The Obed in East Tennessee - Climbing/Camping trip - Video
Display Avatars Sort By:
Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
The Obed in East Tennessee - Climbing/Camping trip - Video on 09/07/2012 08:21:28 MDT Print View

Here's a video I put together of a trip I had over labor day weekend. Took about 10 people out to the Obed in east Tennessee (about an hour west of Knoxville if you know the area)for a climbing/camping trip. Most of them were new to climbing. We stayed at Del and Marte's for three nights and spent time climbing, hiking, drinking, and swimming - not necessarily in that order.

There's not a whole lot of ultralight ideals shown in this video but you may enjoy it regardless; especially if you're familiar with the area.

For the DIY guys - The white pack, hammock, tarp and top quilt shown (very briefly) in the video were all made by my brother - Michael.

Watch it in HD - everything was shot in 720

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh72DaEHz0U

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Obed on 09/07/2012 10:48:04 MDT Print View

Thanks for posting. I haven't been there since I used to do a lot of whitewater. Ay tips on prime backpacking loops there?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Obed on 09/07/2012 11:40:25 MDT Print View

One of these days i'll get down to Obed to climb.. have done RRG twice and still need to hit up the New also.. so much sandstone.. so far away.

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Excellent video on 09/07/2012 12:28:01 MDT Print View

I never watch video reports on this site, but glad i did watch this one. Makes me super jealous and happy for you guys - great time!

just noticed that you were barefoot on the wall....heheh

Edited by Yazon on 09/07/2012 12:39:45 MDT.

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
Re: Re: Obed on 09/07/2012 14:55:24 MDT Print View

I'm not sure - I know there's some good stuff in the Smokies all around that area, but I don't have any specifics. My brother might. He lives in Knoxville.

Jake - sooo much sandstone indeed. I haven't been to the Red or the New yet, but one of the guys in that video just moved to the New so now I've got a foot in the door.

Yuri - man I'm glad that you watched and enjoyed too! Winston threw his shoes down once he got to the top so he could hang around and take some pics of climbers coming up my route (for some sweet action shots).

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Yeah... on 09/07/2012 22:12:09 MDT Print View

I wish i could join you on a trip in the area some day as I've never really been outside of Cali and the place in the video looks just amazing. I used to climb when i was 16 and did some great routes in Europe, but all the skills have been forgotten since I had no practice in the last decade.

As I said....i'm glad to just watch you guys have a good time. Reminds me of the fun I used to have