Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Winter Pack recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Granite Gear on 09/22/2012 14:05:23 MDT Print View

Look at Granite Gear. You need tougher material for winter. They also make military/tactical packs so they have a handle on what it takes to make tough, reliable packs.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 09/22/2012 15:03:39 MDT Print View

That's a lot of effort John, Well done :-)

Hi Eric,

Will have aloof at GG.

Cheers both,

Stephen

Edited by stephenm on 09/22/2012 17:46:52 MDT.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
stephen - i have a couple of diffrent pads, with may favorite being egg crate foam on 09/24/2012 09:56:26 MDT Print View

pad from nunatak or a ridge rest. the nunatak pad is called the luna, but if you search for it by typing *luna pad* the first results are not going to be for the pad i use. you've been warned. depending on what we have planned i might also add a torso length self inflating pad. with lots of sharp pointy things around i'd never just have an inflatable pad. the id event overbag adds i'm guessing around 5*, maybe. it's hard to tell. i don't always bring it when i have a tent. we like to sleep out and it's perfect for that.

Edited by RICKO on 09/24/2012 09:58:45 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: stephen - i have a couple of diffrent pads, with may favorite being egg crate foam on 10/03/2012 14:04:01 MDT Print View

Cheers Richard,

Brian Austin
(footeab) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 10/03/2012 18:10:37 MDT Print View

Hmm, I usually always climb with 2 or 3 guys I know. in winter, we Always take a Big McHale Alpiner backpack(7lbs-8lbs) we got used, best find EVER! and a smaller summit pack and a knapsack for the guy carrying the McHale or skip it and leave all the gear at base camp and strip the McHale down to about 4lbs, Heavy, but not all that bad either. We switch out who carries the monster load. Best of both worlds. Do the same thing when one guy goes in a day early as they have an extra day of vacation while the other guy has to haul a$$ at a 16 mile clip or more to catch up.

PS. Your Catalyst Pack will carry winter gear with some finagelling with straps and gear tied on. Awkward? Yea, though not after you do it twice or more. Easily doable. Will have to create a foam pad or sometimes simpler is a sleeve of cordura nylon that is put around your ski for attaching skis as skis sharp edges will destroy any lightweight backpack in VERY short order. Attaching snowshoes? No problem on any pack with a couple extra straps.

PS. I will never carry a Gregory, Dana Designs-Mystery Ranch-Marmot, Osprey, Cilo Gear again after carrying a McHale for heavy loads. NEVER EVER!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 10/03/2012 18:20:55 MDT Print View

Cheers Brian,

I have used the Catalyst for a couple of winter trips in Scotland (without skis or snowshoes) and it was fine.

I have heard a lot of great things about McHale packs.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: re: winter pack on 10/03/2012 20:38:41 MDT Print View

I'll second the recommendation of the Hyperlight Mountain Gear Expedition pack. Just had mine up in the Colorado Rockies for 5 days, and it carried beautifully.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: re: winter pack on 10/04/2012 04:23:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Don,

A buddy just pointed me that way also.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re: winter pack on 03/18/2013 18:33:20 MDT Print View

Folks,

Haven't got around to getting new winter pack, just seeing if anyone had any more recommendations?

Cheers,

Stephen

Henry Thomas
(hthomas) - M
Winter Pack on 03/18/2013 20:10:48 MDT Print View

I was in the same position but after looking at large capacity packs decided on the pulk. I encourage you to check out Skipulks.com. You can't beat a pulk for cold weather camping.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Winter Pack on 03/19/2013 04:40:51 MDT Print View

I do plan to get a pulk Henry at some stage but also need a load hauler for where a pulk can't go.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Winter Pack on 03/19/2013 11:21:26 MDT Print View

I have an original Dana Designs Terraplane. (7.5 lbs!!)

My recommendation would be something from Granite Gear in the 4,500 cu. in range with exterior straps on the bottom for truly huge synthetic winter bags or winter mattresses.

Granite Gear makes tough packs that are comfortable. Not UL but still light.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
40lbs seems right on 03/19/2013 11:33:46 MDT Print View

My weight for a 4-day trip up Camel's Hump iN VT in January, with snowshoes and crampons, was like 35lbs. I think 40 is an ok estimate, since I didn't have a stove (someone else did).

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 03/19/2013 11:56:32 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 20:03:30 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 03/19/2013 12:00:47 MDT Print View

I concur with Rog.

In fact, I'm going to be using my Catalyst this weekend. :)

But you're bringing the Hilleberg though, correct? That might take up some pack real estate.

Edit: I see way back in your OP that you mentioned mountaineering. That I have no experience with.

Edited by T.L. on 03/19/2013 12:02:44 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 03/19/2013 12:12:16 MDT Print View

Cheers Guys,

It is for Winter trips in the Rockies and back in Europe when carrying crampons, shovel and snowshoes.

It will probaly only be used 2-3 times a year.

Edited by stephenm on 03/19/2013 12:40:54 MDT.

tommy d
(vinovampire) - F
Black Diamond Mission 75 Pack on 03/20/2013 17:57:01 MDT Print View

I've found the Black Diamond Mission 75 pack to work well for my winter needs. It's a nice, streamlined pack. It has well-considered places for crampons, axes, and snowshoes to attach to the pack when not in use. It should have plenty of space for a multi-day winter trip.

Black Diamond Mission 75 Pack

Good luck with your search!

Edited by vinovampire on 03/20/2013 18:00:40 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 03/20/2013 18:55:49 MDT Print View

Hurry up Stephen. Winter is almost over.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Winter Pack recommendations on 03/20/2013 19:01:16 MDT Print View

Its for next winter Dave, I am stocking up with kit this side of the pond in case we get sent back to Belgium as there is a bit of a shake up at work at the moment.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Black Diamond Mission 75 Pack on 03/20/2013 19:03:55 MDT Print View

Cheers Tommy, nice pic.