Forum Index » Chaff » New Tv show "Revolution" on NBC contradictions and some spoilers

Display Avatars Sort By:
Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
New Tv show "Revolution" on NBC contradictions and some spoilers on 09/18/2012 11:30:16 MDT Print View

I was watching the first episode of Revolution a post apocalyptic world after a world wide solar flare or man made EMP attack aka:electromagnetic pulse knocks out out the electricity world wide sending the world in to the dark ages with out electricity. The after math cars stopping in the road, Power grid down ,Passenger jets falling out of the sky. No electricity after 15 years.

EMP from what I learned in the air force when we studied nuclear weapons in munition training school is a after affect of the explosion and knocks out silicon chip based technology not older transistors or tubes.

The russians war airplanes were heavy because they used older transistors and tubes instead of silicon based chips in their planes.So the russian planes would still be flying.

We have EMP generator weapons that knock out a small power gird every modern computer chipped machine that is running. But no loss of life or damage.

Show contradictions:
The hero of the story is driving a a early 1970 muscle car it would not be taken out. Thats why older cars especially Volkswagens are high in demand with survivalist.

The TV shows a world 15 years later after the apocalypse they have normal sunlight to grow plants and animals their is a man teaching kids a lesson why the electricity is gone.

A lie after the EMP/solar flare batteries would not be affected hydro,wind solar power plants would not be affected once they go back to old way of collecting energy. Till they get back on line.

Truth a person can get a old 1970's and older 12 volt Volkswagen alternators, wire, lights, and put paddle wheel on it near stream for personal 12 volt electricity generation station. It could also be made into a wind mill. Volkswagen generators are what you want to use because you can replace the brushes simply.

The Militias use swords for weapons, cross bows, muskets, I saw one modern pistol firearm on the high ranking officer who used to sell insurance before the apocalypse. A lie bullets would not be affect or modern guns, simple explosives the military would be in control. Older planes ,jeeps ,tanks, would still be running also once they pulled them out the bone yard.

Old car collectors would still be driving around especially the collector of diesel fuel vehicles who could run bio-fuel. Old Steam power engine trains could be up and running again easily. Sail boats would be in high demand also.

Also The hero becomes a bootlegger is able to distill alcohol that can be used as fuel, Besides for drinking purposes he sells in his bar.

At the very end of the show a lady sneaks up in to her attic with a small amulet neckless when she push a button on the amulet it generates enough electricity to power a computer. If their is someone with technology to make a energy producing amulet they would be a hero and very rich.
I think we all would love to have one to add to my backpacking equipment.

The show is a laugh riot of contradictions. I think the show will get canceled or become another show like"LOST" and people get caught up in the post apocalyptic world mumbo jumbo fantasy and believe the what the writers are showing us.

What do you think if you watched the show? Being backpackers we learn outdoor skills for fun and also for survival if something like this happens so it should be interesting to see what you write.

Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 09/18/2012 11:34:08 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: New Tv show "Revolution" on NBC contradictions and some spoilers on 09/18/2012 11:35:51 MDT Print View

Maybe we should go out hiking?

The guy with the gun used to be a distributor of Meth : )

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Re: New Tv show "Revolution" on NBC contradictions and some spoilers on 09/18/2012 12:12:58 MDT Print View

Didn't he get blown up? :)

I take it for what it is...entertainment. So many films/shows today have many inconsistencies, I just ignore them.

Harald Hope
(hhope)

Locale: East Bay
bad but details aren't right on 09/18/2012 12:43:22 MDT Print View

Terry, that I will admit with some pain was a bad show. Not bad as in I watched it and then after it was over noted it was bad, but bad as in watching it for 10 minutes then turning it off bad. I've pretty much totally given up on hollywood type broadcasting companies, to do a show like that requires at least some effort to be critical of the actual causes of collapse/failure, and commercial mainstream tv just is not going to do that in general.

However, I believe you got the premise slightly wrong, not sure, and I certainly won't go back to watch it to confirm or deny it, it's on hulu.com if anyone wants to see, but I believe the event that broke all the electrical systems was largely unknown as to cause, as you note, not an EM pulse, but something. Now I could have gotten it wrong, or they could have gotten more specific later in the show, but there's no way I would watch more of it.

There's a better show called Jeremiah on hulu.com about post disaster life, it's reasonably believable, and doesn't violate its premises too badly, although it's certainly not a great show by any means, but it is somewhat consistent, bad people continue to be bad, power continues to corrupt, and efforts to do things right don't always have great outcomes. And they get the machines running again.

But this show is bad, typically bad hollywood lack of imagination and risk taking bad. Unwatchably bad. Better to go out for a night hike in the rain, bad.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: bad but details aren't right on 09/18/2012 12:49:42 MDT Print View

Or you can watch The Road and have nightmares (the book is better).

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: New Tv show "Revolution" on NBC contradictions and some spoilers on 09/18/2012 12:55:26 MDT Print View

Fraught with contradictions to be sure but it was at least somewhat entertaining. I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite canceled shows, Jericho, and how Revolution appears to be just an an adaptation of that show.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Agenda on 09/18/2012 12:57:42 MDT Print View

Insurance guy = gun owner? Coincidence? No… Agenda? yes Didn't see the show but the left has made me paranoid, so I had to jump in. :-)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
bad but details aren't right on 09/19/2012 09:11:13 MDT Print View

Harald,

I agree with you it is a very bad show I will never watch it again, Last night NBC was bragging that 15 million tuned in. I only watched because a show I like was replaced by the CMA awards on.

With the jets falling out of the sky and cars shutting down and other machines and home appliances.

From what I could think their was only 2 things that could happen to create a worldwide black out and shut down of everything. A solar flare producing a big enough EMP pulse to make this happen and lot of top solar scientist say it possible in the future. I watch a NOVA program about it.

The other thing is this show is setback in 1999 and it about the world scare of the Y2K bug that never happened. Had everybody and companies and governments scared in to spending billion of dollars so the Y2K bug would not happen.

The only thing I did find funny in the show was the conversion of sliced in half new Volkswagen beetle being used as horse drawn carriage, Toyota Prius as planter box.

Terry