Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/28/2012 16:43:19 MDT Print View

Hey Jhuara - Did you extinguish the esbit between each swap or did you just dump, refill and waste a little of the burn?

Thanks.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/28/2012 16:54:38 MDT Print View

@regultr Good q. No extinguish. I just grab the top of the pot, pour half the water in one ziplock and half in the other. Make sure ziplocks don't spill. Put pot back on stove, pour in 5-6 oz more water from bottle, put lid back on.

I prepared all my ziplocks by opening them and had them placed next to each other to speed the process up. Also of note, is that if your windscreen is snug without too much gap, the flame doesn't heat the top of the pot too much, so I can grab the top rim bare fingered. YMMV.

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
Looks great. on 09/29/2012 19:52:10 MDT Print View

I'm not really ready to jump on the Caldera Cone system due to size but this looks like a nice compromise to use esbit with. I would like to use it with my Back Country 700 ml pot though, any chance it will fit that as well?

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 11/01/2012 16:48:35 MDT Print View

Hi all, the updated stoves are in and the Ti Cook System is available for purchase again. Thank you all for the input and feedback.

Here is a picture of the new stove and details:

The updated stove is a standard ti-wing stove, which has been modified to fit our 550 mL cookpot; to provide a stable snug fit when sitting the loaded cookpot on the stove. A small modification with a big upside, you will really like how stable it makes your cookpot. The modification is the 1/4” half-moon concave that you see on the upper tip of each wing, just inside of the point. In Image #2 above, you can see how it nests very snug on the wings. This will not affect the stoves usage with other cookpots which are narrower or wider, but simply adds a form-fitted adjustment for our 550 mL cookpot. If you already own a ti-wing stove, you can DYI this modification with a rotary tool, though it is quite arduous due to the hardness of the alloy.

LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Video Demonstration of Lite Trail Solid Fuel Cook Kit on 11/20/2012 09:19:48 MST Print View

Link to Video
Thanks,
James

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: Video Demonstration of Lite Trail Solid Fuel Cook Kit on 11/20/2012 10:35:19 MST Print View

Hi James and Becky, thank you greatly for your awesome video! It's so great to see couples enjoying the outdoors together and using LiteTrail goodies.

Regarding the fuel soot getting on the bag, we recommend that users put the ground protector in the stuff sack first, then the cook pot. This way the soot does not dirty the stuff sack, also the GP won't contaminate the inside of the cook pot if packed this way.

Happy Holidays,

Jhaura

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Video Demonstration of Lite Trail Solid Fuel Cook Kit on 11/20/2012 11:52:41 MST Print View

Nice video!!

I'm sure your wife meant to say that the ground protector protects the ground from the flames and heat scorching the ground and not to protect the ground from the esbit gunk. One of those fun impromptu mis-spoken things that makes making videos all the much more fun to make and watch!! Cannot begin to think how much time I have spent redoing sections of videos to correct those kind of things. Sometimes it is just better to let it go and move on, eh!!

Love the huge oven gloves being used to pick up the pot heheeh. Totally got me laughing (not at you, but laughing because it was fun to see)... the more went from using larger pots to smaller pots and eventually down to a 26 gram cook setup (that was done in pure fun intents and never intended for the trail) the more I realized not having a pot handles suuuucks. The more I do long distance hiking the more I have come to found pleasure in cooking food inside of my pot. Having handles on the pot makes a huge difference when trying to stir food. Would be crazy hard for me to go back to a pot without handles.

In regards to the tips above by Jhaura, one of the best tips of all times that I could offer for working with esbit is: before you put water in your pot and put it on the stove... turn the pot over and apply four or five drops of DR Bronner soap and rub it around the bottom of the pot. This will make it a bazillion times easier to rinse the pot off after you get done boiling your water. Just put a few drops of your hot water onto whatever towel you are carrying (or your scrubbrush or dirth or whatever) and than the soot and esbit gunk will come off waaaaay easier. I carry a little 3mL dropper bottom filled with Dr B's. It holds exactly 99 drops of the soap and the dropper itself is only 1.9 grams or so. I just throw it right into my cook pot. Makes it nice for cleaning the pot itself (if you cook it it) and for cleaning the bottom of the pot and for washing your hands if you so feel like it -- all without having to get into your personal ditty bag to dig out your soap in there. One 3mL dropper of Dr B's lasts around 20 or so days, or ten days if you boil twice a day.

-Abela

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Tips on 11/20/2012 12:45:49 MST Print View

Jhaura and John,
Both very insightful tips. Store the ground protector on the bottom of the pot inside the stuff sack to keep things cleaner, and the use of Dr. B's to aid clean up afterword. Thanks to you both for your input.

John, I'm glad you found the huge oven mitts amusing. That was kind of the intention, they aren't exactly SUL right!?! And sometimes no matter how many times to try to say things properly it'll come out garbled or incorrect. It is the fun of making these videos (especially when that someone is your spouse!).
Thanks,
James