Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » BOREDOM... Pictures:Gear (14.8 lbs)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
My Gear Photos on 09/10/2012 13:43:44 MDT Print View

Photobucket
All Packed Up

Photobucket
Gear Sprawled Out

Photobucket
Clothing

Photobucket
Shelter Packed Up

Photobucket
Stakes

Photobucket
Shelter Pitch (Polycro Groundsheet)

Photobucket
Bed

Photobucket
Water

Photobucket
Cook Kit Packed Up

Photobucket
Boiling Setup

Photobucket
Baking Setup

Photobucket
Frying Setup

Photobucket
Misc. Cooking Items

Photobucket
Misc. Items

Photobucket
More Misc. Items

Photobucket
Hipbelt Pocket Items

This is the gear that I use. Most recently 3 weeks ago on a 4 day 80 mile loop hike of the High Country Pathway in Vanderbuilt, MI. Never saw another soul on the trail, it was fantastic. Unfortunately now that I'm back in school it is going to be harder to get out.

Edited by cmich on 09/10/2012 16:40:21 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
trip on 09/10/2012 14:24:35 MDT Print View

"nfortunately now that I'm back in school it is going to be harder to get out."

i was gunna say if you're that bored go do an overnighter! i think theres an article on bpl about 24hour trips.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Glad you were bored! on 09/10/2012 15:02:06 MDT Print View

Okay, some of the pics are big (try resizing to 450 pixels wide), but I's sure glad you were bored. That's very instructive to see the gear all contained and then set out.

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
Pics Fixed on 09/10/2012 16:37:08 MDT Print View

Had to revert to my high school years of html, thankfully I remembered a little bit and got the giant pictures resized to a reasonable width.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
BOREDOM... Pictures:Gear (14.8 lbs) on 09/10/2012 17:51:42 MDT Print View

For a while I took pictures of my kit all spread out just because I found it amazing that I could stuff all of it inside my pack.
Most of those pics are gone but this is the ULA AMP and HH 3 day kit :

kit spread

The AMP is a 10 oz something pack...

Franco

Edited by Franco on 09/10/2012 17:57:37 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
? on 09/11/2012 23:32:00 MDT Print View

Is this all the gear you own? Or just what you take?

Why on earth do you have so many stakes?

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE: on 09/12/2012 07:53:12 MDT Print View

I own a lot more gear than what is shown, but this is what I take with me. In the summer I subtract some clothes and if its just a quick over nighter I usually only bring the boiling setup for FBC, but typically like cooking on trail. These reductions put me in the 12 - 12.5 lb range but I'm perfectly happy < 15 BW. I have so many stakes because I am very particular about my shelter setup. I like it to be 'rock solid'

Heres the run down on the stakes

10 ti Shepard's Hooks:
4-Corners of Polycro Groundsheet
4-Corners of YAMA bug net tent
2-Mid guylines on spinnshelter

4 D-Vac Stakes:
4-corners of spinnshelter (have not had pull in high wind loose soil like ti hooks)

2 Coghlans ultralight 9"
2-Ridgeline Stakes

2 Wooden Skewers
2-Mid section of bug tent (shock cord and stakes help hold the walls out giving more elbow room.)

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Baking setup on 09/12/2012 08:34:15 MDT Print View

Cool looking baking setup. How well does it work? Does it work similar to the bakepacker?

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE: Baking on 09/12/2012 13:03:08 MDT Print View

This baking setup works well and is decently efficient to boot. It uses the exact same steam baking principle as the bakepacker.

The only thing that I do not like about this particular setup is the pot size. I've tried baking in a plastic bag but the pot gets too hot and the ziplock freezer bag melts where it is touching the side walls. I've also tried parchment paper once and it wet out and fell apart due to the batter. Finally after searching all over I found some silicone muffin molds at Kohl's and these seem to do the trick. However you are limited to cooking only a small amount of batter at once (one muffin), which is kind of a PITA!

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Re: Baking on 09/12/2012 13:33:22 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give it a try some time. Searching online, I see some "jumbo" muffin cups that might work with a larger pot.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

baking on 09/12/2012 14:16:06 MDT Print View

I was looking into making a baking set up when i found this perfect single muffin silicone mold in the back of a drawer in my kitchen! Its a perfect size for a large single serve muffin and fits nice in my EN 900. All i need to do is put a small flat rock in the bottom of the pot and it balances well. Only downside is it weights about .9oz.

muf

travis, how much do your silicon cups weigh?

Edited by JasonG on 09/12/2012 14:21:31 MDT.

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE: baking on 09/12/2012 14:48:03 MDT Print View

Jason,
My silicone cups are these ones

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/foodnetwork_new/bake/PRD~965974/Food+Network+Reusable+Silicone+Baking+Cups.jsp

I paid $10 for 6 at Kohls, a little steep but couldn't find them anywhere else. They weigh in at 8.3 grams or .3 oz a piece.

Its hard to tell how deep yours is, but mine are only the size of a normal paper baking cup.

Edited by cmich on 09/12/2012 14:52:17 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

mold on 09/12/2012 16:36:56 MDT Print View

mine is 3 1/4" tall and 4" wide at the top and tapers down to 2" at the bottom.

Its perfect for solo use for one hearty sized muffin. obviously just one at a time

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: My Gear Photos on 09/12/2012 17:09:47 MDT Print View

Hi Travis,

I noticed you have a Led Lenser H7R headlamp, it's a nice bright lamp.

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE: H7R Lamp on 09/13/2012 19:21:35 MDT Print View

Yes it is very bright, 196 Lumen for 4.4 oz! Plus I like that you can adjust intensity as low as 3 lumen to save on battery life when you don't need a SPOT light.

Ben Figula
(cbjfig)
Baking setup on 09/18/2012 16:31:26 MDT Print View

Do you use any kind of simmer ring/cover on the stove to bake or is the heat deflector sufficient enough?

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
water funnel? on 09/18/2012 17:01:27 MDT Print View

Why do you bring the water funnel? Could you use a piece of panty hose over the bottle openings instead?

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE on 09/18/2012 18:09:59 MDT Print View

Ben,
I do not use any kind of simmer ring on my alcohol stove. I simply put 3/4 oz of fuel in my stove and use it in combination with the caldera cone and the bottom of a pie tin cut out for a bottom deflector and let it burn full force. When the fuel is gone I wait about 5 minutes before removing the lid and wa-la, a perfect biscuit!

Raquel,
Panty-Hoes would have been a sufficient prefilter, and lighter. But I liked the ease of filling a water bottle with the funnel. It fit both a water bottle and a wide mouth nalgene perfectly. However I just bought a sawyer squeeze, and this is will be the only filtering device I will carry. The reason I am doing away with the chemical treatment is because I prefer to drink at the source immediately upon collection. The 5 minute mix time and 15 minute wait time is a little annoying.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: RE: H7R Lamp on 09/18/2012 19:48:49 MDT Print View

I have one myself which I have been using for a year or so, I was surprised when you said it was 200 lumens, I looked up the Led Lenser site and it said it was 150 lumens, still great.

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE on 09/18/2012 21:04:53 MDT Print View

Stephen,

Mine may be a little different than yours. The one I have is made by coast not led lenser. Other than the brand name I don't think the lights are any different. Cant believe one is marketed at 150 and the other at 196...
Here is a link to the light that I have http://www.coastportland.com/hl7-led-headlamp.htm