered a classic, it's not my cup of tea.

Regarding the comment about the Bradley being like the Benchmade, the Bradley Alias IS made by Benchmade under contract, and is at a level between the Benchmade Blue Class and the Gold Class, so it is made to a very high standard. Benchmade handles any warrantee claims for life with this knife.

And for the question about the locking mechanism, the Bradley Alias is a titanium frame-lock.

Edited by towaly on 09/28/2012 17:38:42 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 17:49:37 MDT Print View

Opinel Garden Knife.
It probably won't pierce Kevlar, thwart attackers, or cut me out of a burning fuselage...

...but it does a heck of job opening boxes and slicing avocados for lunch without scaring people by getting all paramilitary looking.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Ahhh on 09/28/2012 18:10:57 MDT Print View

Well, I would create quite a stir in my workplace were I to have a knife, but that Opinel is sure a nice, practical piece. Not much "tactical" vibe, but one heck of a nice piece of steel.

My #8 carbon has been with me on every backpack trip since 1980.

Christian Denniston
(cdenniston) - F
EDC on 09/28/2012 20:40:57 MDT Print View

Victorinox Pioneer: my everyday carry for the past year or so. Everything I need and nearly nothing I don't.
- Blade
- Awl: for making holes in various things and cutting zip-ties
- Flat Head Screwdriver
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Can Opener: a bit useless but comes in handy every once in a while
- Bottle Opener

I also use an Opinel No.6 when dressing up and for special occasions and an original Leatherman when doing heavy work. If your looking for a blade only knife I would recommend the Kershaw Leek, cheap and sleek.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Edc on 09/28/2012 21:01:36 MDT Print View

I carry a couple different knives, always have one with me, but mostly I carry a CRK small Sebenza. N the weekends knocking around doing chores I mostly carry a bench made mini griptilian.

I sometimes carry a spyderco Michael walker carbon fiber. It is thin and light.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: EDC Knife on 09/28/2012 21:38:33 MDT Print View

Lately I have been carrying my Spyderco Tenacious. It is a good, handy knife and is inexpensive so if I lose it I won't mind so much, but for my daily use, it works great.

I also have my Benchmade Griptilian that I sometimes carry. The steel is better in the Griptilian than in the Tenacious, but it would hurt my feelings more if I were to lose the Griptilian...

I would like to upgrade my Tenacious to a Paramilitary 2 with the S30V steel...however, it too will be a more expensive knife...

Edited by Stick on 09/28/2012 21:40:28 MDT.