Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Weight of Fear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: The Weight of Fear on 09/11/2012 18:43:29 MDT Print View

Daryl -- i was thinking about this all day. Mine is thirst. I always carry too much water.

I do fear the reaper, but it is not a weight penalty.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: The Weight of Fear on 09/11/2012 18:57:37 MDT Print View

Tim,

I completely forgot about extra water. I too carry extra and rarely start out with less than 2 quarts. I sweat a lot and "fear" dehydration and the results of it (e.g. leg cramps, dry mouth, etc.)

Daryl

David K
(aviddk) - F

Locale: SW Oregon
Re: Re: Re: The Weight of Fear on 09/11/2012 19:50:44 MDT Print View

Daryl,

You should read the book "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Athletes. It will change your mind.

"http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347414536&sr=1-1&keywords=waterlogged

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
The Weight of Water Fear on 09/11/2012 19:59:49 MDT Print View

I also have the fear of not enough water, and there isn't a publication I could read that would change my mind. After around 20 years of frequently getting migraines when I backpacked (I rarely carried much water), a physician friend mentioned that the migraines could be due to dehydration. Next trip I carried a hydration bladder and forced myself to drink liberally and frequently. That was 15 years ago, and my backpacking migraines are now a thing of the past.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Weight of Fear on 09/11/2012 21:22:26 MDT Print View

David,

Thanks for the tip. I just put a hold request in to my library and will read it when my turn comes up.

Daryl

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
No fear here on 09/12/2012 21:04:55 MDT Print View

dfg

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
The Weight of Fear on 09/14/2012 00:53:06 MDT Print View

>> All my fears are left behind when i hit the hills <<

Mike - That's because in Scotland you are at the top of the food chain! We're not so lucky where I hike :)

While I certainly carry extra weight because of fear, I think there are two types of fear... "Fear of the unknown" which is caused by lack of experience (carry extra gear just in case "something unexpected" happens). The second kind of fear is "Fear of the known" and this is driven by experience! (and again we carry extra gear because the unexpected "has" happened to us before).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: The Weight of Fear on 09/14/2012 01:33:08 MDT Print View

"The second kind of fear is "Fear of the known" and this is driven by experience! (and again we carry extra gear because the unexpected "has" happened to us before)."

In that case, I'd hike with a divorce lawyer......

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Water weight on 09/14/2012 14:11:56 MDT Print View

I remember when I first use to backpack at Jousha tree national monument. I used to carry 6 liters of water in my MSR dromedary bags on my first two outings. Then I realized The water points or rest rooms were only about 2 to 3 miles apart so I went back to the usual 2 liters.
In Southern California you need to carry at least 2 liters to get you through the day or some times more water is scarce were we live in the out back. I also carry a small first aid kit that weighs about 2 ounces with a small curved carpet needle and nylon thread for stitching myself up if needed.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 09/14/2012 14:14:08 MDT.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Weight of Fear on 10/24/2012 11:04:34 MDT Print View

David,

I finally got the "Waterlogged" book from the library.

I can't say I read it but I did skim it. Wow, a lot of good info there!

The lesson I came away with is to (1) do everything in moderation and (2) follow my instincts and personal experience with respect to exertion, water intake and food.

Thanks for the reference.

Daryl

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
The Fear of Weight on 10/27/2012 11:37:06 MDT Print View

What if my fear is that my pack will be too heavy? I compensate for that by spending a ton of money on light stuff, leaving behind things I used to carry and telling my self I don't want them. I tell others they just don't get it if their pack weight more than a pot of coffee, to stem my fears.

A return to the 1970's and cast iron skillets on a carabiner is pending.

Ha Ha!! Just kidding! Take it, uh.... lightly.