Forum Index » GEAR » Modded HMG Windrider 3400

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 09/14/2012 10:31:47 MDT Print View

Got some things I like about a variety of packs in one pack yesterday when my modded HMG Windrider 3400 came in the mail. Mike did a fantastic job of creating the pack I've wanted for a bit now. Mike and Justin were great to work with, as one would expect.

The mods: Mike made the lumbar pad pass-through so I can use any hipbelt I want. At my request he also made it narrower than normal by a few inches, so the hipbelt truly wraps around your hips. He also added velcro to the inside of the pass-through to help keep my hipbelt in place. I don't use internal bladders, so he removed the internal netting that would hold a bladder, and instead put in a small, internal zippered pocket for my wallet/keys/iPhone (like the one offered on the Ice Pack).

I'm pretty psyched to get this out on the trail, and will hopefully do so in a couple of weeks. Thanks Mike and HMG!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 09/14/2012 15:05:20 MDT Print View

Sounds great, Doug.

Post some pictures when you get a chance; always good to see new gear.

Are you heading back to Trinity Alps in a few weeks?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 09/14/2012 18:56:51 MDT Print View

Pics:

Looks like a standard Windrider from the front

.pack

The internal stash pocket

.pocket1

Internal pocket draped in the pack

.pocket2

Narrowed pass-through lumbar pad (the lumbar pad is generally around 9" wide, this one is 5 1/2 inches wide).

.lumbar pad1

Hipbelt in the pass-through lumbar pad

.lumbar pad2

Edited by idester on 09/14/2012 18:57:54 MDT.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 09/15/2012 16:21:00 MDT Print View

When I saw the pictures of the Windrider when they changed to a full wrap around hipbelt, I thought that's how it was originally attached, but it wasn't. My previous pack was a Circuit and after using my Windrider for a bit, the only thing I would change is having a ULA hipbelt on there. And now here's the option, tempting to get a new pack.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: HMG 3400 on 09/16/2012 09:48:06 MDT Print View

Looks like a great pack. Wonder how much weight the extra nylon and velcro add.

Is that an HMG belt? It looks enormous.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: re: HMG 3400 on 09/16/2012 09:58:54 MDT Print View

That is a ULA hipbelt, specifically one that ULA uses on the ULA Ohm 2.0.

I may be wrong, but pretty sure that's what Doug has passed through the lumbar pad.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: re: HMG 3400 on 09/16/2012 10:06:42 MDT Print View

"That is a ULA hipbelt, specifically one that ULA uses on the ULA Ohm 2.0"

And the Circuit as well, I think. But yes, it's the ULA hip belt, my favorite of all hipbelts. It's the main reason I asked Mike if he'd mod his pack for me, I wanted to use the ULA hipbelt.

One of my favorite bits of my SMD Starlite pack is a small zippered pocket at the top of the pack (on the SMD it's on the side, inside), so I wanted that as well if I was 'creating' my wish-list pack. When I saw it was offered on the Ice pack, I asked to have it included on this pack as well. So, thanks to Mike's willingness, I've got the pack material I wanted, with the hipbelt I wanted, with the included small pocket I wanted! I'm thrilled with the pack, and will be getting it out on the trail for its maiden voyage Sept. 22.

Edited by idester on 09/16/2012 10:18:26 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: re: HMG 3400 on 09/16/2012 10:17:02 MDT Print View

"Wonder how much weight the extra nylon and velcro add."

Whatever weight the velcro adds should easily be offset by the much narrower lumbar pad. The internal velcro strip is only about 2"x4" - smaller than the amount of lumbar pad removed, I think.

Not sure about what you mean about extra nylon - unless you're talking about the internal pocket. That's actually made out of the same cuben hybrid material the pack is made out of.

Russ Maynard
(russmay) - F

Locale: Central California
Will it hold a bear can? on 09/16/2012 10:32:33 MDT Print View

That looks like a great setup! The best of both worlds. I wonder how it would cary a bear can. It looks like it would carry one vertically, but how about horizontal?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Will it hold a bear can? on 09/16/2012 10:53:56 MDT Print View

Hi Russ,

The only bear can I have is the Bare Boxer Contender, and it'll hold that easily on its side. Not sure about anything else.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 09/16/2012 10:56:22 MDT Print View

Doug got a white pack to make himself look tan.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 09/16/2012 11:10:52 MDT Print View

"Doug got a white pack to make himself look tan."

True! Unfortunately, next to me, the pack looks tan. sigh.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: HMG 3400 on 09/16/2012 12:04:22 MDT Print View

"Not sure about what you mean about extra nylon..."

There'd have to be another layer of fabric behind the 3D mesh, you can't sew velcro straight to mesh (or it would be a very bad idea, and induce a lot of stretch into the anchoring of the belt).

The belt looks interesting. My own recent experiments have me thinking that given good design (shape, lots of surface area), padding on a hipbelt is superfluous for loads under 30-35 pounds.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: re: HMG 3400 on 09/18/2012 16:36:11 MDT Print View

"There'd have to be another layer of fabric behind the 3D mesh, you can't sew velcro straight to mesh (or it would be a very bad idea, and induce a lot of stretch into the anchoring of the belt)."

Ah. Didn't realize you were talking about the belt setup. Actually, the lumbar pad is pretty robust by UL standards. It's not just nylon or mesh and nylon, there's some padding in there as well. Not a lot, mind you. Mike would have to tell you exactly what the pad is made of. But more robust than you're thinking.

"padding on a hipbelt is superfluous for loads under 30-35 pounds."

We'll agree to disagree. ;-) My aging hip bones like a bit o' padding. Ah, you youngsters......

Edited by idester on 09/18/2012 16:37:38 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: re: HMG 3400 on 09/18/2012 17:27:35 MDT Print View

"padding on a hipbelt is superfluous for loads under 30-35 pounds."

That is a reasonably obtuse comment. I was going to say dumb but I didn't want to offend.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 01/11/2013 23:58:53 MST Print View

Do any trips with the pack yet? Thinking of following suit and getting the same mod done. I just find the stock hipbelt lacking on my Windrider.

Russ Maynard
(russmay) - F

Locale: Central California
Mod? on 01/12/2013 06:37:33 MST Print View

So, What is the final weight of this pack?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Mod? on 01/12/2013 08:29:10 MST Print View

"So, What is the final weight of this pack?"

No idea. I don't have an easy way to weigh it.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 01/12/2013 08:33:49 MST Print View

"Do any trips with the pack yet? Thinking of following suit and getting the same mod done. I just find the stock hipbelt lacking on my Windrider."

I have. It carries great, is very comfortable, performed exactly like I hoped it would.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Re: Re: Re: Modded HMG Windrider 3400 on 01/20/2013 22:35:46 MST Print View

On the Circuit hipbelt, there's a strap that goes from near the back of the hipbelt to the pack, to pull the pack closer to your back. Is that strap still useable? Basically like this: http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/31/image/336/

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 01/20/2013 22:38:13 MST.