Forum Index » GEAR » Modded HMG Windrider 3400

Display Avatars Sort By:
Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Re: Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 01/21/2013 06:13:55 MST Print View

Chris, if I understand what you're referring to right, that buckle is made for 3/4" webbing. It's the one on either side of the belt that lets you snug it against your back.

Thanks to Doug's idea, I had Mike do something similar on a 3400 Porter, except I had him shape the lumbar pad for the Granite Gear Crown hipbelt instead. It's also designed to find the Circiut/Ohm 2.0 hipbelt as well, but I haven't tried to fit it in since I don't have one anymore. I just wanted that option if I chose later.

FWIW, I've been pretty impressed with the Ice Pack belt that Mike sent with it. It's not as comfortable as the GG belt, and a couple ounces heavier, putting it about the same weight as the ULA belt. But it carries heavier loads (say +25 lbs.) better, so I see no reason yet to have the ULA around.

So far, I've been very pleased with the mod. Keep in mind that I've only taken it out a bit given the winter, but early test results are very positive.

Which Windrider do you have? The belt on my wife's 2400 Southwest is a lot less padded that the Porter models I've seen.

/*/Edited to fix webbing/buckle size/*/

Edited by GlacierRambler on 01/22/2013 17:44:53 MST.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 01/21/2013 12:02:22 MST Print View

2400 Windrider. It has the wrap around style hip belt, and it's sparse. Do you have any shots of your pack with the GG hip belt? I'd probably opt to go with a 3400 Porter this time around.

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 01/21/2013 12:04:55 MST.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

re: Porter Mod on 01/21/2013 22:28:17 MST Print View

I'll try to get them up for you some time tomorrow evening. Busy week for me at work.

FWIW, I think a 3400 Porter with the Ice Pack belt would be really nice. I can't say for sure, but I'd guess that that would still allow for the ULA belt. You'd have to get the measurements between the padded sections to see if it still would. If it's 10" or more, the ULA belt would fit. To fit a GG belt, the lumbar pad's shape definitely needs to be modified.

Personally, I wanted the full 10" at the top of the pad, the way HMG does it and the way GG did it on the Crown. I find that the extra length at the top (four more inches than the ULA Ohm 2.0) gives the hipbelt better purchase with the pack, facilitation load transfer and control. It helps keep the pack hugging your back without losing the wrap-around feature, and it spreads the load over a larger area.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll try to be more clear when I put up some pictures tomorrow.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 01/21/2013 22:36:16 MST.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Re: re: Porter Mod on 01/21/2013 22:46:17 MST Print View

Oh yeah--one more thing you'll need to deal with is the velcro issue. HMG and ULA have totally different systems. ULA has a vertical strip and HMG a horizontal one. With HMG, the hook side is underneath the lumbar pad, inside the pass-through section (i.e., the loop is on the back of the Ice Pack belt, facing toward the pack's backpanel). I can't remember which is where with the ULA. Even if they don't match up, I'm not sure it matters so long as you have the belt reasonably snug with its dedicated ladderlocks.

Just something else to think about. ULA owners, which side is the hook, and which is the loop on your belt?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

re: Lumbar Pad Pics on 01/22/2013 18:16:07 MST Print View

As promised.
hmg-lumbar-mod-1
Lumbar pad with no belt

hmg-lumbar-mod-2
Lumbar pad with Granite Gear belt

hmg-lumbar-mod-3
Lumbar pad with the HMG Ice Pack belt

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: re: Lumbar Pad Pics on 01/23/2013 18:27:18 MST Print View

Thanks for the pictures. Why did you have the ends of the lumber pad made at an angle?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Re: Re: re: Lumbar Pad Pics on 01/23/2013 20:16:01 MST Print View

Do you mean curve in to the bottom? That was necessary to fit the GG belt, the whole purpose of the mod in the first place.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
ice belt on 01/24/2013 06:18:30 MST Print View

Which carries the load better, the GG belt or the ice belt?

scree ride
(scree)
Interesting mod on 06/02/2013 20:13:04 MDT Print View

Any updated thoughts?