Forum Index » Gear Deals » 100% Merino and Merino Blend Sweaters at the GOODWILL

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
100% Merino and Merino Blend Sweaters at the GOODWILL on 09/22/2012 01:56:36 MDT Print View

I'm not sure if this has been discussed for sure but the Goodwill is a great source for Merino and Merino blended sweaters and sometimes shirts. I found a mens mid weight sweater, heavy weight sweater and numerous womans shirts/sweaters with 100% Merino. I have found some Merino blends that are 88/12 merino/nylon and one 80/20 merino/poly. My girlfriend found an Icebreaker tank top that retails $45 that she uses as her regular trail running shirt. Not to mention the other numerous TNF and Columbia Fleeces/Jackets that are lurking around there sometimes (but who needs that? :P)
I make gloves, socks, beanies, and headbands out of the womans shirts and sweaters I find as they are generally "Extra-fine" and very nice on bare skin. The sweaters are nice to layer with a merino baselayer.

Just a heads up for the budget backpacker and MYOGer.
Sorry for my long-winded nature.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: 100% Merino and Merino Blend Sweaters at the GOODWILL on 09/22/2012 02:16:06 MDT Print View

I have hunted a few goodwills for wool stuff. I found a couple of very nice wool sweaters that both weigh about 10 oz. One was an alfani merino wool sweater. Found a heavy wool flannel with thin polyester puffy lining. I also found an Ibex pullover, but it is way too big for me unfortunately.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: 100% Merino and Merino Blend Sweaters at the GOODWILL on 09/22/2012 02:23:58 MDT Print View

I actually like wool sweaters made by non hiking brands a lot better. They are so much lighter and fluffy (and warmer). It seems like manufacturers are trying to make their wool stuff way too tightly woven like synthetics.

Edited by justin_baker on 09/22/2012 02:24:41 MDT.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
"100% Merino and Merino Blend Sweaters at the GOODWILL" on 09/22/2012 07:16:10 MDT Print View

Cost is usually UNDER $5.00 for one.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: 100% Merino and Merino Blend Sweaters at the GOODWILL on 09/22/2012 07:41:30 MDT Print View

Also check Marshall's and Target.