Forum Index » Chaff » How many folk backpack all year round.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 19:58:00 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

Just a thought but I would like to try roughly figure out what kind of percentage of active members on here backpack in all seasons.

I much prefer getting in to the outdoors outside of summer to dodge the Heat, bugs and the masses. Don't get me wrong summer trips in remote areas with a light pack can be amazing.

If you don't backpack all year round please tell me why.

Cheers,

Stephen

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:22:06 MDT Print View

I backpack in all seasons. It's easy around here to find places that stay above freezing in the winter. It can get very rainy though.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:24:06 MDT Print View

I would love to do so locally, but it gets too hot and I'm much too fat to do so. I can't afford to take short trips up to where it's still cool in the summer. I do night hikes during the summer though.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:35:39 MDT Print View

Lightweight backpacking can be great in lower elevations of Arizona and the Southeast, but in the Rockies (or other high mountains) I don't like overnight soloing in deep snow with short days/long nights in the dead of winter. XC snow day trips are OK in Dec-Feb. but with a burning fireplace at day's end.

ed. add

Edited by hknewman on 09/26/2012 20:38:06 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:41:35 MDT Print View

Live in Northeast.. don't have or want major cold weather gear. I stick to snowshoeing for fun and other activities. opposite of Eugene.. i'm too skinny, don't have enough personal insulation. BRRR

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:50:38 MDT Print View

May-Oct for me in the Pacific Northwest US.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:57:04 MDT Print View

Winter means lots of day hikes in lowland forests for me when the trails are snowed in. There are several books on winter hikes in Washington. We have found some good history-oriented hikes and rail trails that make good winter trips.

Other than snowed-in trailheads, rain and limited daylight take their tolls on winter hiking time. Then again, the crowds and the bugs are gone.

I've been wanting to get snowshoes, which should extend the hiking season and options

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:57:29 MDT Print View

I try to go on a 3 or 4 night backpack every month. Last miss was April 2011. Then January 2008.

Stick to Oregon and Washington. Sometimes it's a little hard to find a trip that stays above 20 degrees F, about my lower limit. And I avoid too windy/rainy. Usually possible to find a trip each month.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 20:59:43 MDT Print View

But about October until May I see almost no backpackers - I don't know why - no bugs, it's not overly hot, you need to have the right gear.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
How many folk backpack all year round => snow camping! on 09/26/2012 21:02:42 MDT Print View

In the winter in California above 7K, we call it snow camping.

Shorter hikes, more solitude, and fresh ingredients for your dinner. What could be better. :-))

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
How many folks backpack all year around? on 09/26/2012 21:31:17 MDT Print View

The last 4 years I have hiked all year kinda? I have been lucky enough to backpack every month except November & December because of holidays and family stuff keeps me busy at the end of the year. You gotta love California because of Sierras and the Coastal Range--many options.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: How many folks backpack all year around? on 09/26/2012 22:11:19 MDT Print View

Come snow camping this year Jay. Its warmer than Coe in February.

I don't stop taking trips but I prefer to take trips in Yosemite National Park this time of year, instead of the wilderness areas in the national forests. I generally avoid the national forests during hunting season. The second reason is that Yosemite is a special experience in the winter when the traffic and crowds are far less.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 09/26/2012 22:11:56 MDT.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
re: winter on 09/26/2012 22:39:37 MDT Print View

I hike May to October most weekends (I get three day weekends). This Winter I do plan to begin the Appalachian Trail. However when staying in Montana I find Winter too cold and dark to hike in the winter. I prefer daytime activities like Snowboarding, skiing and snow shoeing.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
How many folk backpack all year round on 09/26/2012 22:48:34 MDT Print View

I once got all prepared for year-around backpacking and took a class in winter camping, but I decided it wasn't for me. Too many long dark hours in the tent! I dayhike year around (quite possible here in western OR where it snows down to the valley floor maybe twice a winter), but no overnights.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
I do. on 09/26/2012 22:50:50 MDT Print View

Places and months I've backpacked:

Alaska: March, June, July, August, September, October
California: January, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec between coastal, Sierra, Big Sur, and desert trips.
Baja: January
Washington: April through October
Hawaii: Jan, Feb, March, April.
New Zealand: March
Costa Rica: December
Zimbabwe: August

So, yeah, year-round. Year-round was easiest in California with its varied terrain and climates. Now, year-round trips involve more air travel (or snow camping).

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 22:59:46 MDT Print View

I do, though the wife and I do mostly car camping during the winter. Portable DVD is heavenly for winter. So is an electric bed warmer. Fortunately for me the local climate/geography is kind enough to allow camping year round in very varied conditions.

Too hot inland? Stick by the coast. Sick of the fog? Go inland. Mountains, beaches, lush forests all around. Why not go out?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: How many folk backpack all year round. on 09/26/2012 23:12:55 MDT Print View

I am plan to start bikepacking. Hopefully the extra ventilation will keep me cool enough to keep doing trip throughout the summer. I may be picking up a new bike soon. Since I'll mostly train at night, I already have bike lights on the way.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
I do too on 09/26/2012 23:17:40 MDT Print View

In all weathers, climates and elevations, but not as much as I'd like.

I'm excited to try my new pair of snowshoes out.
I still want to get a better floorless shelter, too

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: I do too on 09/27/2012 05:10:54 MDT Print View

Keep them coming folks, I am just getting a flight to the Rockies, will reply next week.

Edited by stephenm on 09/27/2012 05:12:07 MDT.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Year Round in CA on 09/27/2012 17:54:47 MDT Print View

I backpack year round here in CA.

The locations vary by season though. Late fall through the spring is largely in my local National Forest. I'll get the occasional snow camping or rainy trip but it's mostly just cold and clear (for winter) in an empty forest/desert ranging from 0' to about 8,000' elevation and then warm and sunny in the spring.

Sometime in the spring it starts to get too hot and dry locally, so from then through the early fall, I transition my trips to cooler and/or higher climes, like hikes in the Sierra or hikes in Big Sur.

At any time of the year, I can get in a weekend trip within a few hours drive of my house. I only occasionally venture outside of the state for a trip just because of the diversity and convenience of my home state.