Forum Index » GEAR » Survey of lightweight one-person shelters?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Must have floor on 09/16/2012 17:03:35 MDT Print View

@Tom

So heavier by 4 oz with the lightest pegs but with fewer features like the outer pitch first of the fly (where the inner goes up with the outer in one complete motion), the dual doors and dual vestibules, and the option of a partial solid inner. Apart being the equivalent of a fart lighter, there are no benefits over the Notch.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Survey of lightweight one-person shelters? on 09/16/2012 17:39:40 MDT Print View

Fart lighter

I use a Mini Bic, how does it compare with mine ?
Does Methane work better than Butane when high ?

Should I be standing-by for that report or should I sit down?

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
Survey of lightweight one-person shelters? on 09/16/2012 17:55:14 MDT Print View

>> So heavier by 4 oz with the lightest pegs but with fewer features like the outer pitch first of the fly (where the inner goes up with the outer in one complete motion), the dual doors and dual vestibules, and the option of a partial solid inner. Apart being the equivalent of a fart lighter, there are no benefits over the Notch. <<

One feature that was not mentioned and should have been, is that the Notch uses two trekking poles for setup. This yields an incredible amount overhead space that the GC won't have with a single pole setup. It's one of my pet peeves with the tent manufacturers... they should show the cross-cut end dimensions on their drawings of their tents, not just the area of the floor. I have used single pole setups before and there is not much overhead space. I don't own a Notch but it is on my "to purchase" list.

d c
(dc) - M
Notch on 09/16/2012 18:05:14 MDT Print View

"the Notch uses two trekking poles for setup. This yields an incredible amount overhead space"

That's a good point. I'm 6' and felt I had plenty of room. Could fully sit-up with no issue. The 2 poles also gives more stability. The Notch is very tight when set-up, all with only 4 stakes.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Survey of lightweight one-person shelters? on 09/16/2012 19:12:50 MDT Print View

Franco, it is similar to the Mini Bic but it also shoots out a spritz of Axe Body Spray. Efficient but a bit pricey.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Re: 4-poles with Skyscape Tents on 09/16/2012 20:19:17 MDT Print View

@the other jack Elliot ... No. You CAN use four poles and an optional "porch" they sell to create an awning on either side to sit under outside of the tent. I have never tried this, but I have and use the optional CF poles that are 1.8 oz. each. So I could set up this way with only 2 trekking poles.

Dale Whitton
(dwhitton) - M

Locale: Sydney
Notch in the Dust on 09/17/2012 02:40:49 MDT Print View

Here are some pics of the Notch in outback Australia with a healthy dose of dust.Notch in the outbackGetting dusty

...and sharing a campsite with a Stratospire IIOutback Tarptent Convention

The semi solid inner kept the dust out pretty well, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for this sort of environment.

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Notch in the Dust on 09/17/2012 08:31:54 MDT Print View

Dale,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Have you experienced high winds with the Notch? Any other comments you (or other Notch users) can provide would be of interest.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Low overhead? on 09/17/2012 08:43:05 MDT Print View

> hexamid... Entryway looks mighty low.

it is. if I was going to switch from the hexamid to something else, this would likely be what drives me to it. entry hasn't been a problem, but it seems like I have yet to exit without rubbing against the top of the doorway. No fun when it's covered in dew or wet from rain.

--Mark

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA
Truth be told on 09/17/2012 09:41:25 MDT Print View

(Killing time here, waiting for the report to come out on Wednesday.)

To tell the truth, I resent having to sleep under/inside any shelter. I started backpacking in the early '70s in SoCal and did most of my hiking there. The weather tends to be mild, the chance of rain low outside the rainy ("mudslide") season so I almost always was able to sleep under the stars.

The climate here in Central Oregon is more changeable, goes through much wider temperature swings; without warning it can switch from a calm, clear evening to an early-morning shower of rain. This happened to me on the second night of my recent seven-nighter in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, and thar I wuz, awakened by the spatter of raindrops on my down bag, getting up and banging up my Paratarp in the middle of the night, muttering.

Wind, below-freezing temps, unpredictable precipitation all resulted in my sleeping under the tarp from that night on.

I missed laying in bed, watching the stars on those moonless nights. The little sliver of sky I could see in the shelter opening showed the most spectacular skies I've ever seen.

I need the tent equivalent of Wonder Woman's silly invisible airplane.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
re on 09/17/2012 10:00:47 MDT Print View

What some people do to see the stars is to sleep in the bug-netting inner tent, with the outer "rain fly" tarp setting next to it.
This allows seeing the stars on a clear night.

If it begins to rain, they go out and quickly put up the rain fly.
It can often be done in a minute or so.

It might not be a perfect solution, but it's what other people do.

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Win some, lose some on 09/17/2012 10:04:03 MDT Print View

Tom, it's probably what I'll end up doing, too. As you say, it's not perfect: looking through mesh ain't as good as looking through clear, dry 8,000 ft. elevation air, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Win some, lose some on 09/17/2012 11:37:07 MDT Print View

You don't need mesh most of the time in Oregon.

Mosquitoes just after the snow melts, then those obnoxious black flies. Rest of the time not a problem.

If conditions are marginal, set up tent, then undo it setting it aside so you can quickly put it back up.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
One other option. on 09/17/2012 14:11:20 MDT Print View

Jack,
I just thought about the Lightheart Solo as a possibility.
It has a very open format for the bug inner, and has what they call "stargazing mode" with the rain flaps open.
I thought perhaps it might be of interest.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Night Critters on 09/17/2012 14:24:49 MDT Print View

Hey, thanks Tom -- another option.

I like that "Poles are inside the tent to protect them from the elements and night critters that like to chew on them."

My poles are aluminum, nylon, and closed-cell foam. One wonders what kind of critter would find that recipe tasty.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Night Critters on 09/17/2012 14:32:25 MDT Print View

It's the salt on your pole handles that they're after, Jack.

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Handsalt on 09/17/2012 14:49:38 MDT Print View

Never had a critter-nibbled handle on a trekking pole before. Maybe my handsalt tastes "funny."

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Survey of lightweight one-person shelters? on 09/17/2012 15:27:03 MDT Print View

Don't think the MLD Cricket has been mentioned yet. I have seen a picture of a Hexamid with a full zip to make for easier entry and exit.

Good Notch review here http://www.nielsenbrownoutdoors.com/2012/09/reflections-on-use-of-tarptent-notch-in.html. The call for guylines seems to be growing:).

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Cricket and Notch review on 09/17/2012 15:47:45 MDT Print View

Thanks, Jason,

The MLD Cricket doesn't look to be substantially different than my Kifaru Paratarp, and I said I am looking for something with a floor.

Thanks for the link to the Notch review. Barring anything revolutionary in Wednesday's upcoming BPL survey of solo+ shelters, the Notch is the leading candidate for my next shelter.

Dale Whitton
(dwhitton) - M

Locale: Sydney
Notch in the wind on 09/17/2012 16:13:48 MDT Print View

@ Diana - the weather has behaved itself so far around my Notch so no useful information for you !