I'll definitely check that site out Jack. I think I agree that Plasti-dip is probably a good spray on candidate. It wouldn't affect the components and can be easily removed if necessary. Heating up of the whole assembly isn't a concern, but localized component overheating can cause degradation and short life (inductor), so I don't think I'll go that route personally. I think a bit of silicone based dielectric grease (like you use on spark plugs and bulbs) is all I'll use to keep corrosion down. That way I'll always have access to the components and allow heat to 'get out'.
I remember etching boards from scratch :) and then adding jumpers when your mask didn't quite hold and you got a questionable trace! This board came out better than I expected, and most of the credit is due to the quality pads and soldermask. This was really fun and useful project for me. I learned tons and have something I can take with me on all my long excursions, so thanks for all the inputs and help.
Here's the first board! Lovingly called my E-Lite Gear (pronouced EE light). Works like a charm on both .5A and 1A mode.
I had a little issue with the momentary 'test switch' being a intermittent just after I cleaned the board, but it's must have just had a little cleaner or oxidation on the contacts, cause it's working great now. Actually I had a short-lived gulp when I plugged it in because I forgot that the same circuit that protects it from oscillation in low light, also delays the turn on for about 12 seconds as the cap charges up. Green is good, and this is no exception to the rule!
I'm going to do some more testing this week to make sure everything as expected and then I'll start putting the rest of the board together. I'll get in touch with those who've asked for one in the order they made the request as I get them done!
Next step, (forget all this talk of sprays and sealants) I'll design a snap together case for it, and have it 3D printed! A friend of mine just has something done in stereolithography and it's SWEET! so I figure all this effort should culminate in an awesome little case with the extra .2 oz I have :) Not sure I can get it done before my Nov trip, but I can try...