Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/14/2012 23:49:06 MDT Print View

The LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System is here! A full featured sub-3 oz cook kit to rule them all.

Features a 550 mL (18.5 oz) short and wide cookpot, titanium solid fuel stove, titanium windscreen and ground protector and cuben fiber stuff sack. Nests fully in cook pot for storage.

LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System

LiteTrail Titanium Windscreen

BPL Members receive 10% off, use code: BPL100915

(Valid 9/14-9/15).

Happy Trails!

JW

Edited by jhaura on 09/14/2012 23:53:29 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 10:48:09 MDT Print View

Looking pretty sweet Jhaura!

Is the windscreen tacked at both ends or is there a connector system? If there is, would like to see a photo of how it connects together.

No handles on the pot + a high wind screen. Thus going to be very hard to pick up by hand if the pot is full. Thus need to factor in additional weight for a pot grabber, probably taking the true total weight of this setup closer to 4 ounces. (at least for those who are not willing to wait for things to cool down, or if you are using the first half of your 14g esbit cube and want to save the rest for the next meal)

No tray on the wing stand. Exactly how easy/hard it is to get a used half-piece of esbit to stay on top of the stand where the tray usually sits? Or, what about for those of us who use the 4gram esbits rather than the 14 gram esbits? Without the tray, can they fit on there and stay on there while in use?

Why the cord and the loop on the sack? It looks like the sack is tape bonded along the seam lines for the cord, so anybody who did want to hang it could just use the cord. (btw, very nice to see a stuff sack that is tape bonded!) (also btw, very nice to see somebody out there making stuff sacks for cooking systems with a true round bottom!)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 11:25:59 MDT Print View

Any field testing been done with this set up or are you just winging it? I don't get how it will work without a fuel tray.

sorry, had to pun.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 11:37:22 MDT Print View

lol. good one ken.

See, this is what happens when you get a bunch of SoCal guys that move to Humboldt County ;)

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 11:56:44 MDT Print View

Hi @JohnAbela! Thanks for the comments.

1. Windscreen uses a single paperclip (included). Because the windscreen is so short, only one is needed. We didn't tack it because there is some extra length in it to offer some gap adjustment.

2. Potholder: Because the windscreen is short, there is plenty of room to grab the upper half of the pot with a bandana or Lightload towel. So adding an addtl oz for potholder would maybe apply if you don't already carry one of the before mentioned items.

3. I've used this stove for the last 5 years and it works fine without the bowl. Just plop the tab up on the center of the stove and let it come to rest where it may. The ground protector will do its thing on the bottom. The 4 g ones are the same, just sit it in there. The Esbits burn just fine whether they are sitting horizontal or resting diagonally.

4. Cordloop is for hanging closer than you could when the string is pulled tight. The weight is miniscule and it can easily be cut off. It's 3/8" grosgrain, not webbing. Stuff sack is all sewn, but very small seams and super clean. Thank you for recognizing that round bottom stuff sacks rock!

Hi @kthompson. Haha, good pun indeed! I've been using it like this for 5 years and it works fine. See comment #3 above. The fuel tab burns, the water boils and it is within range of other solid fuel holders.

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. Keep it coming :-)

Here's a couple untouched up images that show a little more about the windscreen for John:

k

h

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 12:11:28 MDT Print View

Awesome little cook kit you've put together Jhaura!

I have the old BPL ti wing stove and a BPL Trappers mug that I pair with a foil windscreen. Mine isn't as integrated as your LiteTrail kit, but it does the job.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 12:45:49 MDT Print View

very nice is the ground protector attached to the stove or separate?

me likey :)

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 13:56:26 MDT Print View

@Eugeneius thank you for the comment. Yes it's very integrated. I wanted to make a complete solution that a new ULer (who didn't have time to MYOG their own) could just grab and go.

@mtwarden the ground protector is a separate piece of ti foil. Because the stove folds up, the gp needs to be separate.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/15/2012 14:35:59 MDT Print View

I agree with Ken. The missing fuel tray is a big flaw.

I've tried to use one that had a missing fuel tray, and it is unacceptable. How do you stand an Esbit tab up vertically? Please answer that. If your answer is that you never use an Esbit tab vertically, that tells something.

