Forum Index » Chaff » iPhone 5

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 13:07:33 MDT Print View

Who's gonna get one? Besides me.....

I was actually pretty underwhelmed by the announcement/'show', but it's time for an upgrade and switch from AT&T to Verizon so I'll get the new phone in the process.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Re: iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 15:25:21 MDT Print View

I'm in on the iphone 5, and pretty much the same reason. Dumping ATT for better coverage, and better battery life

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 16:17:06 MDT Print View

My 4S isn't even a year old so no 5 for me. I do think the reductions in thickness and weight are nice although it's a little long for me.

Wait for iOS 6 and benchmarks before assuming the battery life is any better.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 16:23:38 MDT Print View

I just moved to Verizon myself but went with the Samsung Galaxy S3 instead of the iPhone, only for the fact I can change batteries and out and put a micro Sd card in it.

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
weight on 09/12/2012 19:38:45 MDT Print View

But, but, but it's 20% lighter!!!

I have the iphone 4. "Unlimited" data plan with verizon. I've been thinking about switching to AT&T when my contract is up. Seems like the trend is to do the opposite. My only beef is the price. I have a family shared plan with 3 phones. One is jumping ship to At&T next month, so that leaves two of us. It would actually be more expensive for the two of us on Verizon's new family shared plans than we pay now (if we reduced it to 2 phones and an ipad). The new verizon plans really favor larger families or shared groups than those of us with 2-3 phones. I also get a 23% discount with AT&T which I'm obviously not using right now. Yes, there is a catch...that 23% only applies to the base package. It doesn't include data...which chews up most of the bill.

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Re: Re: iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 19:41:44 MDT Print View

Stephen M,

Can you turn off the cellular antenna on the Galaxy S3? That's one of my biggest complaints with the iphone.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 20:44:18 MDT Print View

When you iPhone 5 adopters are thinking about what to do with your "outdated" iPhone 4's, think of me. I'd be happy to take that outdated technology off of your hands. ;-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: iPhone 5 - Eugene on 09/12/2012 20:48:51 MDT Print View

I'd be happy to send you my iPhone 4 when I get my 5 Eugene. It's a bit finicky, but quite usable. It's an AT&T phone, 4 not 4S, 32GB.

Finicky - the top button that puts it to sleep/wakes it is quite finicky. You have to press it just right to make it work. Doesn't really affect the performance of the phone at all, it's just a pain in the butt (especially when you're supposed to turn it off for plane rides.....)

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: weight on 09/12/2012 20:51:39 MDT Print View

Stephen most people are switching to Verizon with iPhones because many were under 2 year contracts. So as they come up they switch.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: iPhone 5 - Stephen P on 09/12/2012 20:59:20 MDT Print View

You can turn off the cellular antenna on an iPhone, as you probably know (Airplane Mode), but what is it you want to keep on with the cellular off?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: iPhone 5 on 09/12/2012 21:30:09 MDT Print View

Stephen,

You can put it in flight mode which turns off the antenna the same as the iPhone.

Cheers,

Edited by stephenm on 09/12/2012 21:32:05 MDT.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Iphone5 on 09/12/2012 22:54:31 MDT Print View

Doug,
What is it you were hoping for with the announcement program? I was actually pretty impressed with the upgrades across the iPhone, iPod, iTunes platform. I will be an iPhone5 adopter to replace my iPhone4.

Edited by BER on 09/12/2012 22:56:18 MDT.

jason quick
(jase)

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne
...but wait... on 09/13/2012 00:08:24 MDT Print View

I had an old phone on contract when the iPhone 3G was released...

...so I waited until the 3GS came out before upgrade...

...so I grabbed one...

...then the iPhone 4 was released two months later...

...so I thought...I'll wait until the iPhone 4S came out before upgrade...

...then the iPhone 4S was released...

...so I thought...I'll wait until the iPhone 5 was released...

...then the iPhone 5 was released...

...but perhaps I'll wait until the 5S or 6 come out??

...hahahaha. No...it's time.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
another adopter on 09/13/2012 00:09:49 MDT Print View

I'll be dropping my DROID2 for the iphone 5. I cant wait to get rid of this thing!

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: iPhone 5 - Stephen P on 09/13/2012 05:28:34 MDT Print View

I'd like to be able to use GPS without having my phone chew up a ton of battery life trying to find a cell signal.

I know the phone was designed to use cell towers and wifi along with GPS to find your location, but it has worked fine for me with just GPS.

Currently, you can shut off wifi and close down apps to save battery, but putting the phone in airplane mode will disable GPs as well. With the AT&T phones, you used to be able to remove the SIM card to disable the cellular antenna. Not sure if it still works that way.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
iPhone 5 on 09/13/2012 06:19:10 MDT Print View

Damn Apple quality. Still waiting for my eMac and click wheel iPod to bite the dust forcing me to upgrade. My aged Samsung phone just won't quit either. Dang it.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Re: iPhone 5 on 09/13/2012 09:36:11 MDT Print View

Don't even own a cell phone . . . .

Wouldn't mind having one but at $250 and $90 a month for a data plan they are simply too expensive to be worth it.

Now if I was managing projects or running a firm then a smart phone would be worth having.

R S
(rps76) - F
Cell Antenna on iPhone. on 09/13/2012 21:29:51 MDT Print View

Stephen P: You can do this. Just switch your iphone to airplane mode. Bub bye cell coverage.

James McDaniel
(BigEarth) - F
iPhone 5 on 09/13/2012 22:08:40 MDT Print View

"My aged Samsung phone just won't quit either. Dang it."

I'm in the same boat Ken;->

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Re: Cell Antenna on iPhone. on 09/14/2012 04:46:29 MDT Print View

Can't use any location services in airplane mode, therefor, no gps.