Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Gaiters for Bushwhacking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Carol-Admin Crooker
(carol-admin) - F
Make Your Own Gear: Gaiters for Bushwhacking on 03/13/2007 23:21:31 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Gaiters for Bushwhacking

Alan Bradley
(ahbradley)
Poncho/Jacket on 03/15/2007 13:21:43 MDT Print View

Your Poncho/Jacket / Rucsac Cover looks good: are you making a pattern for it?

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Thanks on 03/15/2007 20:22:59 MDT Print View

Thanks Roger. Nice rugged design mate. I have made similar but less elegant ones made from cordura gortex I had lying around (unfortunately it was bright red).
I extended the front of the gaiter to cover all the shoe laces then put a little hook under it to hold it down there. A bit hot for summer but great for snow/winter bushwalking/XCskiing.

Thanks again.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Poncho/Jacket on 03/16/2007 14:40:01 MDT Print View

> Your Poncho/Jacket / Rucsac Cover looks good: are you making a pattern for it?

Maybe one day in the future.
But in the meantime I think you can buy almost identical things from Cedar Tree (www.thepacka.com): he calls them 'Packas' as a blend between Poncho and Parka. Personally though, I do NOT believe in the pit zips. See what you think?

Edited by rcaffin on 03/16/2007 14:41:01 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Thanks on 03/16/2007 14:44:51 MDT Print View

> I extended the front of the gaiter to cover all the shoe laces then put a little hook under it to hold it down there.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The front does cover most of the laces, and I am experimenting with hooks as well. They are a bit of a pain in some ways, but maybe the benefits outweigh the problems.

By using uncoated light Cordura for the top at least they are not too sweaty. I have Goretex ones for the snow - one place where GoreTex has some advantage.