If you produce another kit with the Esbit burner with a fuel tray on it, then it might be worthy of purchase. Not before.

--B.G.--

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 13:14:17 MDT Print View

@--B.G.--,

Thank you for taking a look at our cook system.

I'm sure you would agree that fact trumps personal opinion? And the fact is that in the absence of the tray the water boils, just like it does with a tray. It doesn't matter if the fuel tab is neatly horizontal for the purpose of the stove to be accomplished -- which is to simply boil water (within general specs of grams of fuel and ounces of water).

The ground protector contains any liquid-goo that may arise during burn and provides a support for the bottom of the tab.

I don't stand the fuel tab up vertically, but simply "lean to" it resting on the center of the stand; been doing it like that for 5 years with no problem. That's fact too. I suppose a video of side by side comparison would be useful. I'm leaving Tuesday for the JMT for 5 days and will put something up when I get back.

We can offer the kit with a tray'ed option very easily and may do so if many users want that option. However, it is "worthy of purchase" just like it is. We know that not everyone will want what we offer.

I appreciate your input and value your comments, I'd like to hear what you like about it too.

Best,

Jhaura

BTW: What about the absence of the fuel tray did you find "unacceptable" with the one you tried?

Edited by jhaura on 09/16/2012 13:29:09 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 14:02:40 MDT Print View

I don't see how the absence of a miniscule tab tray would noticeably impact stove use or esbit performance. I've propped my mug on small rocks and used esbit to do small coffee boils with no ill effects. Would you believe it or not the water boiled despite not using a tray! ;-)

Oh, the things we can get caught up on here sometimes.

I have some local friends that are figuring out how to reduce kit size and weight for short bikepack trips, this kit is exactly the kind of thing I would recommend to them without having to send them to different sources to find a pot, windscreen material, stove, etc. Whatever gets you out the door and onto the trail simply and with minimal effort and investment is a good thing.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 14:19:39 MDT Print View

Esbit is messy enough. I like the tray to contain and burn off that little bit that liquifies. Plus the tray is such a tiny percentage of the kits overall weight, I'd rather have it. Can just plop a used tablet in the tray and not have to try and lean or balance it on anything, If it is easy to use I am more inclined to use it.

You could leave off the cord lock and the grossgrain tab IMO.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Great kit// Bob Gross Soap Box on 09/16/2012 18:58:35 MDT Print View

This kit looks nice. It is odd that there is no tray but it if works then why not save the weight? :D

Bob Gross... You are way too pessimistic. I've wanted to say this for quite some time. You come into peoples posts, have some kind of subjective opinion, and you talk down to people. Who are you? You're not even a member (yes I know you once were and stopped because of "spam" that I have never received). Why should we all think your opinion matters when you share this snotty, pompous, "I've done it all and you're wrong" attitude? I'm not trying to say that I'm perfect but at least I don't come smash every persons idea and tell them that it is basically not worth buying. I know you wrote UL articles back in the 80's but please do us all a favor and keep them to yourself... I'm sure they are quite depressing.

--D.R.--

EDIT: Please PM if you would like to discuss my above post. I would like to avoid hi-jacking the sellers thread if possible.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 09/16/2012 21:35:01 MDT.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 on 09/16/2012 20:27:56 MDT Print View

Hey Daniel: I've got no dog in this fight. I use a canister and wind screen.

I read B.G's post and frankly I think that you're overreacting. Moreover, I've often found good and solid info in B.G.'s posts.

Internet postings are inherently weird: they lack the usual cues that enrich face-to-face encounters that allow us to recognize humor, sarcasm, empathy, encouragement etc. Most of all, we can't instantly go back and clarify our meaning. In a bad mood I sometimes insult a co-worker, but try to make it good instantly in a real world encounter once I see I've gone wrong. On the internet our words stand without cues and sometimes come off badly.

