Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
CCF Cozy - good enough?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
CCF Cozy - good enough? on 09/11/2012 18:46:27 MDT Print View

So I destroyed my reflectix cozy on my last trip and forgot until today. I went around to all the hardware stores and couldn't find reflectix anywhere. So, I decided to make a cozy out of some scrap 1/8" CCF, duct tape, and a mailing envelope. A picture is below. The question I have is do you think the CCF would do a good enough job on its own without using the bubble mailing envelope?

cozy

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: CCF Cozy - good enough? on 09/11/2012 20:09:56 MDT Print View

Yes, the CCF will work fine. I've done the same, prior to switching to washed Mtn House food bags - way lighter and more compact.

I can't tell...does your cozy close to "seal in" the heat? If not, I suggest modifying it accordingly as it makes a difference.

Todd

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
it folds on 09/11/2012 20:22:52 MDT Print View

It does fold over to seal - can't really tell from the picture. I also created a foil envelope to sit inside it instead of using the bubble wrap. Everything weighs an ounce. Not the lightest but it will work.

Edited by Catalyst on 09/11/2012 20:23:30 MDT.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
choose cozy material to match function on 09/15/2012 22:45:13 MDT Print View

Choose your cozy material according to how much insulation you need.

As a slow learner, I burned my mouth too often on hot food, until I realized I didn't need such thick insulation (reflectix, 3/8 foam). For my FBC (freezer bag cooking), I'm mostly cooking small pastas, so I'm just using cut down insulated mailing envelopes. The larger the mailer, the larger the bubble size of the insulation in it.

I've still got reflectrix for my wide pot cozy and pot lid for canister use in the winter. I'm trying to avoid the weight and the escaping glue on duct tape.

Flat mailers for FBC are not as efficient as a cylindrical cozy on a beer can pot. Again, choose your cozy material to match what you need, since thicker is heavier so it is not always better. I hope you learn from my mistakes.