Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » unltralite knife

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik)

Locale: Allways on the move
UL Knives on 08/02/2013 07:31:18 MDT Print View

I have the 17.1g Gerber;

knife

And the 14.1g key/credit card knife. Although not a 'lockout' knife it is fold up blade with a tiny swivel lock so the blade will not pop out;

knife

knife

For a usable steel blade of that size I am very happy with the 14.1g (.5 ounce)

Edited by mikmik on 08/03/2013 17:32:41 MDT.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: UL Knives on 08/02/2013 12:12:58 MDT Print View

Ruta Locura Ti knife

Edited by spelt on 08/02/2013 12:15:27 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: ultralite knife on 08/02/2013 18:05:25 MDT Print View

What job? I use a knife for food prep, basic repairs, trimming line and basic fire-building, like making fuzz sticks for tinder.

I recommend the Victorinox Little Vickie. They are cheap, light, and they come with a good sheath so you wont shred your pack. $10 is a gift in the knife world. I prefer a bit more knife, but I could get by with the Vickie. It will attack a block of cheese or an apple with no problems :)

http://www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knife

Little Vickie utility knife

Sara Marchetti
(smarchet) - MLife
Re: UL Knives on 08/22/2013 15:38:07 MDT Print View

Like many I begrudgingly carry the Swiss Army Classic. I say begrudgingly because I don't want to have to carry any extra weight. Beyond the obvious simple cutting (the only steady use I get for mine while backpacking is cutting dental floss) most UL knives will easily break when trying to do anything beyond cutting open your food packages (sarcasm). If I had any desire to carry a knife, I'd go big or go home. Full tang. Something you can baton wood with. Like a Mora Craftsman or SOG Seal Pup. Two great knives for people who like knives! But alas, there will be no batoning for me.

Matthew Steiger
(txlur) - F
full tang on 08/26/2013 12:20:40 MDT Print View

Mora knives are not full tang. Even the "robust" models are only 3/4th tang. That being said, I'd bet they are plenty tough for batoning. I own a few, but have never reached for them for that purpose.

Matthew Steiger
(txlur) - F
woodswalker on 08/26/2013 12:32:10 MDT Print View

No one, I think, has mentioned the AG Russel 'woodswalker' option, a sort of kitchen/paring knife rework that seems like it would be suitable, at 1.2oz, aus8, not too big but with a real handle. I'd say more, but I don't have one yet. Weight is sans sheath.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: full tang on 08/27/2013 10:26:28 MDT Print View

Tang length really doesn't mean much in a knife with the weight and dimensions of a Mora. I have cut the plastic handle off a Mora blade and it wasn't at all easy. I'm confident that any abuse that might loosen a molded plastic handle would break the blade first. They are fantastic knives for the cost and weight.

I see batoning as a lesser attribute of a knife, with the primary functions being to cut and slice. What you can do and should do with a knife might be very different things. IMHO, batoning is a make-do survival technique and you could end up breaking your very useful tool in a bad situation. I've watched video of Bear Grylls bashing on his knife with a rock, which really made me wince. If you are going to be splitting firewood on a regular basis you should get a tool up to the job. But then, you shouldn't be hiking and splitting firewood anyway!

The bottom line is to get off the pioneer-mountain-man nipple and start living in the 21st Century, using brains rather than big chunks of iron and leather to live outdoors.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: woodswalker on 08/27/2013 10:37:51 MDT Print View

I had a Woodswalker and it is pretty much a paring knife with a nice wood handle. The sheath options are probably more of a selling point than the knife itself. You could walk into any kitchen store and come out with a dozen similar knives, but getting a light knife with a light sheath is the challenge and the AG Russel Wooodswalker with the Kydex sheath option is the way to go. If you aren't going to carry it on your person, the Little Vickie will do the same jobs for less weight and cost.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: UL Knives on 08/27/2013 13:44:02 MDT Print View

Spelt gave a link to the most expensive knife ever Ruta Locura Ti knife :-) I liked the design so I ebayed and got a deal on these 2 plus sheath:

ebay is good

Edited by zelph on 08/27/2013 13:45:40 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: UL Knives on 08/27/2013 14:17:13 MDT Print View

I wanted an ultralightweight knife to do just a few backpacker tasks, to open food packages, to cut some duct tape or athletic tape, and to cut an Esbit fuel tablet. So, I made one out of a tiny piece of thin sheet aluminum. The edge is sharp enough, and then I punched holes along the edge to make it serrated. Final weight: 2 grams.