Edited by book on 09/16/2012 20:46:19 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
can you on 09/16/2012 20:45:24 MDT Print View

I'd like to see this in alcohol, I imagine you could do it right?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: can you on 09/16/2012 20:56:10 MDT Print View

You could throw a little "Cat Can" stove in there and have the option of esbit or alcohol. The Traildesigns stove is also a good little alcohol burner.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
cheers on 09/16/2012 21:53:01 MDT Print View

Cheers to the cottage industry -- cool cook kit and product.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 22:09:04 MDT Print View

"BTW: What about the absence of the fuel tray did you find "unacceptable" with the one you tried?"

One Esbit burner had lost its fuel tray, and I tried to use it. Trying to set up a partial Esbit cube for burning was impossible, because a partial cube tends to be rather rounded. Trying to set an new Esbit cube into vertical position is also impossible. Sometimes, if you have something serious to heat, you can use two cubes vertically. However, I can't see how that would work at all without the fuel tray.

So, eventually I discarded the broken Esbit burner and got a new one just like it with its fuel tray intact, and that is what I continue to use.

I think we are in agreement that it is possible to use one without a fuel tray. My point is that a complete one is better than an incomplete one.

I have a close friend that travels some very long European trails, so I had initially thought of purchasing your product for the friend. Then, after I stared at the photo long enough and I read Ken's remarks, I realized what was there. If I still bought your kit for my friend, I would get it, then pitch the incomplete Esbit burner out and substitute a complete one, then give it. I think the complete ones cost about $15, so I don't know what the incomplete ones go for.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 22:14:02 MDT Print View

"I like the tray to contain and burn off that little bit that liquifies. Plus the tray is such a tiny percentage of the kits overall weight, I'd rather have it."

I agree. In fact, I lay a tiny piece of aluminum foil inside the fuel tray as a liner. Some brands of Esbit cubes melt faster and leave behind a black sticky mess, and the aluminum foil just keeps it cleaner. Some brands of Esbit burn cleaner. Some people have not experienced all of the Esbit brands. Try the pink ones some time.

--B.G.--

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 22:55:58 MDT Print View

Great, thank you all for the feedback and comments.

We will offer it both ways at no additional cost. I'll order some tray version ones asap and then update the site with that option, so you can choose which one is best for yourself.

Best,

Jhaura

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/16/2012 23:02:12 MDT Print View

Cool. I'll keep my eyes open.

Luke Khuu
(ninhsavestheday)
Wind screen on 09/17/2012 05:38:50 MDT Print View

Will you sell the wind acreen seperately?

Nick G
(HermesUL) - F
Is it possible to buy these items separately? on 09/17/2012 06:09:41 MDT Print View

I've already got an Esbit titanium stove, so I don't want to repurchase it. I'm interested in getting some of these items separately, depending on the cost.

The nesting feature is a huge plus--what if there were a couple metal tabs (or an elastic string) that clipped the lid onto the cook pot, eliminating the need for a stuff sack? That might add simplicity and ease of use without sacrificing weight. And what about a small towel for wiping the residue off the pot bottom? You could add a tiny piece of UL towel cloth and still easily be below 3 oz.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
stuff sack on 09/17/2012 06:36:08 MDT Print View

my little pot gets filthy burning Esbit (and wood), the stuff sack would be nice to keep that way from your other gear

I'm assuming the little cuben stuff sack would be up to double duty for a rock bag during food hanging?

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/17/2012 15:47:41 MDT Print View

Waiting on trayed stoves to come in, for now, here is each item listed separately:

550 mL Titanium Cookpot with Lid

Titanium Foil Windscreen

Cuben Fiber Stuff Sack, Round Bottom

Best,

JW

Edited by jhaura on 09/17/2012 15:58:42 MDT.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/17/2012 16:12:16 MDT Print View

Hey, I'm excited to see the parts listed separately. The windscreen is tempting. But what are its dimensions (can't be the 16" height listed...).

Thx.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/17/2012 16:15:19 MDT Print View

Just a typo on the W x H, updated to L x H so 16" long, 2.84" tall.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/17/2012 16:17:29 MDT Print View

Ah, I see, got it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Typo on 09/17/2012 19:13:10 MDT Print View

Just noticed a typo on the pot description page. It says this 2 oz pot rather than this 2 cup pot.

