November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
A desert crossing
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Castleberry
Todd Carmichael's Death Valley Cart Experience on 09/24/2012 15:47:01 MDT Print View

Todd Carmichael thought he had a great cart for crossing death valley in 2010 but he was plagued by tire problems.
Todd Carmichael Death Valley Crossing

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Write-up afterwards? on 09/24/2012 17:49:02 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I have no useful tidbits for Alastair, but wanted the rest of you to know what a rockstar writer he is. His two books about crossing the world by bicycle: That is the best travel/adventure writing I have ever read, and that is saying something (it's my favorite genre). You do not have to be a cyclist to be riveted by Alastair's unembellished descriptions of the cultures/countries encountered.

Alastair - any plans to write a book on your desert crossing? In any case - it would be riveting if you would post on BPL about your progress from time to time along the way :)

I can see it now...a handcart subforum on BPL?

- Elizabeth

alastair humphreys
(alastairhumphreys) - MLife

Locale: UK
thanks Elizabeth on 09/25/2012 02:46:03 MDT Print View

Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for your very kind words!

I am going to film this trip (more shudders of horror from the BPL community about the weight of camera gear I will carry! ;-0 ) and will write it up for my blog (
This is actually the third in a series of trips this year all exploring the feeling of remote wilderness expanses unchanged by man: rowing the Atlantic, ski trekking on the Greenland ice cap, and now this one.
I'm not sure yet if they merit a book. We'll have to wait and see....

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: A desert crossing on 08/25/2013 15:40:09 MDT Print View

Y'all remember this thread?

Appears that Alastair survived to tell about it: The Empty Quarter Expedition

Soon as I saw the title I thought of Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands ... sure enough, he opens with a Thesiger quote.

alastair humphreys

Backpacking Heavy... on 08/27/2013 03:26:34 MDT Print View

Ha! Thanks for that, Jim - yes I did survive!

You guys will be mortified at my 300kg cart, THREE cameras, and not to mention the mattresses we ended up with (
But it was a wonderful adventure. And thank you to everyone here, as always, for your knowledge and advice.

alastair humphreys

Video of the trip on 11/09/2015 09:30:27 MST Print View

In case anyone stumbles upon this old thread - here is the film I made from the trip. Thanks for your advice everyone - you'll see in the film I heeded none of it! ;-)

Heath Poulter
(hpoulter) - M

Locale: Southwest
Re on 11/09/2015 14:17:47 MST Print View

Very cool, I will have to watch the whole video once I am home tonight. I love it!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Video of the trip on 11/09/2015 17:25:42 MST Print View

Nice film!

I've fancied myself a Thesiger fan for a long time ... but haven't been tempted to replicate his travels:-)

This obit tells a lot about his life:
Here's a short documentary:

Richard May

Locale: Swamplands.
Re: Video of the trip on 11/10/2015 07:14:00 MST Print View

Nice video! And what an adventure. I agree, meeting people is the best way to get to know a place.