Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB Backpacking Grill
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/11/2012 13:34:09 MDT Print View

Looking for a small lightweight BP grill, about the size of Purcell Trench Packer.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
re: WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/11/2012 14:26:12 MDT Print View

If you aren't into the Zia grills that I make and sell, be sure to check out Josh Leavitt's nifty grills on his Ruta Locura web site. Or you could make your own from a cookie rack.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: re: WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 08:39:27 MDT Print View

@Gary, thanks for the recommendations. I did look at your Zia grill but the old BPL price tag ($70) is a little out of my price range. I rarely make a fire when I backpack, so not at all sure how much I'd use a grill. But I have an opportunity coming up in October and thought I'd pick up an inexpensive one and see how it goes. Turns out Purcell Trench is closed for September.

Maybe I'll take your suggestion to go the DYI route for this first trip and, if it's something I can see myself doing more often, I'll "invest" in one of yours. :) Do you have a website where you currently sell them, or should I contact you directly?

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 11:27:56 MDT Print View

Just a shout out for Gary's grills, which are a perfect blend of form and function. They are worth the money, and discounted through direct sales. There's nothing like cooking over a fire! Mike

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 12:40:19 MDT Print View

Thanks for the compliment, Michael. I'm glad you like yours.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
I've tried a bunch and I still like the Purcell Trench on 09/12/2012 20:52:29 MDT Print View

So, I'm not willing to sell mine. I am, however, willing to ask around and keep an eye out for one at a good price.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 20:56:00 MDT Print View

Old toaster oven.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 20:58:22 MDT Print View

Have you checked your recent IM's Sumi? I've sent you two, and you haven't responded. Please do.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 21:09:01 MDT Print View

@Gary, I have and just sent you a reply.

@My Grill Fairy... thank you.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

WTB Backpacking Grill on 09/12/2012 21:47:46 MDT Print View

Just to clarify things--I ain't no "Grill fairy." That's someone else, who remains anonymous. Sumi gets a free Zia grill, thanks to a generous benefactor whom I heartily endorse and respect. Ya gotta love the BPL PIF spirit!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

The Grill Fairy came through on 09/13/2012 15:03:57 MDT Print View

Sumi, your anonymous Grill Fairy came through for you, and I mailed a grill to you this afternoon. It will go via USPS 1st Class. Enjoy!