I really like the look of this set up. How durable is the pot compared to say a walmart grease pot or the zelph beer can pots. I made my own beer can pot and found even with renforcement would get crushed easily. The walmart grease pot is sturdy enough to survive in my pack.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/17/2012 23:48:55 MDT Print View

BG: if I still bought your kit for my friend, I would get it, then pitch the incomplete Esbit burner out and substitute a complete one, then give it. I think the complete ones cost about $15, so I don't know what the incomplete ones go for.

I would have to agree with Bob on this one.

There have been a few UL/SUL hikers that have written articles this year about testing different esbit stoves and most of them have discovered that there can be some significant differences in the efficiency of esbit cubes based upon the pan that the esbit tablet sits in. The account by Brian Green being one of the more interesting trials of different designs. All of the reports I have read so far seem to indicate that there is some significant efficiency in using trays with esbits. My own testing has confirmed this when I have tried using different stoves, and at times not using any stoves at all and just putting the tablets onto a piece of Ti on the ground.

The tried-and-true esbit wing stove still seems to be one of the top-dogs out there. Same one that bpl sold for awhile.

Anyway...

Jhaura stated: We will offer it both ways at no additional cost. I'll order some tray version ones asap and then update the site with that option, so you can choose which one is best for yourself.

Very good to hear!

As somebody who uses the 4gram esbits, it just seems like trying to get them to balance on the stove/stand without the try would be annoying after awhile.

Michael Moore
(lilricky) - F
Good looking system but.... on 09/18/2012 07:15:44 MDT Print View

The only concern I would have is where the Esbit sits. As you know, Esbit leaves some residue after burning, after repeated burnings I would be concerned that the pivot point where the Esbit sits would clog, being difficult or impossible to fold it up. How many Esbit tabs have you used on a single system, and was there any difficulty folding up the stove?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Good looking system but.... on 09/18/2012 12:54:07 MDT Print View

In the old, old, old days, these wing stoves were made out of steel. The pivot point pin would rust out and then the fuel tray would fall off and the whole thing fell apart. Obviously that had to do with steel, and titanium does not rust. Things could get clogged unless the tray is present.

It would be fun to see somebody come up with a multiple purpose for a wing stove. I guess it could be a back-scratcher or a cook pot scraper.

--B.G.--

Jon Fong
(jonfong57)

Locale: www.flatcatgear.com
Clogged Pivot points on 09/18/2012 13:38:00 MDT Print View

Just looking at the design, it looks like it would also work upsidedown. If that were true, if the joints get crusty, you could potentialy flip it over on your next boil to burn off the gunk. Sounds like a simple test to me. My 2 cents - Jon

BTW, --B.G.-- it looks like it could also double as a Kindle, iPhone or small book stand.

Edited by jonfong57 on 09/18/2012 13:39:58 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Clogged Pivot points on 09/18/2012 13:49:29 MDT Print View

"it looks like it could also double as a Kindle, iPhone or small book stand."

I've never taken any of those things on a backpacking trip. We are thinking, though.

OBTW, if you get a wing stove and manage to drop the pivot pin, you can use a piece of paper clip as a substitute. A metal screw would be better.

--B.G.--

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Why not... on 09/18/2012 13:50:47 MDT Print View

Why not put the ground-protection inside the stove, instead of on the ground?

eg, invert the center pin, make it a little longer ... the "height" of the ground protector. Punch a hole in the center of the ground protector, set on pin (which should end up flush) and then place your esbit container there?

If you don't care about the extra weight, use the solid plate (or aluminum-foil) under your pot (some loss here, be warned, and Al > Ti for this.) Place dirty-side to dirty-side for storage/transport.

-mox

Nick G
(HermesUL) - F
Multiple uses on 09/18/2012 14:14:48 MDT Print View

I tested the stove as an iPod touch holder, with mixed results. Capable of holding an iPod steady at 45 degrees or at 90 degrees, neither of which are my optimal viewing angles. Call it an "emergency iPod stand" for when my cast iron stand fails me in the back country and I don't want to have to give up my nightly viewing of "How I Met Your Mother".

The Esbit logo on the side of one of the legs serves as great reading material--next time I go backpacking, I'll leave my usual Dostoyevsky behind and read that instead. Since I always carry hardcovers, that's about a 72 oz savings right off the bat!

