Forum Index » Chaff » Bookstores and Backpacking Books

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Bookstores and Backpacking Books on 09/17/2012 15:13:17 MDT Print View

In the now-defunct Borders and in Barnes and Noble bookstores, it seemed that the section with backpacking books contained mostly survival manuals, as if just venturing a toe's length outside the city would immediately put you into a survival situation.

I'm sure that anyone who was considering getting into hiking and backpacking for the first time would wonder just what they were thinking of getting themselves into. LOL

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Bookstores and Backpacking Books on 09/17/2012 20:28:13 MDT Print View

I don't know about Barnes and Noble but on Amazon I did a search on Hiking ( I limited it to electronic books) and got 1600 hits and the first page didn't have any survival books.

Sean Staplin
(mtnrat) - MLife

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies
Re books on 09/18/2012 18:22:37 MDT Print View

People don't use books for introductory information anymore. They use the net.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: Bookstores and Backpacking Books on 09/18/2012 19:35:41 MDT Print View

There is a lot of good books on Kindle and the handy thing is you can download a sample first.

If folk do not a kindle they can download the app on a Pc, mac, android or apple mobile device.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Bookstores and Backpacking Books on 10/01/2012 10:30:32 MDT Print View

The only backpacking books I have been able to find in main stream brick and mortar book stores and most public libraries is "The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher, Backpacker magazine,Outside magazine. That's why brick and mortar backpacking shop are important because they have books on the subject

In the year of the information age on the internet most action sport books by the time they get published the information in them is old news.

It sad to say the internet boards, blogs and stories are a living breathing constantly changing source for the most recent news or subjects about light weight backpacking.
Terry