John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Ultralight Knife on 09/21/2012 19:19:46 MDT Print View

knife is 1.2 oz and sheath is 0.3 oz

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: ultralite knife on 09/21/2012 19:48:32 MDT Print View

The smallest knife you could baton safely with would be a small neck knife like the esee izula or the blind horse knives tiger knapp. They are one solid piece of metal. Or the small red handled moras (not as strong, but longer blade).

If you really think that a decent sized knife has absolutely no place in ultralight backpacking except for emergency situations, then your knowledge of wilderness skills must be pretty shallow. I'm not saying that it's necessary, but just because you don't see any uses for it doesn't mean that uses don't exist for someone who carries different gear and camps in a different way than you.

Andrew Weldon
(hypnolobster)
Re: Re: Re: ultralite knife on 09/21/2012 19:52:23 MDT Print View

Well, it's certainly odd to be talking about knives large enough to baton wood in the SUL/XUL subforum.

Though I suppose it would be very ultralight to carry an 8oz knife and just forego a shelter, bag and cook system and just huddle up next to a fire?

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
ultralite knife in XUL on 09/22/2012 08:05:34 MDT Print View

:) I think that's the interesting part to this thread: for the SUL/XUL packer, what knives are working? By definition (to me, at least) the SUL/XUL afficionado has things pared down to the bare minimums in terms of weight and utility -- the least necessary for the reduced list of tasks they've designed into their gear/personal capacity.

A full-tang, 50-gram-plus knife probably isn't on too many lists, even for those with deep insight to wilderness skills, if they're carrying backpacks made of fairy wings and perforated dental floss. The prison-quality slash blade above seems to me like a pretty darn XUL blade, and I would personally expect that practicioners of the dark art aren't planning to baton wood.

I did just pick up that AG Russell, 2" ti-framed folder, also noted above. Ha ha!! Now this is an XUL knife! I can see how it could be enough knife to open packages, cut fishing line/dental floss, clean nails, carve dead flesh and maybe even gut out a few potato bugs, but the string I'd have to put on it so it won't blow away in the wind will double its weight...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Bear Grylls folder on 09/24/2012 15:02:59 MDT Print View

I have the smallest Gerber Bear Grylls (sp?) series folding lockblade knife.

> 3.25 inches (8.5 cm. ) long
> 2.5 inch (8 cm.) half serrated blade.
> 1 oz. (29 g.) with its short, braided Triptease lanyard. (The lanyard is necessary to keep from losing it.)

After going through many knives over the years this is THE lightest useable knife I can find. It is light because its plastic handle has no metal liners.

The Gerber LST is also nice if you want a slightly larger lockblade folder. Also no metal liners.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Kabar on 09/26/2012 10:01:51 MDT Print View

Checj out the Kabar 13 neck knife, wrap some para cord around the handle and you have a 1.2 ounce useable fixed blade knife for $10. I did research on an UL knife and this was the best quality and lightweight knife I could find per dollar.

Jack Richland
(BlackScoutSurvival) - F
Folding Razor Saw/Doug Ritter RSK MK5 on 09/26/2012 22:14:47 MDT Print View

Folding Razor Saw

I carry this knife daily on keychain. I sell this razor/saw combo on my site. Super light and tough, very similar to the Derma Knife.

http://blackscoutsurvival.bigcartel.com/product/folding-razor-saw

The Doug Ritter RSK Mk 5 is a small fixed blade that weighs 0.9 ounces and is very rugged to be such a small knife. hope this helps

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
Spyderco on 12/22/2012 08:41:49 MST Print View

I know things on the east coast and more directly the AT are much different than the West, but for me the Spyderco Ladybug Salt is perfect. It weighs less than an ounce and can remove splinters, cut line, and open tuna pouches. It being rust proof has made life much easier in the hot humid summers here in VA.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
The biggest, baddest Swiss Army knife ever! on 12/24/2012 05:11:55 MST Print View

knife

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
I'm Such a Little Cut Up! ;-) on 12/24/2012 06:05:54 MST Print View

While cruising the aisles at my local K Mart I spotted these little gems hanging up in the sewing notions department. They are a miniature version of the multiple bladed, plastic bodied, disposable utility knives you find in hardware stores.

Blister pack of 4

The blade can be retracted to a safe position inside of the plastic body. It has a "felt detent" in that position but does not lock there. Something or someone needs to move the slider button for the blade to extend. Stow it away with this in mind.

Blade retracted

With the blade(s) fully extended the knife measures 2 7/16" or 62 millimeters. There are three blade sections that can be broken off one at a time and disposed of as they dull.

Length fully extended

The thickness of the body including the slider button works out to .250" or 6 millimeters.