Haven't tried it as a potty trowel or tent stake, but it looks like it would serve. Worries would be about durability and screwing up your super-nice ultralight stove.

I'll leave it up to someone else to examine the stove's usability as a camp stool, eating utensil, toothpick, umbrella, sundial, and butter knife. Definitely has some potential as a true multi-use piece of equipment.

Seriously though, it would be super cool to see somebody come out with an Esbit stove as a function on a multi-tool. Heck, if I weren't worried about residue, I'd rig up my spork with a hardware cloth potstand and not bring a stove at all.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Esbit on 09/23/2012 23:23:31 MDT Print View

Im awaiting the update to see what the revised model willl look like. I agree that having a more stable, cleaner, heat reflective place is better.

Edit: people are claiming doubled burn times by having a sealed tray which contains everything. Read in the comments area.

http://www.briangreen.net/2011/09/i-really-want-to-like-esbit-tabs.html?m=1

Edited by M.L on 09/24/2012 00:04:00 MDT.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
fuel tray on 09/24/2012 11:33:16 MDT Print View

FWIW, I hiked with Jhaura this weekend. He used the Lite Trail esbit stove (without the little tray to hold the esbit tabs) for all of his cooking needs.

I can't comment on measured differences in efficiency between his stove and other variations of esbit stoves, but it seemed to work fine without the tray in our generally mild conditions. He had boils in reasonable timeframes (not significantly differnt from my caldera sidewinder with gramcracker stove) and one tab was plenty to heat up enough water for a soup, a dinner and a hot tea/cocoa.

I didn't witness any big mess from the esbit resulting from not having a tray, or issues balancing partial tabs on the stove itself.

It was pretty neat to see how small, light and easy it all packed up.

Anyway, I have no vested interest in this product, just thought I'd share my anecdotal observations from this weekend. I think with him offering both versions of the stove, folks have the choice to try either now.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Canister on 09/26/2012 11:59:50 MDT Print View

Curious is the pot included large enough to next a snow peak mini fuel canister?

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/28/2012 13:48:21 MDT Print View

QUICK UPDATE

The trayed version of the stove in being made right now, and has some neat design improvements over the typical trayed wing stove - including lower weight and custom fit for our 550 ml cookpot. It is still a traditional trayed wing stove though for those of you who prefer that. Just some minor tweaks for our kit.

Expected arrival date Nov 1.

If you have a stove already, or just want one part of the kit, you can order all the individual items separately on the shop homepage (Ultralight Backpacking Gear Store).

Oh and by the way, on my Sierras trip last weekend, I boiled enough water (21-22 oz.) with 1 tablet on the stove with NO TRAY to rehydrate 2 large meals in Ziplock Freezer bags and make 1 good size mug of hot chocolate. This consumed one whole 14g tablet.

The conditions were: Evening, light breeze, very cold freshly captured stream water, elevation 7600 feet.

From left to right: 5-6oz of hot choco, Black beans and rice 8oz water, Mashed Potatoes with dehy potato cubes 8 oz water:

boil

No Tray Stove: About to boil the first 16oz, then refill with 5-6 oz and boil again all with 1 14g cube:

stove

Edited by jhaura on 09/28/2012 14:36:39 MDT.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/28/2012 16:43:19 MDT Print View

Hey Jhuara - Did you extinguish the esbit between each swap or did you just dump, refill and waste a little of the burn?

Thanks.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 09/28/2012 16:54:38 MDT Print View

@regultr Good q. No extinguish. I just grab the top of the pot, pour half the water in one ziplock and half in the other. Make sure ziplocks don't spill. Put pot back on stove, pour in 5-6 oz more water from bottle, put lid back on.

I prepared all my ziplocks by opening them and had them placed next to each other to speed the process up. Also of note, is that if your windscreen is snug without too much gap, the flame doesn't heat the top of the pot too much, so I can grab the top rim bare fingered. YMMV.

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
Looks great. on 09/29/2012 19:52:10 MDT Print View

I'm not really ready to jump on the Caldera Cone system due to size but this looks like a nice compromise to use esbit with. I would like to use it with my Back Country 700 ml pot though, any chance it will fit that as well?