--B.G.--

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
SUL Knives on 08/27/2013 14:54:23 MDT Print View

>"So, I made one out of a tiny piece of thin sheet aluminum."

Then Bob bonded it to his front teeth like the Jaws character in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, so it doesn't even count as pack weight.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: SUL Knives on 08/27/2013 16:26:47 MDT Print View

You may not address me as Richard Kiel.

--B.G.--

Graeme Esarey
(graemee) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: full tang on 08/28/2013 12:42:15 MDT Print View

Thought I would jump in. Full disclosure I work for Industrial Revolution, and we are the U.S. Distributor for Mora. Most folks don't actually buy directly through us as we are the importer, and sell to other distributors and retailers, but we get to see and use most every kind of Mora that comes into the country, so it's a fun job.

Back to Mora knives: even the small, lighter ones, like our fireknife (with Swedish Firesteel in the handle) are fine for batoning. Bigger knives like the Bushcraft and the Robust are more survival than anything. I have seen people cut down trees up to 8" in diameter with one.

These knives aren't what I would call ultralight (fireknife is 3.4oz incl. firesteel) but they are super functional. As far as an "ultralight" fixed blade from Mora, I like the Eric Frost 120. It is roughly 2 oz., full sized handle, laminated steel blade (wickedly sharp, designed for woodcarving) and a true pleasure to use. Again, not as light as something like the Baledeo, but I don't know of a better knife for the $/oz.

Just my 2 cents, sorry for jumping in!

Edited by graemee on 08/28/2013 12:59:17 MDT.

Matthew Steiger
(txlur) - F
Re: Re: full tang on 08/28/2013 16:46:54 MDT Print View

Ah, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with Mora or their tang length or batonability, just that they aren't full.

Tell those Swedish magicians to bring back my 510. Gave my only one away :)

Graeme Esarey
(graemee) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: full tang on 08/28/2013 16:51:07 MDT Print View

The 511 and 546 are still around. You can always grind the finger guard off if you don't need it! (I'll tell them though.)

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
D&D Models on 12/11/2013 20:05:35 MST Print View

The homemade sharp thing made out of a pencil with a blade attached - I can't escape the suspicion that this thing was borrowed - that this was originally some kind of DIY pole weapon on one of your D&D figures. At least it looks the part. Just a totally Chaffish observation.

Edited by millonas on 12/11/2013 20:06:18 MST.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
knifes on 12/11/2013 20:27:16 MST Print View

some people envision cutting cheese (not farting, children)
some people envision cutting wood.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: full tang on 12/11/2013 20:31:15 MST Print View

I think moras are fine for batoning as long as you resharpen it and give it a slight microbevel or convexity. Those super flat scandi grinds like to fold and chip on you easily.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
BG GERBER MININ FOLDER on 12/15/2013 16:16:26 MST Print View

Mik Matra's Gerber is only a wee bit smaller than my Bear Grylls Gerber folder.

I added a lanyard to keep from losing it.

Both Mik's and mine have no metal handle liner, just polymer, and that keeps the weight down a lot.

Edited by Danepacker on 12/15/2013 16:18:09 MST.

Patrick Baker
(f1prb22) - M
Daniel Fairley on 01/10/2014 14:27:20 MST Print View

I went with one from a custom knife maker: http://danielfairlyknives.tictail.com/product/titanium-backpacker-heat-colored-finish