Is there any gear that your don't go light on?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Re: Is there any gear that your don't go light on? on 09/12/2012 01:27:30 MDT Print View

Sometimes photo gear (although the Sony RX100 has been something of a revolution for me in that department).

Sometimes I make decisions to carry more weight for the sake of comfort/versatility - ie, rain shell + tarp versus poncho tarp. Or I carry something a bit heavier than other options on the market because that's what I own (ie, I have one decent compass, headlamp, etc) and I'm not ready to spend XX dollars to save the odd ounce of weight when it doesn't really perform any better.

And all those folks who talk about bringing "heavy" sleeping pads - I don't blame them. A good night's rest is worth more than having one less pound to lug around in your pack. Comfort is always worth considering - you'll have more fun and be able to hike farther, faster when well-fed and well-rested.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Is there any gear that your don't go light on? on 09/12/2012 04:30:08 MDT Print View

Josh's post in this thread mentioned the wallet.

Here is my take on that same item. I use a clear, waterproof "wallet" that contains my license, credit card, medical insurance card, phone card and CASH.

When I'm out for 1 to 2 weeks on the trail my license is dual use, ID and the ability to drive to and from the trail head. The credit card and cash are for the trail towns and resupply points. The phone card is for the ability to stay in touch in areas without cell phone service when I have to resort to using pay phones in trail towns.

Yes, Virginia these things still exist

Party On,

Newton

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Knife on 09/12/2012 05:44:01 MDT Print View

I'm also a "knife knut" and there are some excellent choices in light weight ranges for survival.

Carry a Mora #2.
4 ounces, including the sheath.
Everything bigger is overkill.
All bushcraft and real survival knives are based on this design.

Regarding carrying heavier, I carry as light as my skills can permit, for all the required gear.
Then, if there is room for me to carry more optional weight, I carry the things that I want to carry. And what I "want" to carry may vary, depending on the purpose of the hike.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Is there any gear that you don't go light on? on 09/12/2012 10:12:41 MDT Print View

Jay mentioned his sleeping pad.

I have to concur as I recently switched to a small Prolite Plus inflatable pad. I almost doubled the weight of my shorty Ridgerest pad. The difference in comfort and a good night's sleep is worth the weight penalty.

Party On,

Newton

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Syn on 09/12/2012 11:37:26 MDT Print View

My summation ul7 is a luxury, but it's not really all that heavy compared to my ridge rest. It's also less bulky which is nice.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
... on 09/12/2012 11:47:16 MDT Print View

Sarcasm

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: ... on 09/12/2012 11:54:22 MDT Print View

"Sarcasm"

I use synthetic sarcasm, in case it rains.....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: ... on 09/12/2012 12:01:12 MDT Print View

"I use synthetic sarcasm, in case it rains....."

With or without a bivy?

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Re: Re: ...synthetic sarcasm on 09/12/2012 12:36:34 MDT Print View

sans bivy- the bivy can promote excessive comprehension which can degrade dry humor.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Mmm on 09/12/2012 12:46:36 MDT Print View

Idiots.
Ironic synthetic insulation is the biz.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Is there any gear that your don't go light on? on 09/13/2012 05:30:17 MDT Print View

Sure, my pillow. I realized at some point that, for me, my pillow matters more than my pad does, at least in terms of comfort (warmth is a different matter.) I've tried a bunch of UL pillows but, frankly, prefer the old foam Thermarest one. It weighs a whopping 7oz.