Forum Index » Gear Lists » Indian Peaks Wilderness start of October kitlist, what would you pack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Indian Peaks Wilderness start of October kitlist, what would you pack? on 09/09/2012 17:48:22 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

I am interested to hear what kit folk would pack for a 3 day trip sleeping at about 11k in the Indian Peaks Wilderness at the start of October.

Cheers,

Stephen

Chris Grove
(clgrove)

Locale: Colorado Front Range
Indian Peaks Wilderness start of October on 09/10/2012 17:39:46 MDT Print View

A word of warning...

A few years ago, I was going to run/hike the Pawnee/Buchanan loop the first weekend of October. The Nedarland (8000 feet) weather forecast called for sun and 50*. It was 25* and snowing at Brainard Lake (10,500 feet). My dog loves snow so we did a short hike (2 miles out) before the conditions overwhelmed my shorts and fleece hoodie.

Fall in Colorado is tough for trip planning. There is a good chance the conditions will be perfect for running/hiking during the day or it could be the one weekend that winter shows up.

For those good conditions, I would plan on mid-50's during the day and high teen's for the nights. It will be windy on the passes/summits so bring a wind shirt. Chance of rain is low, snow would be more likely. The wind shirt should be able to handle light snow flurries. I would want a puffy jacket and long wool tights for the evening/morning. Basically, a shoulder season gear list.

If you are traveling to Colorado, I would recommend having a fallback plan (maybe Lost Creek Wilderness) if the forecast is crap.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Indian Peaks Wilderness start of October on 09/10/2012 19:04:14 MDT Print View

Thanks very much Chris,

That sounds about right with the weather.

We will definitley be brining warm bags with us.

Cheers,

Stephen

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Ditto on 09/10/2012 19:30:54 MDT Print View

Ditto what Chris said. What the weather forecast says and what actually happens here in Colorado can be...variable.

In the shoulder seasons, I'd be comfortable with a 20 degree bag and a puffy jacket/tights/wool socks to wear in my bag in case the temps really dip. Be prepared for the possibility of some snow as well.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Ditto on 09/10/2012 20:18:21 MDT Print View

Thanks Aaron,