I am about to walk 1000 miles across a desert with a friend and would like to make my own shelter for this.
I am not just taking a tent for a few reasons:
- it needs to be very easy to erect in the day to rest from the midday sun
- a tent does not allow breeze through it so is too hot at midday
- we will be hot, sweaty and tired: we don't want a small, cramped, annoying tent
- as well as having 4 trekking poles, we will be towing a cart like this so I don't think we will need poles at all: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150091251713500&set=a.10150091251448500.274802.126749063499&type=3&theater
I am completely useless at designing anything like this (and have certainly never made anything like this!) so I hope I can throw it out to you guys, the experts, to ask for a few ideas about making something, in terms of design and materials.
A couple more points that will be useful:
- although it will often act as a tarp, I would like to be able to close 1, 2, or all 4 sides. (for sandstorms, and because it is a bit cold at night)
- tent pegs will not work. Instead we can use 20litre jerry cans or piles of sand/gravel on a valence.
I have posted a couple of things on BPL before and have always been amazed at the knowledge and enthusiasm, so I thank you in advance!