Forum Index » GEAR » please suggest to me a bag according to my needs listed

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik)

Locale: Allways on the move
please suggest to me a bag according to my needs listed on 09/24/2012 14:29:34 MDT Print View

Hi guys, currently I own an 1100gram (38.8 ounce)weighted 300gram duck down filled bag that I would like to replace for a lighter one.

-I am 6'4" tall so the first requirement is a 'Tall' bag.
-Secondly I want a very light bag.
-I also would like to keep the same performance value so am looking at keeping the 300g duck down fill. I know different manufacturer have different ways of rating their bags but basically need it to be 'comfortable' not 'survivable' to 32F (0 celcius) mark which when I am wearing my thermals I am comfy to 32F (o Celsius) with a 300g filled bag with the insulated mat I am using.
-I want a full length zipper.
-I want drawstrings at the collar/face opening.
-I just read something about an 'insulated collar' which sounds lovely.
-I think that is all.
-Oh yeah, at this stage I am open to all suggestions so price does not matter....I just want to see what's available

Thanks for your time.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Price range? on 09/24/2012 14:51:18 MDT Print View

Check out the marmot plasma.

Seriously there are so many options, but whatever you decide get 850+ fill down and make sure the bag is extremely lightweight as this will make up a large portion of your baseweight and you will have it for a long long time.

Edited by M.L on 09/24/2012 14:54:00 MDT.

mik matra
(mikmik)

Re: Price range? on 09/25/2012 04:38:18 MDT Print View

At this point I am not worried about price range but want some bags you guys know so I can check them out please.

Marmot Plasma looks nice!!

Nick G
(HermesUL) - F
Some ideas on 09/25/2012 05:59:16 MDT Print View

If money really is no object, check out Nunatuk. I could only dream of affording their stuff, so I haven't tried it but it looks excellent. They use very high fill down, and I think they'll let you substitute even higher if the bags aren't expensive enough.
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/main_pages/product_sleep_systems.htm

Of the bags they sell, the Raku and the Alpinist look closest to your specs, although warmer. The sub-alpinist is the weight you want, but only a half zip.

I like the Golite 1+ season bag, but its only a half zip and rated to 40 degrees, so not quite what you're looking for--although you could check it out.

Take a look at the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina. It's a little overdone with features so its heavier than necessary, but a decent bag.

Check out the review section of the BPL forums and see if there are some other sleeping bags on the market. Most BPL folks are into quilts, but there's still a lot of mummy bag buzz.

Also, do a search for similar threads because there's tons of talk around about sleeping bags.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Price range? on 09/25/2012 06:01:09 MDT Print View

If price is not a factor, I don't see why you'd want duck down. Goose down can be roughly 40% more efficient. I can think of no advantage to duck down than price. You can even get goose down bags that have a special treatment that makes it water resistant. I doubt you'll ever see that kind of treatment applied to duck down.

If you're a man and want extra warmth, and you're looking at a quality unisex bag, look for the women's EN rating....which is the same as buying a bag for lower temperatures. Of course if you're a woman, you should make sure you buy a bag with the appropriate women's EN rating.

I think the insulated collar might be the hardest thing to find in a 32°F bag. You might have to dip a couple degrees to 30°F. The reason is probably because 32°F isn't cold enough for drafts to be uncomfortable, at least for me.

Have you considering backpacking quilts? They're much lighter and more compact for the same warmth. Backpacking quilts from several companies are custom made, so you should have no problem getting a quilt that perfect for your height. A couple even have zippers in the footbox that allows it to be opened up completely like a comforter. Some would say they're well priced too, but again, we don't know your budget.

If you truly have no budget and want a great sleeping bag, both Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends have 30°F insulated collars, along with the other features you wanted except for duck down. These are premium bags, which means high quality goose down.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
WM Megalite long on 09/25/2012 06:56:37 MDT Print View

I'd suggest a Western Mountaineering Megalite Long, and there just happens to be one on the Gear Swap right now with a left zipper.
I'm not the seller, nor do I know the seller, but I saw it on the board for a good price.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68241

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: please suggest to me a bag according to my needs listed on 09/25/2012 07:18:58 MDT Print View

Feathered Friends. Range of temps, various standard girths and length, plus custom options beyond and in between. 850-900 fill. They make great bags.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/SleepingBags.html

Samuel Kau
(Skau)

Locale: Southern California
Re: please suggest to me a bag according to my needs listed on 09/25/2012 12:29:07 MDT Print View

I would also support western mountaineering or feathered friends if you are looking at more traditional sleeping bags. If you were to go with a quilt, nunatak or katabatic are great companies with great products if price really is not an issue and i have no experience with zpacks quilt but that one is LIGHT.

mik matra
(mikmik)

Re: Re: please suggest to me a bag according to my needs listed on 09/25/2012 14:06:38 MDT Print View

Thank you for your great responses!!

I have read 'quilt' on BPL a few times but am not aware of their designs or anything about them. Are they lighter for the same temp rating?

Any info would be much appreciated.