A desert crossing
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Todd Carmichael's Death Valley Cart Experience on 09/24/2012 15:47:01 MDT Print View

Todd Carmichael thought he had a great cart for crossing death valley in 2010 but he was plagued by tire problems.
Todd Carmichael Death Valley Crossing

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Write-up afterwards? on 09/24/2012 17:49:02 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I have no useful tidbits for Alastair, but wanted the rest of you to know what a rockstar writer he is. His two books about crossing the world by bicycle: That is the best travel/adventure writing I have ever read, and that is saying something (it's my favorite genre). You do not have to be a cyclist to be riveted by Alastair's unembellished descriptions of the cultures/countries encountered.

Alastair - any plans to write a book on your desert crossing? In any case - it would be riveting if you would post on BPL about your progress from time to time along the way :)

I can see it now...a handcart subforum on BPL?

- Elizabeth

alastair humphreys
(alastairhumphreys) - MLife

Locale: UK
thanks Elizabeth on 09/25/2012 02:46:03 MDT Print View

Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for your very kind words!

I am going to film this trip (more shudders of horror from the BPL community about the weight of camera gear I will carry! ;-0 ) and will write it up for my blog (www.alastairhumphreys.com)
This is actually the third in a series of trips this year all exploring the feeling of remote wilderness expanses unchanged by man: rowing the Atlantic, ski trekking on the Greenland ice cap, and now this one.
I'm not sure yet if they merit a book. We'll have to wait and see....

al

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: A desert crossing on 08/25/2013 15:40:09 MDT Print View

Y'all remember this thread?

Appears that Alastair survived to tell about it: The Empty Quarter Expedition

Soon as I saw the title I thought of Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands ... sure enough, he opens with a Thesiger quote.

alastair humphreys
(alastairhumphreys) - MLife

Locale: UK
Backpacking Heavy... on 08/27/2013 03:26:34 MDT Print View

Ha! Thanks for that, Jim - yes I did survive!

You guys will be mortified at my 300kg cart, THREE cameras, and not to mention the mattresses we ended up with (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alastairhumphreys/8380797691/in/set-72157632490844529).
But it was a wonderful adventure. And thank you to everyone here, as always, for your knowledge and advice.
Alastair