Good news for those who pack their iPhones
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 16:37:52 MDT Print View

I include my iPhone 4 as part of my UL backpacking kit. I know there have been a number of threads about smartphone use in UL hiking, about the pros and cons. I find it to be a very useful multi-functional item that I use for pictures, to keep a daily audio journal, to play games while waiting out weather, etc. I was pleased to see the new iPhone 5 comes in at a listed 112 grams (3.95oz) dropping over an ounce from my current iPhone 4, that is thankfully over two years old and ready for an upgrade. It is also volumetrically smaller and will have a longer battery life.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 09/12/2012 16:41:02 MDT.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 16:53:07 MDT Print View

A few weeks ago I went out for 4 days solo. I almost never pack my iPhone but on this trip I did. I was glad too! I had a lot of rain one early afternoon before heading up Muir Pass (south to north). I decided to sit it out and set up my tarp in Big Pete Meadow. The only problem is I am not used to spending that much time in camp. I started a fire, which got rained out in a downpour, I fished until it rained and hailed, and I cooked. Finally, I put my headphones on and listened to music. I was really nice having it with me. I may bring it more often. I was also able to play a game or two which I never do.

Nice to see the new iPhone 5 will be lighter.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 17:34:03 MDT Print View

But I just heard the connector is different which would frustrating to say the least - that all my charging cables and more so, the external batteries I have, may be useless for an iPhone each other. Anyone have confirmation on that?

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
adapter on 09/12/2012 17:52:13 MDT Print View

well of coarse they will sell you a $59 adapter at the apple store

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 17:57:49 MDT Print View

Yes, connector is completely different, but there is an adapter. You'd be screwed if you had a charging case, that wouldn't work.

Edited by idester on 09/12/2012 17:58:34 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 18:12:44 MDT Print View

Do those adapters allow anything with a docking station to still be dockable with the new iPhone?

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Locale: North Shore
Re: Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 18:16:19 MDT Print View

Could just buy extra internal batteries and know how to replace them. After I had to replace the screen on my 3GS I was shocked at how easy it would be to just carry a few extra internal batteries and replace them on the trail. The screen pops out with knife. Little risky, but can be done.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good news for those who pack their iPhones on 09/12/2012 20:05:50 MDT Print View

"Do those adapters allow anything with a docking station to still be dockable with the new iPhone?"

Don't know but I'd doubt it, since it would make the iPhone sit up much higher on whatever you were trying to dock it to.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Adapters on 09/13/2012 13:46:56 MDT Print View

"Do those adapters allow anything with a docking station to still be dockable with the new iPhone?"

Yes, but it depends on how much height you have. If the docking station is completely open on top then you have room but the phone would sit higher due to the dock adapter.

The Lightning (new) to 30-pin (old) adapter is $30.
The Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable is $39.
The Lightning to USB cable is $19.

The phone will probably come with a USB-Lightning cable but I will buy more to keep in the cars and other charging locations in the house.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
ebay on 09/13/2012 13:52:38 MDT Print View

Just wait a couple weeks and eBay will be flooded with adapters and cables for less than $5

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Adapters on 09/13/2012 14:14:30 MDT Print View

It was time to change the port. IMHO the 30 pin port is weak. The question is why they didn't go to a standard USB connector. Why the iPhones don't use a swappable battery is another puzzle.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Re: Adapters on 09/13/2012 14:24:24 MDT Print View

"Why the iPhones don't use a swappable battery is another puzzle."

Probably a trade off they thought was worth doing to keep the phone as thin as it is without giving up battery capacity. Packaging a standard replaceable battery would be much less efficient.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Radio News Reported $29 on 09/13/2012 15:20:17 MDT Print View

for the adapter. $59 is awful high. I agree the external batteries are a biggy. What if you owned a stereo (I do) that takes all previous gen iphones and pods in pop-out door like an old CD player (did I just say old CD playero; welcome to the future baby). Anyway, there would not be room for an adapter in the drawer, so I guess it will become useless unless I want to run a stereo to stereo mini cable from the headphone out to the aux input. I do think the multii pin adapter is a flawed design, but apple kept it for so long. Something more easily compatable should have been created.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Adapters on 09/13/2012 15:40:57 MDT Print View

"Packaging a standard replaceable battery would be much less efficient."

Exactly. Apple is going away from user replaceable batteries in much of their line, much to the dismay of some users. The new Macbook Pro doesn't have one (the battery is soldered to the motherboard, I believe), the new Macbook Airs don't have one.