Forum Index » Gear Lists » Badlands gearlist, help wanted

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Post trip on 10/22/2012 14:04:49 MDT Print View

So, we did our trip and had a great time.

Highs were probably around mid 60's and lows were probably around 25 F, 30 F, 55 F on the respective nights. There was some wind, but not strong, I'm guessing about 15 mph max.

I didn't miss anything, we had all the gear/clothing we needed.

The only thing not used was the rain gear, but, given the chance of rain(it did rain briefly one night), and the low temps, I would not leave that behind.

I could also have left my windshirt behind, as I only used on the bike very briefly, and then in camp. In camp I could have used my rainjacket instead. I am not sure though if I will leave it behind for a similar trip in future. If it had been slightly colder or windier, I would have worn it while active, and I do not like to wear my rain gear for that if it's dry.

With our down gear over our base-layer shirts, and covered by windshells, we were comfortable on the coldest night and morning sitting in camp and we could adapt to different conditions while active as well.

We were comfortably warm wearing our down clothing inside our quilts on the coldest night (25F and damp), yet not overheating on the hot and dry last night. For me this is a big benefit of a quilt and of using high loft clothing as part of your sleep system.

The tent was great, I know it can handle any wind(though we didn't have much). It is much bigger than we needed for the two of us, but I don't want to buy another shelter for the rare occasions like this.