Forum Index » GEAR » Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades

Display Avatars Sort By:
Alexander Yablonskiy
(Sedoj) - F
Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 01:35:33 MDT Print View

Total collapse of ASOLO FSN 95

Many customers reported reliability problem connected with the wear of the sole in FSN 95. However, my case is just shockingly bizarre - during the 1st day of the trekking in French Alps the sole of the left boot started to degrade in the heel area and next morning the whole sole totally collapsed. During the day the right boot also collapsed, so I had to descend almost barefoot in emergency conditions. I tried to address this problem (total physical degradation of the both soles within 2 days of trekking) to Asolo, but my detailed report (with attached quality photos of the problematic areas) was unanswered, which means that the customer support in the company is just absent!

I am shocked by the company inability to react as much as by the quality of the boots (the piece of extreme sport goods, which we expect to be extremely reliable, as we put our security and even life on the bet when we are in the mountains)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 09:02:33 MDT Print View

I thought I was the only one this happened to I had two pairs of Asolo boots self distruct.

The first on was their popular mid weight brown boot I was backpacking at Joshua tree national forest and the temperature was only 85 degrees, The sole of the boot the glue soften while hiking and it started flapping like a dog tongue and sand was getting in the soft glue. I chucked the boots in the garbage can and wore my flip flops for the drive home.

The second boot to bite the dust was a $250.00 pair of the Asolo expedition boots with the pulley eyelets. I stored them in dry place for about a year put them on in my house and the mid sole completely crumbled to dust.
I switched to Lowa and Vasque boots after that i was done with Asolo boots.
Terry

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
no problems with the older boots but... on 09/17/2012 10:21:08 MDT Print View

sorry to hear that. I have had a pair of expedition boots for years that I hardly use anymore after I learned to use lighter boots but that pair of boots were pretty indestructable. sorry to hear that they have lost their way.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 12:10:44 MDT Print View

My brother had it happen a couple of years ago and then this year a friend had it happen. Both were during hiking trips. I have also seen comments about this on the REI web site and others. It would appear that the sole is not properly being glued together. It probably can be repaired with contact cement or possibly hot melt glue.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 12:15:53 MDT Print View

Barge Cement used to be the standard glue to hold together boot soles.

Sometimes a user will have boots like that get wet. Then they dry the boots with some heat. Get a little too much heat, and the whole thing degrades. With some boots, it almost seems like the sealers degrade from water and heat.

I'm sure that some boot factory lets its process slip once in a while.

I would just change brands and chalk it up to Lessons Learned.

--B.G.--

Eddy Walker
(Ewker) - M

Locale: southeast
Re: Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 13:32:45 MDT Print View

I have been wearing Asolo boots for over 15 yrs and I have never had that problem on any on them.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 14:32:33 MDT Print View

Holy Blowout!

Are these newer boots? My wife, nor I, have ever had probs with Asolo. But ours are older.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Re:Asolo sole degrades on 09/17/2012 14:59:12 MDT Print View

I bought my Asolo boots back in the 80s, have used them so much and they show almost no wear. They've held up fantastically.

It's sad to see so many formerly good quality product manufacturers going the way of "cheap labor in poor countries". They may save on labor costs but if their products fall apart, who is going to buy them? How will that save them money? They will end up going out of business.

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
Not limited to Asolo, I'm sure... on 09/17/2012 15:30:25 MDT Print View

I don't own any Asolos...but...I had the same thing happen to a pair of Berghaus GTX lows I picked up in the UK...granted, they were about 10 years old.

They gave up the ghost while hiking from the GC North Rim this summer. It was a hot day and the trail is rather sandy. I flapped my way back to the top (day hike), flipping sand the whole way...not fun.

One of these days I'm going to attempt to barge cement them for the heck of it...

-Mark in St. Louis

Alexander Yablonskiy
(Sedoj) - F
Re: Re: Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 16:42:07 MDT Print View

To: Eddy Walker

That's why I was so shocked and caught unawared! I was 100% sure in the quality of such brand as Asolo. Even more surprised and humiliated was I when I reported the problem to the company and was accused in falsification of the evidences (((. What's the world coming to ...

Edited by Sedoj on 09/17/2012 16:43:05 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Re: Caution!!! ASOLO sole degrades on 09/17/2012 21:35:31 MDT Print View

Even more surprised and humiliated was I when I reported the problem to the company and was accused in falsification of the evidences

thats why i buy from mec/rei/backcountry, etc ... or from manufacturers known for their no questions asked warranties ...

Edited by bearbreeder on 09/17/2012 21:36:09 MDT.