Patrick Quinn
(PQ) - F
Pack for small trips/travel/biking on 09/10/2012 08:40:48 MDT Print View

Greetings,

I'm in the market for a new pack that I would like to meet the following needs:
1) Something that I could use for 2-3 day hikes,
2) Something I could use for vacations when I only bring carry-on
3) works for bike commutes and adventure walks/runs to the grocery store

I may be asking for too much with all these parameters but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Pack for small trips/travel/biking on 09/10/2012 08:47:48 MDT Print View

Something like HMG's Windrider might do the trick. I have a Windrider, and though it's starting to show some wear and tear, it's held up well for around 18 months of near-daily use commuting. It's expensive, but it's also rain proof. HMG has a larger pack now also I think, but for 2-3 days the larger option might be overkill.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Zpacks on 09/10/2012 08:52:05 MDT Print View

A small zpacks zero, add options if you use a hydration bladder etc. ~ 6oz

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
GG on 09/10/2012 09:01:36 MDT Print View

Gossamer Gear Rik Sak is 15 liters and just over 2 ounces.
Just basically a big stuff sack with padded shoulder straps, and is about $30.
Excellent for a very light pack if you don't need more than 15 liters.

Patrick Quinn
(PQ) - F
pack for hiking/biking/travel on 09/10/2012 09:32:24 MDT Print View

If I was looking for something a little more robust that would have some pockets, including a bottle/thermos holder and could carry a laptop and books safely, would you have any different suggestions?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Pat

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: pack for hiking/biking/travel on 09/10/2012 09:53:43 MDT Print View

Goruck Gr1

Especially if you want to carry laptop, books, etc and want something useful for travel.

Main disadvantage is no water bottle pocket, pricey, and not ultralight.

Edited by dag4643 on 09/10/2012 09:54:47 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: pack for hiking/biking/travel on 09/10/2012 10:00:06 MDT Print View

Mountain Hardwear and North Face are the brands that come to mind. It is the laptop that sways your choices I think. I would take the laptop to a big store and wade through the choices for fit and features. Timbuk2 has some backpacks, but all the ones I have seen were weak on carrying water on the outside, away from electronics inside.

I like a messenger style bag for urban/travel use. They are easier to manage in crowds, doorways, planes and mass transit. Osprey makes some good ones.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: pack for hiking/biking/travel on 09/10/2012 10:05:39 MDT Print View

If you are open to messenger bags, bailey bags are absolutely bulletproof and waterproof. Going on year 8 with mine. It also has attachment points for a Y strap for more stabilization when hiking, but it fits so well i have never used one.

http://www.baileyworks.com/

James McBryan
(jamesprepatrip) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
My pack on 09/10/2012 12:16:39 MDT Print View

I have a GoLite Jam pack, I love it and use it for every single use case you just described.

There's all the new backpack / pannier coming up from SlingFin:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1599748672/slingfin-honey-badger-backpack-and-convertible-bik

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Re: Pack for small trips/travel/biking on 09/10/2012 12:32:48 MDT Print View

I like Rakesh's suggestion of an HMG pack. The Summit pack is a little smaller, but a much cleaner design.

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Osprey Talon 33 on 09/10/2012 12:47:44 MDT Print View

I bought my Osprey Talon 33 to serve the exact same multi-purposes you mention. I LOVE it.

It is the perfect size for groceries, hugs your back while biking (in fact I chose it from a review website for mountain bike packs), and for weekend backpacking trips it can even hold a bear can.

Have run with it. It's larger than what I need/use for a 4-12 hour adventure race. Always awkward to run with a pack this big (33 liters) no matter how well made, IMO. At least it compresses and hugs the back well. Have run to the grocery store and walked back. If you do a lot of running/adventure racing, might want to go with a ~22 liter size - but then it won't be big enough to do a backpacking trip with. I also think 22L wouldn't be nearly enough space for a usual grocery trip.

I did cut off about 6 oz. of unneeded loops, straps, etc. to lighten it up.

- Elizabeth

Edited by mariposa on 09/10/2012 12:54:36 MDT.

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
carry-on on 09/10/2012 12:48:31 MDT Print View

The Talon 33 meets your carry-on requirements as well. I have never been challenged entering the plane with it.