Forum Index » GEAR » what's the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh?

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
what's the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh? on 09/15/2012 18:19:26 MDT Print View

Hi guys,

I have a tent that when I was choosing my tent site I didn't check properly and a stick punctured my no-see-em mesh. I was very lucky as the stick just missed my air mattress and this happened on the first night of our weekend!

Anyway, what materials do you use and what glue or method?

Thank you.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: what's the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh? on 09/15/2012 18:43:17 MDT Print View

Can you sew it back together or do you need to add a patch? Sewing either way will yield satisfactory results.

John Ebner
(JEbner) - M

Locale: Big Thicket
mesh fix on 09/15/2012 19:30:40 MDT Print View

I have a lab that loves to bring me sticks....even when I'm sleeping. Size doesn't matter to her and on more than one occasion she's decided to try to bring me a branch. As a result I've gotten a couple of small tears in my mesh. It's a pretty easy fix. I just neatly sew it up and then cover the thread and a little of the mesh (on both sides, inside and outside) with either silnet or just plain silicone and let it dry. I've found that without the silicone that if you pull on the netting in the area of the repair (testing the stitch) the netting can separate. If repaired this way it will be stronger than the netting itself.

Here's an example:

repair

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
awesome on 09/15/2012 22:54:11 MDT Print View

Thanks guys that's good start for me :)

Jeremy Platt
(jeremy089786) - F

Locale: Sydney
Tape on 09/16/2012 02:21:27 MDT Print View

Hi Mik,

A Kea ripped my tent apart while in NZ and I used some cuben tape in my repair kit. It is still going super strong with no sign of coming off. A good fix if you don't like sewing.

All the best,

Jeremy.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: what's the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh? on 09/16/2012 09:30:56 MDT Print View

I've used adhesive backed ripstop repair tape with good success. I put a 1" wide piece over a rip in my nylon windbreaker and it has held well for many months. Windbreaker has gone through the washer and dryer several times too.

Adhesive backed insignia cloth seems to work as well.

I wish adhesive backed mosquito netting was available. That would be perfect.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: what's the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh? on 09/16/2012 10:53:36 MDT Print View

Here's another alternative. I haven't used the product.

here