(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 18:55:37 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 19:32:56 MDT Print View

More on the...

Solo Plus

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52949&skip_to_post=451469

Shangri La 1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11956

Stratospire 1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51435

SoLong 6

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56739

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2012/lightheart-gear-solong6/

Nemo Meta 1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm09_nemo_meta.html

Edited by kthompson on 09/18/2012 23:06:42 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 19:41:44 MDT Print View

The Stratosphire 1 is a very nice shelter and very stable in strong winds.
The inner tent would definitley be tight for 2 but the fly sheet by itself would be fine.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 20:45:47 MDT Print View

Maybe it would be best to change the title to a backpacker magazine style review of five solo + tents. Sorry I have been trying real hard to lay off negative comments here but this will not help me pick a new shelter much if at all. BPL stagnation! :(

Edited by mtmnmark on 09/18/2012 22:03:07 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 20:57:32 MDT Print View

I was expecting individual field reports. Are those forthcoming?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 21:06:06 MDT Print View

Is that a fescue or bluegrass species?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 21:22:32 MDT Print View

What year is the Buick?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 21:38:46 MDT Print View

What were the other 3+ shelters that you could have included? Why omit mentioning them?

Do you water that lawn to keep it that green?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 21:39:49 MDT Print View

A couple of points...

The SS1 can be erected and will stand up to ,fair weather without the extra guylimnes but yes it does work much better with.
Look ma, no hands
A big advantage is that you can fully open all 4 door panels if you want with the guylines in place.
Certanly not a double but you can fit two 20" mats side by side IF you drop the inner so that it sits flat (almost no bathtub) side to side .
SS1 two mats
For full bathtub you connect the mitten hook from the inner to the apex ring. To get extra width you connect the mitten hook to the elastic ribbon, for my set up I added a slightly longer ribbon so that it could stay flat without having weights on the mat.
So maybe spooning is not required and since the two sides are reversed it would be in fact slightly better to sleep top and tail.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 21:46:56 MDT Print View

Buicks?
Green lawns?

What am I missing here?

Sounds like I need to renew. I can only imagine...

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 21:47:08 MDT Print View

I don't have to add the additional guy lines on my Notch to tighten the ridgeline. Franco, is this simpy because of the offset geometry of the SS1 and it's greater width / footprint?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 21:54:16 MDT Print View

Craig the links give you all the same info, but no pictures of Chris' yard or vehicles. It looks nice though.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Solo plus tent SOTMR on 09/18/2012 21:54:45 MDT Print View

Here is some hints on how to pitch the Nemo for more room. You may need a car, however. Buick will work:

http://nemoadventureanywhere.blogspot.ca/2012/09/meta-1p-pitch-hints.html

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 21:55:51 MDT Print View

Chris mentioned that several other tents that met the criteria were not available for review. It would have been good had he listed them so we could look for reviews of those elsewhere. Of course if the manufacturers don't want to make them available for testing, maybe they don't want to sell us any? Or maybe they have decided that BPL reviews don't mean much any more? (I'm just asking the question, not trying to imply anything one way or another.)

I was unhappy at the lack of field testing. Nearly all the information in this article, except a few subjective impressions, can be found by compiling information from the manufacturers' websites. What inquiring minds want to know is how well these shelters hold up in really nasty weather! Simply pitching them all on the same lawn just before a Rocky Mountain thunderstorm hit would have allowed a reasonable comparison of weather resistance. I don't know where Chris lives, but if there are no lively thunderstorms there, presumably someone at BPL headquarters in Bozeman (Maia?) has a lawn that could have been used for this simple test. Of course I realize that it has been a dry summer in the Rockies and the Midwest. The lovely Maia could also have tested how well these shelters hold up with a larger dog as one of the inhabitants. In the absence of thunderstorms, a few neighborhood kids could have been enlisted to run through the guylines and the tents could have been tested with a hose for an hour or so.

I don't happen to be in the market for a shelter, so for me these shortcomings are no big deal. I have two (IMHO) "ideal" shelters (neither covered by this article) for my dog and me, and I have only to decide which one to keep and which to sell. For those actively seeking a "1.5 person" tent that will hold a cuddling couple or adult plus child or (as in my case) adult plus faithful hound or just a big and tall adult who wants plenty of room to stretch out, though, this article is not much help.

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/18/2012 22:17:17 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 22:05:39 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by kthompson on 09/19/2012 21:32:11 MDT.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Well... on 09/18/2012 22:20:45 MDT Print View

Edited.

Thank you Chris, for the effort you put into the article. I would have preferred more rigorous and in-depth testing, but my problem lies with BPL and not you individually.

Edited by aaronufl on 09/19/2012 20:00:45 MDT.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
Re: Well... on 09/18/2012 22:38:20 MDT Print View

I would have to agree. I'm a new member, still figuring out UL and what works for me, and I was really hoping for something more substantial. I'm going to purchase a new solo shelter this fall/winter and thought this report might help me on my path (given it was hyped a bit too -- wasn't there supposed to be a bit of controversy? maybe some findings that went against the grain of conventional thought?). I appreciate the work, but there's just not much info here, no real world experiences with the shelters. What are their strengths? Their weaknesses? What happens when pushed to the limit? Back to the forums and community with my questions, which are a real treasure.

Edited by mediauras on 09/19/2012 22:11:14 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 22:55:46 MDT Print View

David
You are correct that the Notch stands up very well without the extra guylines* , however the SS 1and 2 work better with and are tricky (OK, not for me...) to set up without.
The SSs were designed to have those guylines so that you can open up the sides , the Notch is going that way by popular demand.

* If having problems with this , make sure that the base of the pitch lock corner is parallel with the other (like rail crossties/sleepers) and that you don't pull the fly taut long wise as you would when setting up the Moment with the pole in place.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 23:09:05 MDT Print View

What we are use to.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sotmr_single_wall_tents_2008.html

Edited by kthompson on 09/19/2012 21:33:01 MDT.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report on 09/18/2012 23:10:47 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by wandering_bob on 09/18/2012 23:11:57 MDT.