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: NEW: LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz on 11/01/2012 16:48:35 MDT Print View

Hi all, the updated stoves are in and the Ti Cook System is available for purchase again. Thank you all for the input and feedback.

Here is a picture of the new stove and details:

The updated stove is a standard ti-wing stove, which has been modified to fit our 550 mL cookpot; to provide a stable snug fit when sitting the loaded cookpot on the stove. A small modification with a big upside, you will really like how stable it makes your cookpot. The modification is the 1/4” half-moon concave that you see on the upper tip of each wing, just inside of the point. In Image #2 above, you can see how it nests very snug on the wings. This will not affect the stoves usage with other cookpots which are narrower or wider, but simply adds a form-fitted adjustment for our 550 mL cookpot. If you already own a ti-wing stove, you can DYI this modification with a rotary tool, though it is quite arduous due to the hardness of the alloy.

LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - sub-3 oz

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Video Demonstration of Lite Trail Solid Fuel Cook Kit on 11/20/2012 09:19:48 MST Print View

Link to Video
Thanks,
James

J W
(jhaura) - F

Re: Video Demonstration of Lite Trail Solid Fuel Cook Kit on 11/20/2012 10:35:19 MST Print View

Hi James and Becky, thank you greatly for your awesome video! It's so great to see couples enjoying the outdoors together and using LiteTrail goodies.

Regarding the fuel soot getting on the bag, we recommend that users put the ground protector in the stuff sack first, then the cook pot. This way the soot does not dirty the stuff sack, also the GP won't contaminate the inside of the cook pot if packed this way.

Happy Holidays,

Jhaura

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Video Demonstration of Lite Trail Solid Fuel Cook Kit on 11/20/2012 11:52:41 MST Print View

Nice video!!

I'm sure your wife meant to say that the ground protector protects the ground from the flames and heat scorching the ground and not to protect the ground from the esbit gunk. One of those fun impromptu mis-spoken things that makes making videos all the much more fun to make and watch!! Cannot begin to think how much time I have spent redoing sections of videos to correct those kind of things. Sometimes it is just better to let it go and move on, eh!!

Love the huge oven gloves being used to pick up the pot heheeh. Totally got me laughing (not at you, but laughing because it was fun to see)... the more went from using larger pots to smaller pots and eventually down to a 26 gram cook setup (that was done in pure fun intents and never intended for the trail) the more I realized not having a pot handles suuuucks. The more I do long distance hiking the more I have come to found pleasure in cooking food inside of my pot. Having handles on the pot makes a huge difference when trying to stir food. Would be crazy hard for me to go back to a pot without handles.

In regards to the tips above by Jhaura, one of the best tips of all times that I could offer for working with esbit is: before you put water in your pot and put it on the stove... turn the pot over and apply four or five drops of DR Bronner soap and rub it around the bottom of the pot. This will make it a bazillion times easier to rinse the pot off after you get done boiling your water. Just put a few drops of your hot water onto whatever towel you are carrying (or your scrubbrush or dirth or whatever) and than the soot and esbit gunk will come off waaaaay easier. I carry a little 3mL dropper bottom filled with Dr B's. It holds exactly 99 drops of the soap and the dropper itself is only 1.9 grams or so. I just throw it right into my cook pot. Makes it nice for cleaning the pot itself (if you cook it it) and for cleaning the bottom of the pot and for washing your hands if you so feel like it -- all without having to get into your personal ditty bag to dig out your soap in there. One 3mL dropper of Dr B's lasts around 20 or so days, or ten days if you boil twice a day.

-Abela

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Tips on 11/20/2012 12:45:49 MST Print View

Jhaura and John,
Both very insightful tips. Store the ground protector on the bottom of the pot inside the stuff sack to keep things cleaner, and the use of Dr. B's to aid clean up afterword. Thanks to you both for your input.

John, I'm glad you found the huge oven mitts amusing. That was kind of the intention, they aren't exactly SUL right!?! And sometimes no matter how many times to try to say things properly it'll come out garbled or incorrect. It is the fun of making these videos (especially when that someone is your spouse!).
Thanks,
James