Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck
Display Avatars Sort By:
Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck on 09/14/2012 13:59:42 MDT Print View

I made a new 30 liter ruck that weighs 25 ounces on the electronic post office scale at the post office with a Roll top closer that is able to extend 8 inches if you need more room. A tapered waterproof zippered front pocket like golite jam series of packs.

The pack is made out 420 ripstop fabric color slate from rocky wood is only $7.99 a yard. I have been experimenting with different fabrics for packs the 420 ripstop has a heavy polyurethane coating. I really like this fabric for being tough it's a great fabric for the MYOG person on budget who can't afford the real expensive advanced fabric and is not that heavy and you don't need to treat it with kid gloves like the lighter weight fabric packs.

I used 5/8 inch webbing pull down roll top and side compression and ITW/Nexus Jet series of hardware.I used the same Jandd Cloud 9 shoulder strap system I like to use on my packs.
Thanks for looking,
Terry

PS: I decided to add some ruff drawing of the patterns I used for this pack. I used a flexible ruler to dry the side profile.
The pattern for the Jam style pocket show what shape it needs to be to get the contoured shape the line trough the upper half you cut in half sew the zipper. At it wide point it is 15 inches wide and it also is 16 inches tall .
The side pocket pattern show how long and wide you need to make the fabric to make a folded side pocket that will accept a 1 liter water bottle or two 1 liter platys in each pocket. After you fold and sew the draw string for this pocket over it will be 13 inches tall. When sewing the side pocket to the side sew each side of the pocket fold in the pocket 2 inches in on each side . Then pin to the side panel and sew to pack sides, Then trim away excess fabric to the shape of the contoured pack side panel.

I made my pack 10,5 inches wide but you can decide the width you want your pack. I always use a 1/2 inch margin then for sewing then cut it down to 3/8 inch after i sew it to cut some weight off.
Have fun sewing,
Terry

Photos:
Front:
roll top front

Side:
rolltopside

Rockywoods 420 nylon ripstop fabric link:
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics/Ripstop-Packcloth-Nylon

Edited by socal-nomad on 09/23/2012 11:01:03 MDT.

Alex W
(AlexW89) - F
i like it on 09/21/2012 14:00:27 MDT Print View

looks really good :)

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck on 09/21/2012 14:09:58 MDT Print View

Thumbs up Terry, nice looking pack! I really like the jam style front pocket.

Kyle Grzelak
(BuckleUpItsGRIZ) - F
Pretty impressed. on 09/21/2012 22:17:50 MDT Print View

Looks great.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck on 09/22/2012 10:43:13 MDT Print View

Thank you very much guys for the Great complements. I had ordered the fabric a while ago just found it in my fabric pile. So I thought let make a new roll top pack project.
Thanks again,
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 09/22/2012 10:45:46 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck patterns on 09/23/2012 11:05:04 MDT Print View

I decided to add some ruff drawing of the patterns I used for this pack. I used a flexible ruler to dry the side profile.
The pattern for the Jam style pocket show what shape it needs to be to get the contoured shape the line trough the upper half you cut in half sew the zipper. At it wide point it is 15 inches wide and it also is 16 inches tall .

The side pocket pattern show how long and wide you need to make the fabric to make a folded side pocket that will accept a 1 liter water bottle or two 1 liter platys in each pocket. After you fold and sew the draw string for this pocket over it will be 13 inches tall. When sewing the side pocket to the side sew each side of the pocket fold in the pocket 2 inches in on each side . Then pin to the side panel and sew to pack sides, Then trim away excess fabric to the shape of the contoured pack side panel.

I made my pack 10,5 inches wide but you can decide the width you want your pack. I always use a 1/2 inch margin then for sewing then cut it down to 3/8 inch after i sew it to cut some weight off.
Have fun sewing,
Terry

Side pattern:
side pattern

Jam style pocket:
jam style pocket

Side pocket:
water bottle side pocket