Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Help with clothing system
Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Help with clothing system on 09/09/2012 14:50:58 MDT Print View

Every trip I struggle with my clothing system. I'm going on a trip to the evolution valley next weekend (S. lake to N. lake via Lamarck Col) and could use some advice. Should I add/remove/replace anything? (assume no gear limitations)

Here's what I've spec'd out so far:
Top:
Arcteryx phase SL long sleeve shirt. (thin wicking base layer)
Arcteryx phase SV long sleeve zip. (thick warmer base layer)
Melanzana grid hoodie (thin mid layer)
Stoic Wraith wind shirt
Montbell UL down parka
Marmot nano paclite shell.

Bottom:
Arcteryx Phase SV bottoms
Arcteryx Palisade pants
Montbell versalite rain pants

Head:
MH UL fleece beanie.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Help with clothing system on 09/09/2012 16:50:47 MDT Print View

Looks reasonable... though if it was me, I would lose the Arcteryx phase SV top and bottom and think twice about if I needed the Melanzana grid hoodie. I would think your light base + windshirt would be enough when moving, and you layer over those with the montbell when stopped if needed.

--mark

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Help with clothing system on 09/09/2012 17:14:08 MDT Print View

+1 on the Arcteryx phase SV top. The bottoms are more a question of how you handle cold and if you use them to extend your sleep system. Nice for cold /wet weather and shoulder seasons. I like long johns under rain pants rather than trying to wear regular hiking pants under, especially if you are going to wear them all day.

My own layering system is close to the same, but I use a Power Stretch hoodie and synthetic puffy vs down.

Other warm-ish weather schemes:

Long sleeve base layer
Mid-layer vest
Long sleeve puffy
Windshirt
Rain shell

-or-

Long sleeve base layer
Mid-layer hoodie
Puffy vest
Windshirt
Rain shell

I like the latter combo best. The vests combo well with any of the other long sleeves and your core is toasty. I like mid-layer stuff with a windshirt or rain shell, or just with base layer to take a little chill off. Great for sleep too. A mid-layer fleecy vest is a great summer day-hike CYA extra layer.

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Thx guys on 09/10/2012 02:38:41 MDT Print View

Great input, thanks guys. So it seems I should not be cold so that's a relief. Hrm... Maybe I could lose the Melanzana and be ok... Now ya got me thinkin.

I'd love to ditch the middle layers entirely and go all puffy, but the last time I did that my MB thermawrap parka turned into a soppy cold mess during a heavy rain and it made me sad.

Good point about the vest. Maybe I'll pick up one of those Blackrock ones in the future.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Thx guys on 09/11/2012 12:11:52 MDT Print View

Any reason why you were wearing your thermawrap parka as an outer layer? It should have either been under your rain jacket (when standing around), or it should have been in your pack (when moving).

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Thermawrap on 09/11/2012 15:01:36 MDT Print View

So this is the weird part. The thermawrap parka was under a shell, and I only wore it in camp. I'm guessing my shell failed to some degree, and then my body sweat drenched it the rest of the way? I probably squeezed a 1/2 a liter out of it the next morning.
It was in point reyes in December a few years ago, so the coastal fog and humidity on top of the rain probably didn't help.

For the record though it did dry very fast the next day and the loft returned. I wore it the following night and it was great.