Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » First Sewing Project! : Hammock Underquilt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
First Sewing Project! : Hammock Underquilt on 09/24/2012 09:28:51 MDT Print View

Well this was my first attempt at sewing anything, and honestly I'm quite impressed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The finished down underquilt is 60"x 48" and weighs in at 28oz which is pretty heavy. It has 4.5 inches of loft. I used the sports ripstop from JoAnn's Fabric which is not the lightest of material. If I had some 1.1 oz ripstop I would have saved some weight. From what I read the JA ripstop is a hair over 2 oz / yard. The quilt is built on a sliding bungee channel for easy adjustment. I used mesh ribbon from wally world for the 2.5 inch baffles.

Heres the cost rundown

50% Joann's coupon.
4.4 yards of ripstop @ 4.50/yard = 19.80
10 yards of 1/8 bungee @ .39/yard = 3.90
10 yards of mesh ribbon = 5.00
Cord Locks = Stole from jackets around the house = Free :)
Down (? oz) = $10.00
* Bought 2 Huge XL coats with Chinese labels from the goodwill with very good down! Did not measure the down per baffle, simply filled each one to the same level, let it settle, toped off what needed it and sewed it shut.

Total Cost: $38.70 + 15 hours give or take labor

Next project is making a top quilt. I am going to need 4.5 yards of material, anybody know a good place for cheap 1.1 oz ripstop??

Edited by cmich on 09/24/2012 09:34:28 MDT.

James W.
(jimmyjam)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
First sewing project on 09/24/2012 10:42:53 MDT Print View

Travis,

That looks pretty good for a first MYOG. You can good sil from Quest Outfitters. They sell "seconds" at discount and the ones I've gotten I could not tell why they were seconds. Shipping will be minimal and quest usually ends up charging you less shipping than what will come up on their on line order form.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Good work! on 09/24/2012 10:56:10 MDT Print View

Good looking piece of gear Travis! Since it was your first time, I think using the Joanne's fabric & cheap down was a great idea. I think DIYGearSupply.com has the market cornered on cheap ripstop. You can get their 1.1oz 2nds for about $3 per yard. Several folks have made quilts with it & it's a nice fabric for the price.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 09/24/2012 10:57:43 MDT.

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: First Sewing Project! : Hammock Underquilt on 09/24/2012 16:31:11 MDT Print View

Really nice job on the underquilt Travis, keep up the good work!