Thickness of body with slider button

Best of all on my digital scale one of these little gems weighs 0.10 oz or 2.83495231 grams. ;-)

As you open the blade you feel something of a detent at two points along the slider button's travel. There is no locking mechanism as found on their larger cousins.

I paid $2.99 for a blister pack of four. In round numbers they cost $0.75 each.

No I won't be chopping firewood with one of these. Still, for those who carry single edge razor blades as their super ultra light cutting implement this may be a cheap and easily made safer alternative.

I'll admit that on past hikes I carried a CRKT M16-10KZ folding knife with a 3 inch blade. The most use that I have gotten out of my folding knife is cutting open those hard to open foil packages of my Micropur tablets. One of these little miniature utility knives could have well handled that duty and saved me some ounces.

For the really hard core XUL hiker you can remove all but the last section of cutting blade and there is room to drill lightening holes in the plastic body to get below the ridiculously heavy 2.84 gram weight. ;-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Party On,

Newton

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Locale: San Francisco
Leatherman Style on 01/23/2013 21:23:01 MST Print View

The Leatherman Style at 23g is what I carry.

1.6" blade, scissors, file, tweezers.

I've never used the file, but everything else has proved very handy, and often so.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
All or nothing at all... on 02/16/2013 18:07:04 MST Print View

I've vacillated over this a fair bit, I've come to the conclusion that if I need a knife at all, I need a real knife, with a full size handle and a very tough blade. The trails I take are sometimes not trails at all, a knife is one of the most fundamental tools you need in the backcountry, so it's worth taking a real one.
I carry a Swedish fireknife it has much more utility per gram carried than some silly thing like the Baladeo 22 gram. I haveone, I hate it. I have a Leatherman style, if I was going to go truly minimal I'd probably get by with that.

I think sometimes lighter is not always better.
My $0.02

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
Spyderco Ladybug 3 on 02/17/2013 17:00:01 MST Print View

I've found a happy spot between weight and function with a 2" blade. I can easily make shavings/small kindling to start a fire and then do all the other random tasks that any smaller knife/razor could do. I had the Gerber LST but after using the Spyderco Ladybug 3 have found it to be a much more refined and enjoyable knife to use with some bigger knife features. 18g with lanyard.

Spyderco Ladybug 3

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Ladybug on 02/18/2013 07:32:01 MST Print View

I just got a ladybug salt, yellow. It weighs .6oz.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: ultralite knife on 02/21/2013 13:24:11 MST Print View

Does anyone by chance have the Buck Hartsook Ultralight....or Boker Grasshopper knife?

Hoping to get an accurate weight on either knife including sheath?

Re the Buck Hartsook Ultralight, I'm interested in the authentic version and not the Chinese made knock-off being sold on Ebay.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Cheap Cheap Cheap on 02/22/2013 12:18:55 MST Print View

Found at picnic site. Imperial Stainless paring knife. Took an edge well with an old farmer's stone. Won't fold up on you, easy
to clean, reaches to the bottom of the peanut butter jar, kinda retro. Probably dozens of these at the goodwill. Great for loaners.

21 grams, 3" fixed blade (long enough to be illegal to conceal in many cities).paring knife

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
RE: Singer Mini Cutters on 02/24/2013 09:23:41 MST Print View

Great affordable find! Thanks :-)

BTW - Thrift stores have good paring knife selections. Wood handles definitely have that cool retro vibe, but ones with the cheap black plastic handles have (so far) been the "lightest" YMMV

Edited by tr-browsing on 02/24/2013 09:28:05 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: ultralite knife on 02/24/2013 11:54:34 MST Print View

If you don't actually need a blade but would like to cut cord, moleskin etc.

2.5" sewing scissors.. 7.5g with a little carboard sheath so they don't stab a hole in anything.
http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Sewing-Titanium-Bonded-Scissors/dp/B000YZARO0

stefan hoffman
(puckem) - F

Locale: between trees
Baladeo 15g on 04/16/2013 14:48:09 MDT Print View

I really like this knife. I think its the most attractive UL option and the lockout is rock solid. I got it because not only is it the lightest one they make, but it has a hole for a lanyard and a lethally sharp point for splinter picking or stabbing into a trout with ease. I have fairly large hands so i put a really hard knot around the end through the lanyard hole. A tight enough knot becomes an extension of the knife body and a good firm place to grip with pinky or ring finger.

I should note that the knife was incredibly dull when i bought it. I kept the chisel grind, lessened the angle, and worked on the tip a little bit.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Gerber on 06/11/2013 00:49:02 MDT Print View

BTW, Gerber has knives in virtually any size but they have many small lock blade knives.

Edited by Danepacker on 06/14/2013 11:24:51 MDT.