Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lost Coast Trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Speckman

Locale: santa cruz mountains
Lost Coast Trail on 09/21/2012 16:21:13 MDT Print View

Planning on the Mattole to Black Sands section in early October.
Had a few questions for those that want to weigh in:

Gaiters - worth it? So far, the plan is a pair of inov-8 roclite 295. I've got an old pair of dirty girls, but they currently reside in a black hole in my closet.

Early October - anything special about that time of year that I'd be better off knowing now?

Parking at Black Sands - fairly safe? Vehicle would be there 4-5 days.

Sinkyone - time permitting, we'd like to explore the southern section for a day or two. I've heard Usal is a zoo, and we'd already be in the Shelter Cove area anyway. I was thinking a quick out-and-back from Needle Rock or Bear Harbor might be the ticket, but I just made that up, so any ideas for a day or two's exploring in Sinkyone would be cool.

Other than that, thanks for all the help. This is my first post, but I've already gleaned a ton of info from you all, so thanks - hope to give some back.

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: Lost Coast Trail on 09/21/2012 19:10:51 MDT Print View

Welcome to the forums.

Gaiters. If you have them handy then take them. If not, don't. I have not worn them on my majority of hikes out there. I wear the 330s and do just fine.

October is a great month in Humboldt though your chance of bad weather increases with every week as it goes along. Rains have been starting around Halloween

Never say never, but I have had no problems at Black Sands parking nor has anyone else I know first hand. Last time I left my vehicle unlocked(forgot)for three days. All was fine.

Sinkyone, sorry have not been.

Edited by kthompson on 09/21/2012 19:11:33 MDT.

James McBryan
(jamesprepatrip) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
I'm goin there soon on 09/24/2012 09:56:04 MDT Print View

I'm actually headed to the Lost Coast this weekend.

RE Gaiters: If you're hiking on the beach, I don't see why would need them. If you're hiking on land, they may be useful because of the amount of ticks and poision oak out over there. I am not sure how overgrown the mountainous trails are but I'll let you know next week.

RE Parking: You always park at your own risk. Shelter Cove is populated and isn't ritsy Beverly Hills or anything, so whatever you have might be desirable.

Good luck!

Patrick Speckman

Locale: santa cruz mountains
Thanks on 09/25/2012 09:46:46 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.
James - have a great trip, and yes, any info you want to pass along after your trip would be cool.
Thanks again.